Sean McDermott-Overrated

McBean

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

There is a difference between sitting on the Super Bowl and cleaning it, right now we have our toilet scrubbers out cleaning up KC's *****.

While I certainly can't disagree with the toilet scrubbing part, you have to admit that there aren't too many teams that would've done much better in that game. At the end of the day, we move forward and win the games we should win and try to make improvements where we can.

I still think this team can beat most of the NFL right now. We are still not in a place where we can expect to beat the 5-6 elite teams. There could be a surprise or two in either direction, but I fully expect that the Bills will end up 12-4 or 11-5. This is where we are at in the growth curve. We should lose the Seahawks and Steelers games. We probably will lose one more, perhaps to the Cardinals or possibly the 49ers. If we don't lose one of those, we could lose the finale to the Dolphins, I suppose.

Then again, it's why they play the games.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

While I certainly can't disagree with the toilet scrubbing part, you have to admit that there aren't too many teams that would've done much better in that game. At the end of the day, we move forward and win the games we should win and try to make improvements where we can.

I still think this team can beat most of the NFL right now. We are still not in a place where we can expect to beat the 5-6 elite teams. There could be a surprise or two in either direction, but I fully expect that the Bills will end up 12-4 or 11-5. This is where we are at in the growth curve. We should lose the Seahawks and Steelers games. We probably will lose one more, perhaps to the Cardinals or possibly the 49ers. If we don't lose one of those, we could lose the finale to the Dolphins, I suppose.

With the way the defense is playing it's hard to go into any game and feel like your going to win. I don't consider the Jets a football team.

32 minutes ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

People are starting to see the light when it comes to McD. He is an average coach and that's all he ever will be. He's a slightly better version of Jauron.

No McDermott is a good coach. But right now is a make or break on how to help the team out. Being rationale just waiting to see how he adjusts and changes moving forward.

15 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Raiders and Rams are both pretty elite in my eyes.

3 minutes ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

Is he a good coach?

He still is in my eyes. People quickly turn on people after couple bad games lol.It's sad. I'm just waiting rest of the year. Right now is adjustment time for coaching on how to get the team better.

15 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

We just lost to the 2 AFC Championship teams.  

I know it was at home with all our fa.....my bad.  Nevermind.  

We need Felciano and Spain back up front.  Ike was fine.  

Agree with this man.

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

You think we take 4 or even 5 games out of NE, SEA, AZ, SF, PIT, NE and then sweep the rest? We're FAR closer to my original prediction of 9-7 based on recent performance. I think they beat the Jets, making it look harder than anyone else has, but after that, I honestly wouldn't be shocked if they lost out. Miami is playing very well. and  we've seen the Chargers and Broncos put up games. The rest of the schedule listed previously is a nightmare. The Bills got to the playoffs in very weak years for the AFC. Having to play the NFC west and an improved AFC makes this an uphill climb.

Edited by BullBuchanan

1 minute ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

He still is in my eyes. People quickly turn on people after couple bad games lol.It's sad. I'm just waiting rest of the year. Right now is adjustment time for coaching on how to get the team better.

Agree with this man.

I think he’s mediocre. That statistic proves otherwise up to this point. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

No McDermott is a good coach. But right now is a make or break on how to help the team out. Being rationale just waiting to see how he adjusts and changes moving forward.

Raiders and Rams are both pretty elite in my eyes.

Like the Bills, there's a difference between solidly elite and pretty elite. The Bills might be considered pretty elite, at least on some days. Same with the Packers. IMO, the Seahawks, Chiefs, Steelers, Titans and Ravens are solidly elite right now. For whatever reason, there is a dropoff to pretty elite in the next bunch which includes the Packers, Rams, Cardinals, Raiders, 49ers, Bills and possibly the Colts. The Browns should be pretty elite, but they're the Browns. Everybody else is either you never know what you'll get week-to-week or they just stink.

Injuries affect this assessment, but that's life in the NFL.

