Sean McDermott-Overrated

McBean

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

I didnt realize that "almost losses" count

Do they keep that stat?

Same as "Almost Won" stats.....  Bills almost beat Kax & Houston in the playoffs and were within a score of Baltimore last year......  

DO we want to really play that game?????😜

1 minute ago, JGMcD2 said:

Beane and McDermott made the decision to strip the roster of bloated contracts and particular players on both the offensive and defensive side of the football via trade. Sammy Watkins, Ronald Darby, Marcel Dareus, Reggie Ragland, Kevon Seymour. 

They also let certain pieces walk during free agency to avoid handing out big contracts, both on the offensive and defensive side of the football. Over 35 players departed via free agency in 2017. 
Robert Woods, Stephon Gilmore, Marquise Goodwin, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Mike Gillislee were the biggest names. 

Going into Training Camp in 2018... they had just 15 players remaining from the end of the 2016 season. 7 on the offensive side and 6 on the defensive side to go along with 2 ST. 

I apologize, when I was looking I was looking at the record of the team when we beat them by mistake. That added 3 teams who did go on to be 8-8. 

As for the offense, yeah it’s been anemic those first three years. They started Tyrod and a project QB. It wasn’t going to be pretty. Josh has 4 great games this year and 1 mediocre game and a dud. They’ve played good competition outside of the Jets in all of those games... they’ll be ok. Every team they’ve played outside of the Jets is .500 or better right now. 

I know this has been the narrative but is it true?

What are the bloated contracts they stripped? Watkins was on a rookie deal. Darby was on a cheap deal. Dareus was underperforming his deal so yes. Ragland and Seymour were not on big deals. 

Woods signed a deal for 5 / $34M. I am not sure I would pay that for him but he would have been our best WR until Diggs and is still in the Beasley / Brown pay range.

Gilmore - Signed a big deal but has also been one of the best in the league.  

Goodwin - This was not about money. He had no role with the Bills. 

Robey-Coleman - Cheap and not about money.

Gillislee - He was cheap and we ended up signing Ivory for more, so not sure about this. 

The only real issues were Taylor, Dareus and Glenn. Most of the other contracts were non-issues. You get rid of those three guys and it changes the cap situation fast. Other moves were more about getting their own guys. 

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Look it has been so long since the Bills had a team you got excited playing the Offensive side of the ball (20 years since a team was in the top 10, and during those 20 years averaging 24th in the league), that yes I am biased that I want to see exciting Offensive football & points. 

The way they gutted that side of the ball with what appeared no intention to get skill players (yes they drafted Allen) was a real issue in 2017.  In 2018 they drafted Allen and gave him a lousy receiving core.

And then there was always the Peterman fiasco (2017 & doubling down in 2018).

If you seriously think that they had no intention of procuring skill players, I don’t know what to tell you. They were just gutting the team... the goal wasn’t to win. It wasn’t a real issue, it was part of the plan they had. They wanted to rip things down and they still won enough games to make the playoffs... primarily because of McDermott’s coaching. 

If they’re going to get rid of players to get the cap under control and build something more sustainable in the future, you don’t go out and drop money on skill players that year. It doesn’t make a whole lot of sense from a team building standpoint. 

In 2018 they had no desire to compete... again... they were had like $60mm in dead money from guys like Tyrod, Cordy Glenn, Eric Wood, Richie Incognito, Dareus, etc. they simply didn’t have the resources to go get absolute studs like you were hoping for... it wasn’t the plan. 

In 2019 they went and got Brown and Beasley on very friendly deals once the cap was under control. Then went and got Diggs and Davis the year after... now they have arguably the best WR corps in the league... because that was the plan. 

It’s not madden, it’s not fantasy football... you can’t buy and sell at the same time... it just doesn’t work. Take it from a guy who works in a professional sports FO. 

4 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I know this has been the narrative but is it true?

What are the bloated contracts they stripped? Watkins was on a rookie deal. Darby was on a cheap deal. Dareus was underperforming his deal so yes. Ragland and Seymour were not on big deals. 

Woods signed a deal for 5 / $34M. I am not sure I would pay that for him but he would have been our best WR until Diggs and is still in the Beasley / Brown pay range.

Gilmore - Signed a big deal but has also been one of the best in the league.  

