Sean McDermott-Overrated

McBean

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

No.

They have wasted this year's defense (that's 1) with poor decisions in the trenches and at LBs.

Sticking with Edmonds as long as they have....that's also a problem. 

"Edmunds was named the NFL defensive rookie of the month in December after recording 43 tackles, 4 passes defended, 1 sack and 2 interceptions.[26] Overall, he recorded 121 total tackles on the year with two sacks, two interceptions, and two forced fumbles. "

Yeah.....I would stick with one of the youngest players in the league that did this

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

On the contrary, they were just discussing how we have the 20th best point differential in the league, which is a much better predictor of quality than record.  

No one here is discussing that.

No it just means our defense is garbage and missing its 2nd best player maybe even best player badly.  Just another example of doing whatever you want with numbers to confirm what we all know anyways.  The Bills are not one of the 5 best maybe even 7? best teams in the league.  They're in the upper half.  This I know.  Don't think I ever said they were the best or one the 5 best in the league.   

The differences are negligible across the league anyway.  

I guess Arizona and Tampa are the 2 best teams in the NFC then.  Would much rather play them then Seattle.  Or Green Bay.  Or New Orleans (+3).  

And so sorry for your wasted time listening to them today.  Would rather jump off a bridge.

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

"Edmunds was named the NFL defensive rookie of the month in December after recording 43 tackles, 4 passes defended, 1 sack and 2 interceptions.[26] Overall, he recorded 121 total tackles on the year with two sacks, two interceptions, and two forced fumbles. "

Yeah.....I would stick with one of the youngest players in the league that did this

Ok.  I'll ask you if you still want to win his 5th year option is up after next season.  He has 25 games to figure it out.  Sorry he's so young but.  We have a defense worse by the week.

I agree with you I wouldn't give up on him yet either.  But I'm running out of patience.  I know he can cover.  I think he can get to the QB if we let him.  He needs to go to OLB but they won't do that bc Milano is there.  And we play with 2 LBs mostly.  

This is not a slam on McDermott (I like our coach, and in no way want him fired), but I was just watching "Inside the NFL". 

The panel was going around making their "what we learned" observations from this past week of football...they get to Ray Lewis.  He says (para-pharasing): "The Buffalo Bills! Everyone saying they are one of the great teams in the AFC.  I watcehd their last two games...they have  peices, but winning takes a culture.  They don't have that culture."   

I don't really value Ray's opinion too much (though I'd let him suit up at LB in a Bills uniform right now), but I just thought it was striking that he struck right at the core of the thing that McDermotts' reputaiton is supposed to be built on, as the team's overriding problem.  

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 1

I actually think McDermott is a pretty good coach and I'm glad we have him. However, it's increasingly difficult to overlook that he hasn't had a signature win against a top team since he's been here, when plenty of other new coaches have. Even Flores in Miami somehow was able to beat the Pats**** in NE last year in a game that meant a lot to the Pats***, something McD has yet to do. It's concerning, I'll admit.

That, and some of the worst defensive performances in this team's history have been with McD at the helm just over the past 3 years. I could understand it in his first year, but it's not acceptable now.

I think he'll end up being an excellent coach, but he really needs to figure this thing out soon. I just don't know what to think of this defense anymore.

• Like (+1) 2

This all goes back to the extension he was given before the season. 

I said at the time we may as well see how he does against a tougher schedule this season since he still had two years left and the team hasn’t performed well against eventual playoff teams to say the least. 

I also said I wasn’t upset about the extension, just curious why we couldn’t wait a year or even 9 games (after Seattle, KC, NE)

In that context you have to admit it’s leaning one way. 

there is still time to beat some pretty good teams and I actually think they will beat a good team at some point this season

but the timing of the extension is still strange to me. It highlights the acceptance of mediocrity amongst ownership and fanbase. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think it's fair to say the win against the Rams is a good one against a strong team, but it's also hard to ignore that it required a last-minute comeback after an epic defensive collapse. That has to be part of the overall conversation.