4 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

You think we take 4 games out of NE, SEA, AZ, SF, PIT, NE and then sweep the rest? We're FAR closer to my original prediction of 9-7 based on recent performance. I think they beat the Jets, making it look harder than anyone else has, but after that, I honestly wouldn't be shocked if they lost out. Miami is playing very well. and  we've seen the Chargers and Broncos put up games. The rest of the schedule listed previously is a nightmare. The Bills got to the playoffs in very weak years for the AFC. Having to play the NFC west and an improved AFC makes this an uphill climb.

This is certainly possible, but I don't see it that way. Getting embarrassed by the best elite teams does not make losing out probable.

Edited by clayboy54
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Like the Bills, there's a difference between solidly elite and pretty elite. The Bills might be considered pretty elite, at least on some days. Same with the Packers. IMO, the Seahawks, Chiefs, Steelers, Titans and Ravens are solidly elite right now. For whatever reason, there is a dropoff to pretty elite in the next bunch which includes the Packers, Rams, Cardinals, Raiders, 49ers, Bills and possibly the Colts. The Browns should be pretty elite, but they're the Browns. Everybody else is either you never know what you'll get week-to-week or they just stink.

Injuries have affect this assessment, but that's life in the NFL.

This is certainly possible, but I don't see it that way. Getting embarrassed by the best elite teams does not make losing out probable.

I never said losing out is probable. I said it's possible and that I wouldn't be shocked. What we saw the first 4 weeks was fools gold. It started to show in the Rams game, but they ran out of time. There is no evidence or reason to believe we should be beating good teams right now, because we are not a good football team. We're average at best. Average might be good enough to make the playoffs, but like our previous trips, we'll be shown to be pretenders immediately. That is, until something meaningful changes. Look at our schedule again and find me more than 5 wins in it.

Firing Frazier would be a good start, but I fear that as long as McDermott is in charge, this team will never surpass beating bad teams and losing to good ones.

Edited by BullBuchanan

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

The offense looks better than the defense. But the defense isn't "the problem." They're part of the problem.

Against the best teams, the offense has been pretty bad.

"When the O can't score 25 we lose," you say? 25 a game is average this year. So yeah, when the offense is below average we're likely to lose. The defense hasn't been good. But since teams have started playing deep enough to make the offense start to play more of a short passing game, they haven't looked good. Hopefully they'll figure a way past this, but it's not looking like a sure thing.

You’re right there are probs on both sides. But, the D have let this team down 10x (plays) more than the O. On avg some games the O won’t produce 25 pts and in years past this was the case. But the D would hold the other team then to at least give the O a chance. I’m just saying the disappointment has done a 180° this year—frustration with the D more than O. If the O reverts the team is in some significant trouble, which we’ve just seen having played 2 very good teams. 

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I never said losing out is probable. I said it's possible and that I wouldn't be shocked. What we saw the first 4 weeks was fools gold. It started to show in the Rams game, but they ran out of time. There is no evidence or reason to believe we should be beating good teams right now, because we are not a good football team. We're average at best. Average might be good enough to make the playoffs, but like our previous trips, we'll be shown to be pretenders immediately. That is, until something meaningful changes. Look at our schedule again and find me more than 5 wins in it.

Firing Frazier would be a good start, but I fear that as long as McDermott is in charge, this team will never surpass beating bad teams and losing to good ones.

As I said in my other post, I am finding wins against everybody except the Seahawks and the Steelers. I predict we'll probably lose to one of the Cardinals or 49ers depending on their health. I will stick to that and say 11-5.

Yes, that means we are losing to all the elite teams we face.

The Process, the process, the process......  So tired of hearing that.

25-23 his first 3 years and he was a genius..... 

2 Playoff losses (both winnable games).

I was too ready to buy into the hype at 4-0, because they had discovered that throwing the ball actually works in the NFL.

Last two games the warts reappeared.

The offense again looks lost & the defense is 30th in the league in stopping third down conversions (often 8+ yards).  

The stunt at the end of the 3rd quarter was classic McD and then lack of urgency was obvious.    

• Awesome! (+1) 1

i've long been wondering if he was a good coach.  you watch vrabel pull some tricks during games to give him an advantage...like the on purpose penalty, and running the clock agains the pats in the playoffs with a penalty, or just running it 40 times against the pats.  those are things that mcd doesn't have in his arsenal. 

