Sean McDermott-Overrated

McBean

34 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Everyone keeps throwing McDermott’s record out there... and nobody wants to apply context to it. The reason people were excited about a guy who was 25-23 in his first 3 seasons is the context. 

The 2017 Buffalo Bills were projected to be an absolutely horrendous football team... #1 pick bad. They went 9-7. Some will say they “backed their way into the playoffs” which is just a stupid comment. Unbelievably stupid. If Cincinnati beats Baltimore 2 weeks earlier and our win against Miami gets us in... did we back in? Give me a freaking break. 

The 2018 Buffalo Bills were once again projected to be an absolutely horrendous football team... #1 pick bad. Many projections having them win less than 4 games. They went 6-10. Not to mention they played Josh Allen, someone who many argued shouldn’t even be in the NFL... wasn’t ready to play and would be out of the league quick. 

The 2019 Buffalo Bills were projected to be average... everyone mocked Josh Allen and the team that we had. We managed to go 10-6 and clinch a playoff spot before the final week of the season. They collapsed in the playoffs and again lost by 1 score. 

He’s managed to take teams with less talent and get them to perform above what anybody expects. This impatient fan base distorts EVERYTHING. The team was rebuilding... they tore absolutely everything down and they continued to have success. The Buffalo Bills are 4-2 right now and 2 games up in the AFC East. Our entire division has to play the AFC and NFC West. It won’t necessarily be a cakewalk for them either. 

Yeah, I’m embarrassed by the past two performances. Yeah, adjustments sure need to be made, you’d be crazy to say they don’t. Yeah, we’re not clicking on all cylinders early in the season against good teams all the time (yes, the Dolphins, Raiders and Rams are good teams too). 

The sky doesn’t have to fall 6 weeks in when we’re leading our division. Everyone screaming about how we backed into the playoffs so McDermott isn’t good, get a grip. Everyone screaming about how we went 10-6 last year because our schedule was weak, get a grip. 

We’re probably going to end up 10-6 again this year against a more difficult schedule and the same people are gonna whine and cry because “We showed no improvement with our record. We went 10-6 this year and 10-6 again. Unacceptable!” 

Are y’all this ridiculous and negative in your day to day life? Do y’all overreact to everything without actually going through all the facts and assessing things with an even hand? I mean seriously.. I know there are studies on how fans are irrational but people here take the cake. Whenever something goes right, y’all hedge and say it’s not gonna last. That way when there’s a blip on the screen, you can come out and say you’re right. 

Revisionist history.  The Bills were 24-24 the three years prior to McD, so give me a break.  They also started gutting the team and yes their O/U was 6.5 in 2017......  2018 it was 7 (oops went under @ 6-10),  and 2019 7, so 2-1..... How about then we look at the wins & who they beat.  2017-19, not many highlight reel wins (KC & Atl in 2017?).  How many wins vs. +.500 teams in 2017-2019 (I'm not checking, but the O/U is 5).

He is a decent coach, who admittedley ruffled my feathers withg how he approached the offense years 1-3 (and seems to have regressed the last 2 games).   

Want to see some statement wins vs. NE (though I expect it) and some other opponents after the last two weeks and see something that says "McD really coached a great game".

When you see the defense not just gouged, but not being able to make stops on 3rd down and the offense again look confused out there, not a good sign.

1 hour ago, Nelius said:

First place, surrounded by losers. Two playoff appearances. Miami just bizarrely pulled their starting QB despite playing above average. The Jets couldn't be more of a mess.

But sure, go ahead and tell yourself McDermott is sub-par if it gets you through the week.

I actually think that move makes sense.  Reasons posted in that thread.

16 hours ago, McBean said:

You can't name me one signature win in 4 years.

He hasn't beaten the Pats, sucked on primetime, and only beat the Steelers because the QB was named "Duck."

The Tennessee Titans have adopted their coaches attitude: Tough, resilient, aggressive, and don't back down from ANYBODY.

Our Bills have adopted their HC attitude: Timid, soft, and conservative with no aggression.

Sean McDermott was supposed to be a defensive guru yet, his defense is the worst I've seen in years.

A couple of other things:

1. The fake snap count to draw opposing team Offside DOESN'T WORK. It's soft. It's conservative. It's stupid. We let them rest for 5 minutes to just completely blow up the next play then proceeded to punt. That cost us huge.