3 minutes ago, Rubes said:

I think it's fair to say the win against the Rams is a good one against a strong team, but it's also hard to ignore that it required a last-minute comeback after an epic defensive collapse. That has to be part of the overall conversation.

no. A win is a win around here. There is no nuance allowed 

On 10/19/2020 at 8:13 PM, clayboy54 said:

Really? You have no idea what you’re talking about. What McD has done in such a short time boarders on miraculous. Accept that we’re not ready for prime time yet and that’s okay. It’s where we are right now. As long as Beane and McDermott keep building this team up, I am satisfied. Eventually we’ll be championship material. Because everybody jumped the gun and wanted us to be Super Bowl ready doesn’t mean we are.

Easy there, Hoss! 

What is the reality of the McD era? 

Well, we know for sure it was a 5 Alarm Tire Fire BEFORE he got here! But like the OP, my ONLY metric is equivalent to his “signature win” criteria. I don’t give a fiddler’s fart about rolling the league stiffs in a given year. I want to know and have tracked for every millennial year, what have the Bills accomplished against Playoff Teams of the SAME year? I don’t care, T this juncture, about winning by 1 point or 30, by fluke, by determination, by great plays and bad plays.

Simply, what happened? The answer is, PRE McD, they were awful, winning at a 19-78 pace or 24%... about 9% on the Road. Terrible, right?

And now your ‘miraculous HC’?

Bills under McDermott v.s. Same Year Playoff Teams

2017 = 2-4

2018 = 0-7

2019 = 1- 4

2020 =  0-2 ?

TOTAL = 3 - 17  OR 20%

They are WORSE!

There are at least 2 other Likely Playoff Bound teams coming up, not counting N.E. - Seattle & the Steelers. Keep track. 
NADA has been markedly improved as yet.

And blowout wins over the Trevor Lawrence candidates, never count!

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Easy there, Hoss! 

Well, we know for sure it was a 5 Alarm Tire Fire BEFORE he got here! But like the OP, my ONLY metric is equivalent to his “signature win” criteria. I don’t give a fiddler’s fart about rolling the league stiffs in a given year. I want to know and have tracked for every millennial year, what have the Bills accomplished against Playoff Teams of the SAME year? I don’t care, T this juncture, about winning by 1 point or 30, by fluke, by determination, by great plays and bad plays.

Simply, what happened? The answer is, PRE McD, they were awful, winning at a 19-78 pace or 24%... about 9% on the Road. Terrible, right?

2017 = 2-4

2018 = 0-7

2019 = 1- 4

2020 =  0-2 ?

TOTAL = 3 - 17  OR 20%

They are WORSE!

There are at least 2 other Likely Playoff Bound teams coming up, not counting N.E. - Seattle & the Steelers. Keep track. 

Does that win% include the two playoff losses?

1 hour ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Easy there, Hoss! 

2017 = 2-4

2018 = 0-7

2019 = 1- 4

2020 =  0-2 ?

TOTAL = 3 - 17  OR 20%

They are WORSE!

The Tire Fire is the narrative everyone loves to note with Marrone leaving & Rex Ryan being a bull in the china shop (those 3 years had the same record as McD's first 3 years).

2017 Playoff wins were vs. Atl & KC, which were good wins.  The 2019 was vs. Tenn, where they missed 4 fgs!!!!!!

I refuse to call 25-23 miraculous.  

Bills fans set the bar so so low......  Let's compare them to  the Jets & Giants to get excited? 

Edited by Billsfan1972

Complaining about a coach with a plan. After 17 years of BS.

2 out of his 3 seasons made it to the playoffs. After 17 years without playoffs.

You don't win them all. 

I hope the Bills fans are not becoming entitled and impatient over two losses.

Mc Dermott is fine as a coach.

Don't  forget 

Tom Brady saved Billycheck's Job who was on his second NFL head coaching stint.

Andy Reid on his second NFL coaching stint.

Pete Carroll on his second NFL coaching stint.

The Steelers stick with their coaches and they all have won a superbowl.

Let's be patient and trust the coach and his process.