First place, surrounded by losers. Two playoff appearances. Miami just bizarrely pulled their starting QB despite playing above average. The Jets couldn't be more of a mess.

But sure, go ahead and tell yourself McDermott is sub-par if it gets you through the week.

3 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

You’re right there are probs on both sides. But, the D have let this team down 10x (plays) more than the O. On avg some games the O won’t produce 25 pts and in years past this was the case. But the D would hold the other team then to at least give the O a chance. I’m just saying the disappointment has done a 180° this year—frustration with the D more than O. If the O reverts the team is in some significant trouble, which we’ve just seen having played 2 very good teams. 

10x more? I'd have to agree with you if you're talking about the first four games. But I'd argue it's pretty comparable the last two.

You're right that it could be because we played two very good, smart teams. But they figured out a way to play this offense better. That was always the likelihood, that someone would figure out a way to defense them. So far, they haven't made anyone pay, and so we'll likely see defenses play the Titans version of a defense for the Bills until our offense shows they can handle it consistently.

And you're certainly right that in past years this defense played much better. The question is when (if?) they get healthy and adjust, can they significantly improve their level of play. I'm hopeful but not very confident, not with this roster, not without Star. He's not the only reason we're playing poorly but he's a lot of the reason we're playing poorly against the run.

Everyone keeps throwing McDermott’s record out there... and nobody wants to apply context to it. The reason people were excited about a guy who was 25-23 in his first 3 seasons is the context. 

The 2017 Buffalo Bills were projected to be an absolutely horrendous football team... #1 pick bad. They went 9-7. Some will say they “backed their way into the playoffs” which is just a stupid comment. Unbelievably stupid. If Cincinnati beats Baltimore 2 weeks earlier and our win against Miami gets us in... did we back in? Give me a freaking break. 

The 2018 Buffalo Bills were once again projected to be an absolutely horrendous football team... #1 pick bad. Many projections having them win less than 4 games. They went 6-10. Not to mention they played Josh Allen, someone who many argued shouldn’t even be in the NFL... wasn’t ready to play and would be out of the league quick. 

The 2019 Buffalo Bills were projected to be average... everyone mocked Josh Allen and the team that we had. We managed to go 10-6 and clinch a playoff spot before the final week of the season. They collapsed in the playoffs and again lost by 1 score. 

He’s managed to take teams with less talent and get them to perform above what anybody expects. This impatient fan base distorts EVERYTHING. The team was rebuilding... they tore absolutely everything down and they continued to have success. The Buffalo Bills are 4-2 right now and 2 games up in the AFC East. Our entire division has to play the AFC and NFC West. It won’t necessarily be a cakewalk for them either. 

Yeah, I’m embarrassed by the past two performances. Yeah, adjustments sure need to be made, you’d be crazy to say they don’t. Yeah, we’re not clicking on all cylinders early in the season against good teams all the time (yes, the Dolphins, Raiders and Rams are good teams too). 

The sky doesn’t have to fall 6 weeks in when we’re leading our division. Everyone screaming about how we backed into the playoffs so McDermott isn’t good, get a grip. Everyone screaming about how we went 10-6 last year because our schedule was weak, get a grip. 

We’re probably going to end up 10-6 again this year against a more difficult schedule and the same people are gonna whine and cry because “We showed no improvement with our record. We went 10-6 this year and 10-6 again. Unacceptable!” 

Are y’all this ridiculous and negative in your day to day life? Do y’all overreact to everything without actually going through all the facts and assessing things with an even hand? I mean seriously.. I know there are studies on how fans are irrational but people here take the cake. Whenever something goes right, y’all hedge and say it’s not gonna last. That way when there’s a blip on the screen, you can come out and say you’re right. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

McD has earned himself some street cred for keeping the raging inferno that was our tattered 2018 salary cap casualty roster from completely imploding, can somehow (Allen?) squeezing 6 wins out of that year...making the playoffs in each of the other seasons (how quickly we forget what the previous generation had to watch week in, week out--whatever it was, it wasn't a playoff team during that stretch) and overall restoring a sense of pride, legitimacy and yes, culture, to a franchise that had lost its way. All of that to say I fully expect a rebound from this team the rest of the way, but if that does not happen, or the Bills look ill-prepared with no adjustments and wind up flaming out, then of course that's a major problem. At this point I'm not ready to write him off, not even close. Frazier on the other hand, I have to wonder what is going on over there? We have the tools, go make 'em work, coach!!  

