Zimmer needs to replace Oliver in starting lineup

bills6969

23 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

If we could sign a NT and play a base 3-4 I wonder what it would look like. I would probably have Edmunds and Milano as my ILB’s with Hughes at ROLB and Dodson at LOLB. Get Epenesa back to 280 at RE and Oliver at LE. Obviously this would be for 2021 but I would love to try and copy what the Bucs are doing. The Bucs have guys blitzing from all over the place and confuse the hell out of the opposing offenses. I feel like Epenesa game is more power based, I would like to see him at 280lbs. I see him getting pushed around at 260

280 is even a small 3-4 end

Most 3-4 ends are 6'5 300 lb

You need massive length usually to play that technique

1 hour ago, ILBillsfan said:

great sarcasm :) i love it.........

some may not get it thought :)

Apparently some folks called into local Green Bay Radio saying it’s time to bench Rodgers and see the new kid. 

Seriously, people are lunatics.  They do not remotely consider knowledge or perspective as Prerequisites for spouting off. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

On 10/19/2020 at 8:23 PM, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Oliver was far more active/explosive than he was the last few weeks, he got his knee brace off this week and you can see hes getting healthier. Of course I know folks are mad right now

Oliver has 7 QB pressures.

Besides, Its my take that the Bills brain trust were far more worried about getting beaten deep by Mahomes to Hill so they dropped deep to defend the pass more...and got eaten by the run because of that scheme. and the inactive players. 

Where is Pat Williams when ya need him?

Edited by Nihilarian

28 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Oliver has 7 QB pressures.

Besides, Its my take that the Bills brain trust were far more worried about getting beaten deep by Mahomes to Hill so they dropped deep to defend the pass more...and got eaten by the run because of that scheme. and the inactive players. 

Where is Pat Williams when ya need him?

Ok what does any of that have to do with the post you quoted?

Oliver is solid.  Jefferson and Zimmer both playing very well so far. 

Taylor is a monster dude and he's got a nice contract, time to earn it.  Harrison is having a slow recovery.

Hughes seems invisible but is top 10 in qb pressures this year.

People cant slam our Dline for getting gashed in the run game when we are playing a 6 man front vs Helaire.  

Watch the D get better over these next few weeks and all the negativity will go away like it always does.

Meanwhile lets get Darryl Johnson, A.J, Cox some good reps getting after the qb this week

On 10/20/2020 at 7:13 AM, chef4131 said:

i certainly understand the comments about Zimmers poor play but he was a PS guy,.    How do you explain Oliver?  top 10 overall draft pick...if i am not mistaken Oliver was not on field for the last game deciding drive by KC   (Hurt??)

Oliver has been playing 1 tech taking on blockers because we have nobody else that can do it. At 285 in the nfl that’s not good, that’s on coaches and front office for not having the proper personnel. 

On 10/20/2020 at 8:55 PM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Love the 34 but just dont see it here. We just need big DTs and Ends in the 275 range and we would be fine, kind of like the previous 3years. Blitzing would also be nice , this over conservative zone  sucks when you dont have the horses up front. We could use some Jim Schwartz aggressiveness right now, he literally transformed our defense from a joke to terrorists in one year with the same guys.

We’re one of the higher blitzing defenses this year going into the chefs game. Our players aren’t good at it.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/20/2020 at 9:17 PM, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I would say the D-Line is going to be overhauled to some extent in 2021. I think the transition to a 3-4 would be a good idea but we would need a new DC for that. Dan Quinn is a guy I would keep a eye on. He is probably going back to being a DC and someone I would throw money at. Quinn was one of those guys who is a great DC but not so good as a HC. 

Wade Phillips is the best 34 guy in the biz

On 10/20/2020 at 9:16 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Phillips was a penetrating beast but just terrible against the run other than that occasional TFL.

They tried to put him at 1T but he never played with much balance and he just couldn't do it.......he immediately gave up his shoulder and got washed whichever way the OG wanted him to go.