2. I want somebody to be responsible for using this much capital into the defensive side of the ball through draft picks and free agents yet, we still SUCK. It's not acceptable and somebody needs to take ownership.

Make no mistake, this team is soft and can't compete with the big boys. We choked twice on primetime and will be lucky to win the East. The Patriots will shred this team.

We as fans deserve to be pissed because we have suffered to damn long to support this crap.

Do realize the titans should have lost to the Vikings and Texans.

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Revisionist history.  The Bills were 24-24 the three years prior to McD, so give me a break.  They also started gutting the team and yes their O/U was 6.5 in 2017......  2018 it was 7 (oops went under @ 6-10),  and 2019 7, so 2-1..... How about then we look at the wins & who they beat.  2017-19, not many highlight reel wins (KC & Atl in 2017?).  How many wins vs. +.500 teams in 2017-2019 (I'm not checking, but the O/U is 5).

He is a decent coach, who admittedley ruffled my feathers withg how he approached the offense years 1-3 (and seems to have regressed the last 2 games).   

Want to see some statement wins vs. NE (though I expect it) and some other opponents after the last two weeks and see something that says "McD really coached a great game".

When you see the defense not just gouged, but not being able to make stops on 3rd down and the offense again look confused out there, not a good sign.

They were 24-24 in the 3 years prior to McDermott and then you admit that they stripped the team down when McDermott arrived? 

So you’re telling me to give you a break, while you support my argument. 

Not quite sure how it’s revisionist history when in both 2017 and 2018 the football world was in agreement that McDermott did a heck of a job considering the roster he was given. The expectations for those teams were not high... so by talking about that and talking about how he got them to over perform is revisionist history? That doesn’t add up. 

The answer to your O/U question is 8 teams. 

6 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

At some point you simply have to look at who McDermott is, especially watching the lockerroom/behind the scenes videos...there is no real passion from this guy and at times he makes Dick Jauron look animated and uncorpse like.

I always thought he presented himself very "headcoach-like" in interviews and press conferences.  What good head coach starts foaming at the mouth at those times?

However he has always had the deer in the headlights look to me on the sidelines during games.  Even more so now with the mask.

2 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

What improvement has this team really shown this year?

They still suck and show up as small as possible on the biggest stages against superior NFL teams, same as last year in pretty much every game that matter especially down the stretch against the Ravens, Patriots and Texans.

This defense is among the worst in the league and where all the big money contracts are tied up, not a good luck from a 'defensive guru'.

As for the offense, yes on paper they are better this year but as I pointed out in another thread they are slowly climbing down the rankings similar to last year after being in the top 10 overall.

Also consider that this team has faded every year after a hot start under this regime, at least during the playoff seasons:

2017 - started 5-2, finished 4-5 (4-6 including the playoff loss)

2019 - started 6-2, finished 4-4 (4-5 including the playoff loss)

At some point you simply have to look at who McDermott is, especially watching the lockerroom/behind the scenes videos...there is no real passion from this guy and at times he makes Dick Jauron look animated and uncorpse like.

Maybe things will changes this team will actually make a statement under him but you can already see things unravel with veterans like Poyer and White (who both coincidentally have not looked great this year after signing new contracts) make stupid penalties and show a lack of focus and discipline.

Sean McDermott makes Dick Jauron look animated and uncorpse like? Wow. He’s not passionate? I’ll tell you a story, because I didn’t necessarily notice it but my father who served as an officer in the Marine Corps did. The scene in the locker room watching the Bengals/Ravens game in 2017, they cut to McDermott for a reaction when the Bengals scored... he goes to celebrate... and then stops himself and collects himself. He turns away from the group and puts his head down and prays... then he goes around and starts shaking hands and congratulating the players. 

My Dad was stunned... “Did you see that? That’s such an impressive thing for him to be able to do. He was fighting so hard to maintain his composure. He couldn’t let his men see him get too high or too low, because they feed off of him. That’s an unbelievable leader right there. He gathered himself and acted like a professional.” 

Does he need to show some more fire from time to time of the sidelines? Sure. But you can’t do it all the time or else it becomes meaningless. 