35 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Everyone keeps throwing McDermott’s record out there... and nobody wants to apply context to it. The reason people were excited about a guy who was 25-23 in his first 3 seasons is the context. 

The 2017 Buffalo Bills were projected to be an absolutely horrendous football team... #1 pick bad. They went 9-7. Some will say they “backed their way into the playoffs” which is just a stupid comment. Unbelievably stupid. If Cincinnati beats Baltimore 2 weeks earlier and our win against Miami gets us in... did we back in? Give me a freaking break. 

The 2018 Buffalo Bills were once again projected to be an absolutely horrendous football team... #1 pick bad. Many projections having them win less than 4 games. They went 6-10. Not to mention they played Josh Allen, someone who many argued shouldn’t even be in the NFL... wasn’t ready to play and would be out of the league quick. 

The 2019 Buffalo Bills were projected to be average... everyone mocked Josh Allen and the team that we had. We managed to go 10-6 and clinch a playoff spot before the final week of the season. They collapsed in the playoffs and again lost by 1 score. 

He’s managed to take teams with less talent and get them to perform above what anybody expects. This impatient fan base distorts EVERYTHING. The team was rebuilding... they tore absolutely everything down and they continued to have success. The Buffalo Bills are 4-2 right now and 2 games up in the AFC East. Our entire division has to play the AFC and NFC West. It won’t necessarily be a cakewalk for them either. 

Yeah, I’m embarrassed by the past two performances. Yeah, adjustments sure need to be made, you’d be crazy to say they don’t. Yeah, we’re not clicking on all cylinders early in the season against good teams all the time (yes, the Dolphins, Raiders and Rams are good teams too). 

The sky doesn’t have to fall 6 weeks in when we’re leading our division. Everyone screaming about how we backed into the playoffs so McDermott isn’t good, get a grip. Everyone screaming about how we went 10-6 last year because our schedule was weak, get a grip. 

We’re probably going to end up 10-6 again this year against a more difficult schedule and the same people are gonna whine and cry because “We showed no improvement with our record. We went 10-6 this year and 10-6 again. Unacceptable!” 

Are y’all this ridiculous and negative in your day to day life? Do y’all overreact to everything without actually going through all the facts and assessing things with an even hand? I mean seriously.. I know there are studies on how fans are irrational but people here take the cake. Whenever something goes right, y’all hedge and say it’s not gonna last. That way when there’s a blip on the screen, you can come out and say you’re right. 

This

Upon further review, I have some reluctant support for last night's strategy.  Had we gotten the late fumble and stolen a win, I dare say that some might have called it genius.

Basically, it worked.  It was brutal to watch - KC grinding out 1st down after 1st down. But it kept the score down, and gave our offense an opportunity to get the W.  The offense was really more of the let down than the D.

Coaching in the league is not good, in general.  I think McD is probably one of the better ones.  I certainly don't think he's on the hot seat.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

But against real teams last year this team was owned and exposed similar to what is happening now and this team lost 3 of their last 4 regular season games, and 4 of 5 overall including the playoff debacle against BOB (now fired) and the Texans.

Yes we could do a lot worse than McDermott and have, but this guy is never going to lead this team anywhere but one and done in the playoffs and will be exposed once and for all this year while we watch the Pats win the division again, and possibly Miami leapfrog us as well.

I just don't fully agree when the guy has only shown progress, and the team is clearly improving. You can't really say "he's never going to" at this point. You're jumping the gun. You need a Marvin Lewis like streak of ineptitude before you can make such claims. Let's at least see what this year brings first, especially considering we're still currently #1 in the division and have a very good shot at the playoffs. Again.