Sean McDermott-Overrated

McBean

On 10/19/2020 at 8:08 PM, McBean said:

You can't name me one signature win in 4 years.

He hasn't beaten the Pats, sucked on primetime, and only beat the Steelers because the QB was named "Duck."

The Tennessee Titans have adopted their coaches attitude: Tough, resilient, aggressive, and don't back down from ANYBODY.

Our Bills have adopted their HC attitude: Timid, soft, and conservative with no aggression.

Sean McDermott was supposed to be a defensive guru yet, his defense is the worst I've seen in years.

A couple of other things:

1. The fake snap count to draw opposing team Offside DOESN'T WORK. It's soft. It's conservative. It's stupid. We let them rest for 5 minutes to just completely blow up the next play then proceeded to punt. That cost us huge.

2. I want somebody to be responsible for using this much capital into the defensive side of the ball through draft picks and free agents yet, we still SUCK. It's not acceptable and somebody needs to take ownership.

Make no mistake, this team is soft and can't compete with the big boys. We choked twice on primetime and will be lucky to win the East. The Patriots will shred this team.

We as fans deserve to be pissed because we have suffered to damn long to support this crap.

So you post on this RIGHT AFTER a loss. Feelings must have been through the roof. 

Suggestion:

Let the alcohol wear off before you post again.

There is only one Bill Belichick.  A coach who can constantly adapt and change strategy, regardless of personnel and circumstances around the team.

The vast majority of coaches in the NFL are average.  They have a system/scheme, and their success is dependent on having the right players to execute it.  

McDermott's first three years, he was without a Top 15 franchise QB.  But his defenses were good enough to carry the team to the playoffs twice.  If you can make the playoffs without a franchise QB, then coaching is not the problem.  As I've mentioned in other posts, the McDermott/Frazier defense is heavily dependent on the 1-Tech DT and having two athletic LBs.  Due to Star Lotulelei unexpectedly opting out and the injury to Matt Milano, this defense is without two of its key pieces.

If we can find a decent 1-Tech DT available for trade, and Milano gets healthy, then I'm optimistic this defense will turn it around.

If we don't, this is going to be a struggle all year long.  Our coaching staff is not good enough to totally reform the scheme in the middle of the season, but neither are 99% of the coaches in the NFL.  Belichick is in a class by himself.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

There is only one Bill Belichick.  A coach who can constantly adapt and change strategy, regardless of personnel and circumstances around the team.

The vast majority of coaches in the NFL are average.  They have a system/scheme, and their success is dependent on having the right players to execute it.  

McDermott's first three years, he was without a Top 15 franchise QB.  But his defenses were good enough to carry the team to the playoffs twice.  If you can make the playoffs without a franchise QB, then coaching is not the problem.  As I've mentioned in other posts, the McDermott/Frazier defense is heavily dependent on the 1-Tech DT and having two athletic LBs.  Due to Star Lotulelei unexpectedly opting out and the injury to Matt Milano, this defense is without two of its key pieces.

If we can find a decent 1-Tech DT available for trade, and Milano gets healthy, then I'm optimistic this defense will turn it around.

If we don't, this is going to be a struggle all year long.  Our coaching staff is not good enough to totally reform the scheme in the middle of the season, but neither are 99% of the coaches in the NFL.  Belichick is in a class by himself.

Nice post!

BB is 100% in a class of his own. However, he is seeing first hand what not having Tommy feels like. You can finally smell some blood in the water at this phase.  

There is a lot of season left though. I still 100% support the Bills FO and coaching staff. If we manage to somehow drop both games to the Pats, I too might start second guessing crap if McD goes 0-8 over a 4 year span against them. 

Time will tell, just win the #$%^&*@ Division!

Again McD seems like a good coach to date.  I've had plenty of issues with him, but definitely done some good things.

What he has not shown is he is anything more then good (if that) to date.

Again the issues

1. Terrible at halftime adjustments

2. Conservative close to the vest has cost the Bills wins

3. Blown out way too often

4. Record vs. playoff teams

5. Record vs. teams over .500, which is 5 wins in 2017-19

6. Terrible at challenges

7. Hasn't shown the ability to adapt

8. Named Peterman the starter in a playoff hunt & doubled down year 2

9. Only coach to go 48 games with out a 300 yard passing game from the offense

10. 30, 29 & 24th ranked offense first 3 years

Also I wanted to start a new thread, but decided against it.  2017-19 the bills averaged 18.4 points/game & 310 yards of offense a game (context Mahomes in his two seasons 2018/19 averaged 303 passing) & you wonder why I clamour for some offense?

