Sean McDermott-Overrated

McBean

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

My bad both our losses are to 2 teams 10-1 combined and might be the two best teams in the NFL.

----Sports talk you won't hear on low info WGR today

On the contrary, they were just discussing how we have the 20th best point differential in the league, which is a much better predictor of quality than record.  

No one here is discussing that.

19 hours ago, McBean said:

You can't name me one signature win in 4 years.

He hasn't beaten the Pats, sucked on primetime, and only beat the Steelers because the QB was named "Duck."

Sean McDermott was supposed to be a defensive guru yet, his defense is the worst I've seen in years.

A couple of other things:

1. The fake snap count to draw opposing team Offside DOESN'T WORK. It's soft. It's conservative. It's stupid. We let them rest for 5 minutes to just completely blow up the next play then proceeded to punt. That cost us huge.

I have to say i agree with several of your points, but I highlighted the ones that stood out to me, and especially because you backed them up with facts.  I didn't realize McDermott doesn't really many signature wins, but you gotta count last year's Thanksgiving ass-kicking we gave the Cowboys.  

But you bring up a great point about the fake snap count.  In watching the last three games, I noticed Allen's hard count ALMOST drawing a few defensive players Offside, but never all the way.   Peyton Manning's film session about Allen, one of the things he mentioned was the position of Josh's hands when he was actually snapping the ball was completely different from when he was trying to draw the defense Offside, and Allen even mentioned that himself.  In my opinion, Manning is the greatest QB at drawing defenses Offside with his hard count. Josh has a great cadence, and a loud, hard enough voice that if he can consistently learn to keep his hands in the same position whether he's fake snapping or not, I believe he can be one of the greats at drawing defenses Offside too.  

That was a great point you brought up...

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, McBean said:

You can't name me one signature win in 4 years.

He hasn't beaten the Pats, sucked on primetime, and only beat the Steelers because the QB was named "Duck."

The Tennessee Titans have adopted their coaches attitude: Tough, resilient, aggressive, and don't back down from ANYBODY.

Our Bills have adopted their HC attitude: Timid, soft, and conservative with no aggression.

Sean McDermott was supposed to be a defensive guru yet, his defense is the worst I've seen in years.

A couple of other things:

1. The fake snap count to draw opposing team Offside DOESN'T WORK. It's soft. It's conservative. It's stupid. We let them rest for 5 minutes to just completely blow up the next play then proceeded to punt. That cost us huge.

2. I want somebody to be responsible for using this much capital into the defensive side of the ball through draft picks and free agents yet, we still SUCK. It's not acceptable and somebody needs to take ownership.

Make no mistake, this team is soft and can't compete with the big boys. We choked twice on primetime and will be lucky to win the East. The Patriots will shred this team.

We as fans deserve to be pissed because we have suffered to damn long to support this crap.

Hey bud, maybe I missed something but were we not # 2 in all Defense last year? I think that is pretty good. 

The knee-jerk overreactions on this board are hard to take.

The truth is, we're 4-2, lost to two good teams, we're going to be 5-2 on Sunday and probably have a 2 game lead in the division.  Miami is starting Tua, which in my option helps us a lot as Fitz is playing well, and NE is struggling.  I think we beat the jets and pats next two games to go to 6-2 and everyone will make a 180 be happy again.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

When we have NFL caliber defensive linemen again and aren't calling guys off the practice squad bc we benched STARTERS.  

Yes the offense has been bad the last 2 games....I thought it was ok in the whole 20 minutes we had the ball last night.  Once we get actual linemen to run block (I'm done with this combo) we can take the next step and not have to rely on our 24 year old QB to be perfect every week.  

My God.  Despite all this we're still going to win the next 3 games and yes I'm including Seattle.  

I'll count it as a win if we lose to Seattle by less than 40.

• Haha (+1) 1

Honest question to all the McBeane fans. What is the path to playoff success here? Not just this year, but going forward. What gives you hope that these two are the guys that will lead the Bills to beat the top teams when it matters. Because it seems to me that the drought has warped the minds of fans to think getting into the playoffs is some major achievement. Newsflash, lots of crap teams (other than ours) have made the playoffs and proceeded to soil themselves since the turn of the century. The Bills of the last three years are no different. This team is a lot closer to being really bad than it is to challenging for the Super Bowl.

