Whaley Vs Beane

Penfield45

Whaleys 2016 draft... I rest my case..

• 1-19: Shaq Lawson, ER, Clemson. ...
  • 2-41: Reggie Ragland, LB, Alabama. ...
  • 3-80: Adolphus Washington, DL, Ohio State. ...
  • 4-139: Cardale Jones, QB, Ohio State. ...
  • 5-156: Jonathan Williams, RB, Arkansas. ...
  • 6-192: Kolby Listenbee, WR, TCU

51 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

Who brought in the better talent here? For all the hate Whaley got he brought in some quality players. He got screwed with the QB position. Beanes track record in FA is terrible and his draft picks look like question marks everywhere. Ed Oliver and Edmunds ...Front 7 signings...

And has anyone noticed our terrible contracts on defense? Trent Murphy is one of the highest paid players on this team. 

Murphy is the 9th highest paid player on the team.  We’d have saved $8M by cutting him and probably would’ve spent at least that on a comparable replacement.  Addison is getting $10.15M per season by comparison.

Honestly I’m wondering how much of our issues are scheme and how much is personnel.  For what we are collectively paying this defense we are getting crap in return. $51.2M tied up in the DL this season per Spotrac.

This is a fair question. I cringe at the thought of Beane running another offseason. He had almost $90 mill and we are worse off. I really don't want him running any more drafts. He's had hits and misses like any GM, but the misses are really piling up a lot faster than the hits -- especially in the top 2 rounds on draft weekend. Our DL has been absolutely horrible so far. Even Josh was so bad that no one besides the biggest Bills homers will refer to him as an MVP candidate any more. What potential GM candidates are out there?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

Who brought in the better talent here? For all the hate Whaley got he brought in some quality players. He got screwed with the QB position. Beanes track record in FA is terrible and his draft picks look like question marks everywhere. Ed Oliver and Edmunds ...Front 7 signings...

And has anyone noticed our terrible contracts on defense? Trent Murphy is one of the highest paid players on this team. 

That's because until White's contract kicks in we really don't have any expensive players.

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

I wish we could have resigned Shaq but other than that.  Diggs cost a hell of a lot less than Watkins.

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Lol I forgot Adolphus Washington was once a thing. Dear God.

I think there is still a clear overreaction here. Sure, we have some issues defensively but we have built a solid defense the first 3 years under his watch and the offense even got better. We have to fix things but in his defense, most teams have had a down year defensively. I'm not sure if it was the change in offseason activities and no pre season but I feel like we are a talented team, we're just off right now. I have seen enough over Beane's 4 years here to tell me what him and McDermott has built is good. A whole bunch of players don't go from 3 solid seasons to all of a sudden being really bad at football in one year. Something is off but it's not lack of talent

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I think there is still a clear overreaction here. Sure, we have some issues defensively but we have built a solid defense the past the first 3 years under his watch and the offense even got better. We have to fix things but to this team's defense, most teams have had down years defensively. I'm not sure if it was the change in offseason activities and no pre season but I feel like we are a talented team, we're just off right now. I have seen enough over Beane's 4 years here to tell me what him and McDermott has built is good. A whole bunch of players don't go from 3 solid seasons to all of a sudden being really bad at football in one year. Something is off but it's not lack of talent

We missed the payoffs for 17 straight seasons. Now, it looks like we will make it 3 of 4 seasons during a rebuild. This is not even a serious question. 

The overreaction after a loss is laughable. OK, two in a row, to the two teams in the AFC Championship game last year. There will be terrible losses. That’s the NFL. We just got beat by better teams and learned what we need to work on. Let’s get on doing that. 

Edited by Augie

1 minute ago, Augie said:

We missed the payoffs for 17 straight seasons. Now, it looks like we will make it 3 of 4 seasons during a rebuild. This is not even a serious question. 

Yeah, don't get me wrong, the defense has been awful this year but it's been bad all around the league. Like last year I remember Harrison Phillips was playing at a high level before his injury and got beyter from year one to year 2 and now he is getting benched. They're just off right now