Edited by Billsfan1972

2 hours ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Easy there, Hoss! 

What is the reality of the McD era? 

Well, we know for sure it was a 5 Alarm Tire Fire BEFORE he got here! But like the OP, my ONLY metric is equivalent to his “signature win” criteria. I don’t give a fiddler’s fart about rolling the league stiffs in a given year. I want to know and have tracked for every millennial year, what have the Bills accomplished against Playoff Teams of the SAME year? I don’t care, T this juncture, about winning by 1 point or 30, by fluke, by determination, by great plays and bad plays.

Simply, what happened? The answer is, PRE McD, they were awful, winning at a 19-78 pace or 24%... about 9% on the Road. Terrible, right?

And now your ‘miraculous HC’?

Bills under McDermott v.s. Same Year Playoff Teams

2017 = 2-4

2018 = 0-7

2019 = 1- 4

2020 =  0-2 ?

TOTAL = 3 - 17  OR 20%

They are WORSE!

There are at least 2 other Likely Playoff Bound teams coming up, not counting N.E. - Seattle & the Steelers. Keep track. 
NADA has been markedly improved as yet.

And blowout wins over the Trevor Lawrence candidates, never count!

I respect what you are saying. I don't think it's a realistic gauge in today's NFL because there are no dynasties anymore. Today, if a Team wins all their games against non-elite teams, they will make and win in the playoffs every year. Then, barring a fluke where a non-elite team makes it to the championship game or the Superbowl, you will have to have a signature win or two to take home the Lombardi.

Until we get to that place, I could care less about signature wins.

1 minute ago, clayboy54 said:

I respect what you are saying. I don't think it's a realistic gauge in today's NFL because there are no dynasties anymore. Today, if a Team wins all their games against non-elite teams, they will make and win in the playoffs every year. Then, barring a fluke where a non-elite team makes it to the championship game or the Superbowl, you will have to have a signature win or two to take home the Lombardi.

Until we get to that place, I could care less about signature wins.

How about 1 the prior two years (Tennessee missing 4 fgs, was no signature win)?😡

12 hours ago, Buftex said:

This is not a slam on McDermott (I like our coach, and in no way want him fired), but I was just watching "Inside the NFL". 

The panel was going around making their "what we learned" observations from this past week of football...they get to Ray Lewis.  He says (para-pharasing): "The Buffalo Bills! Everyone saying they are one of the great teams in the AFC.  I watcehd their last two games...they have  peices, but winning takes a culture.  They don't have that culture."   

I don't really value Ray's opinion too much (though I'd let him suit up at LB in a Bills uniform right now), but I just thought it was striking that he struck right at the core of the thing that McDermotts' reputaiton is supposed to be built on, as the team's overriding problem.  

I think there's truth to this statement. Something is off right now. The team has had spurts of bad play the last couple of seasons and recovered from them.

This just feels different this time, like McD is fighting a losing battle with the locker room right now. There are alot of new faces in there, did they take on more personalities than they could handle?

3 hours ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

I think there's truth to this statement. Something is off right now. The team has had spurts of bad play the last couple of seasons and recovered from them.

This just feels different this time, like McD is fighting a losing battle with the locker room right now. There are alot of new faces in there, did they take on more personalities than they could handle?

Add in Spain release today. You got deactivated Murphy and Phillips. Spain released. Those are all worse than losing snaps. That is not even in a uniform. Not trying to read too much into things but add in a lot of seemingly questionable injuries with guys not playing. Has some feeling of losing the locker room. 

12 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again McD seems like a good coach to date.  I've had plenty of issues with him, but definitely done some good things.

What he has not shown is he is anything more then good (if that) to date.

Again the issues

1. Terrible at halftime adjustments

2. Conservative close to the vest has cost the Bills wins

3. Blown out way too often

4. Record vs. playoff teams

5.Record vs. teams over .500, which is 5 wins in 2017-19

6. Terrible at challenges

7. Hasn't shown the ability to adapt

8. Nmaed Peterman the starter in a playoff hunt & doubled down year 2

9. Only coach to go 48 games with out a 300 yard passing game from the offense

10. 30, 29 & 24th ranked offense first 3 years

Also I wanted to start a new thread, but decided against it.  2017-19 the bills averaged 18.4 points/game & 310 yards of offense a game (context Mahomes in his two seasons 2018/19 averaged 303 passing) & you wonder why I clamour for some offense?

I agree McDermott is a good coach to date. I just wish we didn’t marry him before the season. 

• Like (+1) 1