McDermott is too much of a wimp to have big time success in today's NFL. Coaching scared only works if you have oodles of talent and play mistake free football. Neither of those things are true in Buffalo.

Edited by QB Bills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

We are 4-2... We have the Jets and then the Patriots... should be 6-2 before we go up against the Seahawks.. if we lose against New England I’ll be worried but for now our record is looking pretty good going into an easy stretch.. If you want to point out certain players I’m fine with that.. Edmunds has sucked, so has Oliver amongst a few others... but this team collectively is 4-2... no way around that fact.. The Chiefs are a team that I never expected us to beat.. I expected it to be like 42-16 in an absolute crush.. but we hung in there, could have been a lot worse.. Tennessee and Kansas City have great teams, no need to lose hope yet..

6 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

Sadly this statement is probably spot on and it's going to be hard for a lot of McBeane-aid drinkers to fathom when the losses keep mounting in the weeks to come and this season spirals out control.

For younger fans with no real frame of reference to the 90's/SB years this may be acceptable, but the reality is this regime simply got lucky as parity and the law of averages were on the Bills side.

What I truly am not looking forward to is the excuses: No home field advantage without fans, injuries, covid schedule shuffling (the built in excuse already for the last two weeks), etc

Will be interesting to see what the Pegula's do but we are probably stuck with this regime at least through 2021....

Please never change IQ.  Your comedy troll posts are helping me get thru the loss to the SB champs!

Lot of teams in similar waters to us. 
You don’t just pluck top notch coaches out of thin air. There’s 20 other teams in the league that would kill to swap front offices and coaches with us. Its a long season. You guys bashing on Mcdermott cause he can’t win big games right? Wasn’t that Andy Reid in philly for YEARS..?? He could never win the big games. His teams were more talented than the teams we’ve had with mcd. Patience is a virtue and we’ve sucked for a long time so I get the people wanting or expecting instant gratification but it don’t usually work that way. 
Suck it up, cheer for your team, and hope for the best. All this crying on here ain’t changing nothing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is the NFL. You have a small group of dominant teams and awful teams. The rest in the middle are toss ups and success is usually based on what teams that play that year, when they play them and injuries. 

In weeks 2-4 the Bills showed glimpses of maybe being one of the dominant teams. The past two weeks have shown they are likely still part of the midlings. 

think his problem is his inflexibility to adapt  If teams adjust how they play the bills defense he needs to have a counter  Cant play that same style of defense every year and not expect teams to find the weakness and exploit it  We've been getting gashed by the run by teams willing to stick with it since at least last season.  Philly and Cleveland ran it downhill repeatedly last year.  Pats might run for 300 in two weeks

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, High Football IQ said:

Sadly this statement is probably spot on and it's going to be hard for a lot of McBeane-aid drinkers to fathom when the losses keep mounting in the weeks to come and this season spirals out control.

For younger fans with no real frame of reference to the 90's/SB years this may be acceptable, but the reality is this regime simply got lucky as parity and the law of averages were on the Bills side.

What I truly am not looking forward to is the excuses: No home field advantage without fans, injuries, covid schedule shuffling (the built in excuse already for the last two weeks), etc

Will be interesting to see what the Pegula's do but we are probably stuck with this regime at least through 2021....

Might even be interestinger to see how the season plays out ?

No excuses here. But at this point I greatly prefer continuity with McBeanes

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

Lot of teams in similar waters to us. 
You don’t just pluck top notch coaches out of thin air. There’s 20 other teams in the league that would kill to swap front offices and coaches with us. Its a long season. You guys bashing on Mcdermott cause he can’t win big games right? Wasn’t that Andy Reid in philly for YEARS..?? He could never win the big games. His teams were more talented than the teams we’ve had with mcd. Patience is a virtue and we’ve sucked for a long time so I get the people wanting or expecting instant gratification but it don’t usually work that way. 
Suck it up, cheer for your team, and hope for the best. All this crying on here ain’t changing nothing. 

all of this.
Reid took years and years to hone his skills.