Goodwin - This was not about money. He had no role with the Bills. 

Robey-Coleman - Cheap and not about money.

Gillislee - He was cheap and we ended up signing Ivory for more, so not sure about this. 

The only real issues were Taylor, Dareus and Glenn. Most of the other contracts were non-issues. You get rid of those three guys and it changes the cap situation fast. Other moves were more about getting their own guys. 

It wasn’t a fast change there were 1-2 years of dead cap associated with all of that. 

Watkins had his 5th year option declined and we weren’t about to give him a big contract... we were avoiding that at the time for a reason.. all of those guys were approaching needing new deals. 

3 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

When are we going to be one of the two 9-1 teams? If Ryan Tannehill can do it, and our guys cant - it's not a good look.

When we have NFL caliber defensive linemen again and aren't calling guys off the practice squad bc we benched STARTERS.  

Yes the offense has been bad the last 2 games....I thought it was ok in the whole 20 minutes we had the ball last night.  Once we get actual linemen to run block (I'm done with this combo) we can take the next step and not have to rely on our 24 year old QB to be perfect every week.  

My God.  Despite all this we're still going to win the next 3 games and yes I'm including Seattle.  

Edited by Big Blitz

The organization hadn't made the playoffs in 18 straight seasons before McD through mostly smoke and mirrors (and some luck) got the team to the playoffs in 2017 while at the same time selling off parts for draft capital, they continue to rebuild properly sending in a lot of draft capital to get a proper QB and clear out bad contracts the team regresses, in 2019 the team wins 10 (And easily could have been 11 had they not bagged an unnecessary game against the Jets) and another playoff birth. 

This team went from not having a franchise QB to having one, this team went from not making the playoffs to making the playoffs 2 out of 3 seasons, and this team went from a laughing stock of an organization to one respected throughout the league. Call me crazy but I think McD is a pretty good coach. 

• Like (+1) 1

I didnt expect the Bills to dominate this year, especially given the strength of schedule. They are not yet a top team and there are no guarantees that they will get there. They do have assets however and if Coach is able to turn this D around to the point where they are not an embarrassment, the Bills are a dangerous team. In the playoffs I certainly wouldn't relegate them to one and done status from the get go even if I don't see them as true championship contenders at this time. If they can hang around through the late rounds they have the wherewithal to knock a classier opponent with faster hands and better footwork right out of the ring. It could have happened yesterday. When they are on, the Bills have a legit big play offence. Josh Allen=a very heavy right hand. Our receiving corps is very good.

The season has a long way to go. I'd be surprised (and disappointed) if Coach was unable to whip his D into better shape and maybe get the running game going. If that happens the Bills will always have a good punchers chance even against top tier opposition. 

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I didnt realize that "almost losses" count

Do they keep that stat?

Same as "Almost Won" stats.....  Bills almost beat Jax & Houston in the playoffs and were within a score of Baltimore last year......  

Do we want to really play that game?????😜

Edited by Billsfan1972

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Same as "Almost Won" stats.....  Bills almost beat Kax & Houston in the playoffs and were within a score of Baltimore last year......  

DO we want to really play that game?????😜

No....we dont...but we dont have to.   We are 4-2 and lost games to very good teams

We were NEVER going to go undefeated.......I said from the beginning that 10-6 is probably realistic

I didnt expect this defense to be this bad though

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

This is the dumbest thread. What a load of bull.

Well this thread brings out the McD disciples, and those not 100% sold on him.

I have always said I don't like the way he coaches and many of decisions.  His results have been good, but not as good as some will have you believe.  

I too was very excited after the first 4, and admitted that McD grew on me, and now however am pumping the breaks.

Now yesterday some of the blame too can be attributed to the weather and no pushover opponent.

Weeks 8-10 will tell us a lot more.  

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

Well this thread brings out the McD disciples, and those not 100% sold on him.

I have always said I don't like the way he coaches and many of decisions.  His results have been good, but not as good as some will have you believe.  

I too was very excited after the first 4, and admitted that McD grew on me, and now however am pumping the breaks.

Now yesterday some of the blame too can be attributed to the weather and no pushover opponent.

Weeks 8-10 will tell us a lot more.  

Well I guess you better get used to him. He's going to be the coach for a long time.