Liuget was more of a 280-290# guy and also pathetic against the run so your memory is off there.   

Star was a net loss against the run as well and whatever they lose in size with him they got back in the 340# Vernon Butler.

Their two best run defenders at DT last year were Oliver and Harrison Phillips.

They are both back but neither is at full strength.   

People forget that this team has been totally trampled in the run game at times in every season since McD has been here.   

Remember Philadelphia coming into Buffalo and throwing up 200 on the ground last year?  

And it was the inability to stop the Texans run game that sparked their comeback in the playoff game. 

At least the poor run defense yesterday had the excuse of being because of 6 man boxes all night.

Keep telling yourself that.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/21/2020 at 6:47 PM, Buffalo716 said:

280 is even a small 3-4 end

Most 3-4 ends are 6'5 300 lb

You need massive length usually to play that technique

We just have so many good LBs that you would plY your DL out of position to make it work

I've seen the YouTube video of Zimmer getting blown up... but there's also this...

https://theathletic.com/2154752/2020/10/22/bills-chiefs-tremaine-edmunds?source=user-shared-article

Zimmer and the Bills were at their best when he lined up at one-technique. He played almost exclusively with Butler, outside of a few third-down passing plays when Mario Addison slid inside into a stand-up, three-technique position. On ten designed runs against the Butler-Zimmer pairing, the Bills allowed only 1.6 yards per carry for a total of 16 yards. Five of those ten attempts went for zero or negative yards and seven were for negative-4. Zimmer took 20 snaps at one-technique compared to nine at three-technique. When the Bills flipped Zimmer to three-technique and Butler to one-technique, the results were more in line with the rest of the game, with them allowing 27 yards on four carries (6.8 yards per carry). Zimmer held the point of attack as the one-technique and must have a spot in the lineup for as long as he keeps this up.

On 10/20/2020 at 7:38 PM, mattynh said:

Oliver wussed out big time on a screen in the first half.  

If Oliver is going to be Darius 2.0 then OK, but I have no way of knowing. The league as a whole lacks talent at DT except Washington.

I think Oliver's leg whip he committed a few wks back hurt his explosion...however, for an 8th overall, pick.......His extremely underwhelming 

Play this year is journeyman stats...simply put, we he will never live up to the 8th overall pick as an undersized dt from a crappy program 

7 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

Not sure what games you've been watching, friend.

Well I haven't seen any where Zimmer outplayed Oliver. Oliver has been very up and down and I am disappointed with his performances overall this season. But he hasn't been awful or "invisible" as the accusation stands. And Zimmer has done okay for a practice squad guy but he got completely blown off the ball multiple times on Monday.

• Like (+1) 3

On 10/20/2020 at 9:10 AM, bills6969 said:

In Zimmer’s short time on the field, he had 3 more tackles and 1 TFL. Oliver is a waste of space and frankly, is looking like a bust.

Stephen Colbert called. They want you on ZOOM.

On 10/22/2020 at 12:51 PM, Hampton Josh fan said:

Even though Oliver has been pushed around by O-lineman,  don't you have to stick with such a high draft pick. He seemed to improve last year as the season moved along. The problem this year is there is no Phillips, with his 10 sacks, being a force in the middle. 

Phillips was a force, but on very few plays. He was bad against the run and had very few pressures outside of his sacks, which is kind of weird, but true. I liked his personality, but he was more lucky than very good. And his record shows the same this year.

Apologies if it's already been mentioned on this thread, but i'm not hearing much about the supposed 'upgrade' in DL coach in Eric Washington in relation to the poor performance of the DL this season.  I'm not close enough/knowledgable enough to accuratley compare him with his predecessor, but all the talk in the off season was this was a huge upgrade.

From what I read/hear on the DL there doesnt seem to be much scrutiny on Washington's impact and the blame seems to lie solely with Frazier/the players.

Edited by NI Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 2