+1 to the bolded Rc2

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

Also worth noting that McDermott entered this season 3-15 against teams that made the playoffs over his first 3 seasons in Buffalo (this includes the Titans game last year before Mariota was benched and they missed 5 field goals against us, and a very mediorce Eagles team that emerged from the NFC East scrapheap).

So looking ahead and assuming both the Titans and Chiefs are locks for the playoffs this year this record moves to at least 3-17 and at what point is the question asked if this guy is simply good enough? When is there going to be a truly dominant signature win against an elite NFL team?

The simple answer to the question of are Bills good enough ?
Nope not yet . Plenty of work to do to become a long term contender

I have been watching this thread for a bit now. I think it is knee jerk. At worst McD has done “well enough” to this point. If you want to say coaching cost us this and the Titans game. OK I won’t argue, but we are too soon to be heading down this path. 

My larger concern is McBeane and talent evaluation. I think we all pretty much consider Bean and McD a unit so blame goes to both.
- CB2 has been bad for at least two seasons now. Their answer was a flyer on Norman and EJ Gaines who was bound to get injured. Also...Levi Wallace is still not good enough. 
- LB depth was an issue. It still is. 
- DL is a mess. They let some OK talent walk with lesser replacements and spent a bunch of money on them. 
-Edmunds, Oliver, and Epeneza have yet to wow me. 
-They chose two slow running backs that have not been effective sharing the load or taking on the role of lead back. 
-  Do we have Yeldon locked in a basement somewhere? Is this a Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes situation? 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

Also worth noting that McDermott entered this season 3-15 against teams that made the playoffs over his first 3 seasons in Buffalo (this includes the Titans game last year before Mariota was benched and they missed 5 field goals against us).

So looking ahead and assuming both the Titans and Chiefs are locks for the playoffs this year this record moves to at least 3-17 and at what point is the question asked if this guy is simply good enough? When is there going to be a truly dominant signature win against an elite NFL team?

Shhhhhh!!!!  This does not fit the narrative of the McD cheering section......😜

Not knee jerk, but a statement of fact.

I think McD is good.  He has shown nothing to date that he has made the jump to elite (and you know there probably will be a game this year where he does & then we'll hear again how great he is).

BTWS I expect the Bills top win their next 4.  

2 hours ago, QB Bills said:

Honest question to all the McBeane fans. What is the path to playoff success here? Not just this year, but going forward. What gives you hope that these two are the guys that will lead the Bills to beat the top teams when it matters. Because it seems to me that the drought has warped the minds of fans to think getting into the playoffs is some major achievement. Newsflash, lots of crap teams (other than ours) have made the playoffs and proceeded to soil themselves since the turn of the century. The Bills of the last three years are no different. This team is a lot closer to being really bad than it is to challenging for the Super Bowl.

McDermott is too much of a wimp to have big time success in today's NFL. Coaching scared only works if you have oodles of talent and play mistake free football. Neither of those things are true in Buffalo.

You do realize that Billy B a 6 time Super Bowl winning coach is one of the most conservative coaches of all time. The Patriot way for the longest time was to play great defense, conservative offense and let your opponent defeat yourself. Is that too wimpy a way to win? What about the Patriots is that aggressive? The one time they had an aggressive high powered offense in 2007 they lost the SB to a team that capitalized on the Pats mistakes and played conservatively.

McD's path to winning is to ride Josh Allen a franchise QB with a solid supporting cast, a suddenly good ST unit and build a solid defense. The defensive line has regressed this season (which is partly poor roster construction on the part of the regime) and there have been a few banged up players. Otherwise this team has honestly been built well. They built a solid deep o-line, an elite WR core, drafted a pair of young RB's one of whom is starting caliber, and found Josh who looks to be a keeper. 

They then rebuilt a ST unit into one of the best in the league even with a rookie kicker. And the defense while regressing a bit this year has a talented secondary, a pair of young LB's, and a D-line who was a quality deep unit last season but is suffering from Star's opt out and regression. 

I firmly believe they can add a space eating DT ( and have the draft assets going forward to trade for a big time DE if needed. Doing those two things will help the D-line and getting back Milano and Levi will help the back end of the defense. Who would you rather be the coach of this team? Because Rex Ryan was really macho and aggressive.