They didn’t show up against the Ravens, Patriots and Texans down the stretch? They lost all of those games by a score, had the ball late against BAL and NE with a chance to tie the game and had a chance to win against HOU should 1/3 guys put a hat on McKinney. 

29 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

They were 24-24 in the 3 years prior to McDermott and then you admit that they stripped the team down when McDermott arrived? 

So you’re telling me to give you a break, while you support my argument. 

Not quite sure how it’s revisionist history when in both 2017 and 2018 the football world was in agreement that McDermott did a heck of a job considering the roster he was given. The expectations for those teams were not high... so by talking about that and talking about how he got them to over perform is revisionist history? That doesn’t add up. 

The answer to your O/U question is 8 teams. 

McD made the decisiuon to gut the Offense in 2017.

Are you counting 8-8 teams?  I count 5, KC & Atl in 2017, Tenn x 2 (both years 9-7) & Minn (8-7-1).  A true Murderers Row!!!!!

Again we're talking an offense against sub-par competition who ranked 30, 29 & 24th on offense 2017-19 (and have regressed the past two weeks).

Edited by Billsfan1972

5 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

McD made the decisiuon to gut the Offense in 2017.

Are you counting 8-8 teams?  I count 5, KC & Atl in 2017, Tenn x 2 (both years 9-7) & Minn (8-7-1).  A true Murderes Row!!!!!

Again we're talking an offense against sub-par competition who ranked 30, 29 & 24th on offense 2017-19 (and have regressed the past two weeks).

Beane and McDermott made the decision to strip the roster of bloated contracts and particular players on both the offensive and defensive side of the football via trade. Sammy Watkins, Ronald Darby, Marcel Dareus, Reggie Ragland, Kevon Seymour. 

They also let certain pieces walk during free agency to avoid handing out big contracts, both on the offensive and defensive side of the football. Over 35 players departed via free agency in 2017. 
Robert Woods, Stephon Gilmore, Marquise Goodwin, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Mike Gillislee were the biggest names. 

Going into Training Camp in 2018... they had just 15 players remaining from the end of the 2016 season. 7 on the offensive side and 6 on the defensive side to go along with 2 ST. 

I apologize, when I was looking I was looking at the record of the team when we beat them by mistake. That added 3 teams who did go on to be 8-8. 

As for the offense, yeah it’s been anemic those first three years. They started Tyrod and a project QB. It wasn’t going to be pretty. Josh has 4 great games this year and 1 mediocre game and a dud. They’ve played good competition outside of the Jets in all of those games... they’ll be ok. Every team they’ve played outside of the Jets is .500 or better right now. 

This team has made progress. Whether it has been fast enough is debatable. Obviously any team will have an easier time beating bad teams than good teams. The concern with McD Bills is that can look very uncompetitive and over matched vs good teams. 

8 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Beane and McDermott made the decision to strip the roster of bloated contracts and particular players on both the offensive and defensive side of the football via trade. Sammy Watkins, Ronald Darby, Marcel Dareus, Reggie Ragland, Kevon Seymour. 

They also let certain pieces walk during free agency to avoid handing out big contracts, both on the offensive and defensive side of the football. Over 35 players departed via free agency in 2017. 
Robert Woods, Stephon Gilmore, Marquise Goodwin, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Mike Gillislee were the biggest names. 

Going into Training Camp in 2018... they had just 15 players remaining from the end of the 2016 season. 7 on the offensive side and 6 on the defensive side to go along with 2 ST. 

I apologize, when I was looking I was looking at the record of the team when we beat them by mistake. That added 3 teams who did go on to be 8-8. 

As for the offense, yeah it’s been anemic those first three years. They started Tyrod and a project QB. It wasn’t going to be pretty. Josh has 4 great games this year and 1 mediocre game and a dud. They’ve played good competition outside of the Jets in all of those games... they’ll be ok. Every team they’ve played outside of the Jets is .500 or better right now. 

Look it has been so long since the Bills had a team you got excited playing the Offensive side of the ball (20 years since a team was in the top 10, and during those 20 years averaging 24th in the league), that yes I am biased that I want to see exciting Offensive football & points. 

The way they gutted that side of the ball with what appeared no intention to get skill players (yes they drafted Allen) was a real issue in 2017.  In 2018 they drafted Allen and gave him a lousy receiving core.

And then there was always the Peterman fiasco (2017 & doubling down in 2018).