Sean McDermott-Overrated

McBean

6 hours ago, Best Williams Available said:

Probably said already—The last 2 weeks have highlighted that the D is the problem. When the O can’t score 25 we lose. The O of the first 4 games was not sustainable for whatever reason, but they have competed the last 2 weeks and can score points when required. The D cannot make a stop, get a turnover, do anything when required.

Although the team has not been prepared, been out coached, and played poorly the last 2 weeks, the losses have been to 2 very good playoff caliber teams. So there’s a bit of a silver lining.

The offense looks better than the defense. But the defense isn't "the problem." They're part of the problem.

Against the best teams, the offense has been pretty bad.

"When the O can't score 25 we lose," you say? 25 a game is average this year. So yeah, when the offense is below average we're likely to lose. The defense hasn't been good. But since teams have started playing deep enough to make the offense start to play more of a short passing game, they haven't looked good. Hopefully they'll figure a way past this, but it's not looking like a sure thing.

9 hours ago, McBean said:

You can't name me one signature win in 4 years.

He hasn't beaten the Pats, sucked on primetime, and only beat the Steelers because the QB was named "Duck."

The Tennessee Titans have adopted their coaches attitude: Tough, resilient, aggressive, and don't back down from ANYBODY.

Our Bills have adopted their HC attitude: Timid, soft, and conservative with no aggression.

Sean McDermott was supposed to be a defensive guru yet, his defense is the worst I've seen in years.

A couple of other things:

1. The fake snap count to draw opposing team Offside DOESN'T WORK. It's soft. It's conservative. It's stupid. We let them rest for 5 minutes to just completely blow up the next play then proceeded to punt. That cost us huge.

2. I want somebody to be responsible for using this much capital into the defensive side of the ball through draft picks and free agents yet, we still SUCK. It's not acceptable and somebody needs to take ownership.

Make no mistake, this team is soft and can't compete with the big boys. We choked twice on primetime and will be lucky to win the East. The Patriots will shred this team.

We as fans deserve to be pissed because we have suffered to damn long to support this crap.

This year we should make the playoffs again for a third time in four years, shedded bad contracts and players, and have changed the culture of the team.  I remember you liking McD in the past.  We just had two bad losses.  It’s doesn’t mean we are falling apart, and I don’t share you’re thoughts the Pats will shred us.  I’m not saying it’s a lock, we win, but I don’t subscribe to we will get killed by the Pats.  They just lost to the back up QB for the Broncos.

My take is similar to what someone else stated we just lost to the two teams in the AFCC game last year.  Tennessee beat the Patriots and Ravens last year and that was with Brady.  The Ravens had the MVP of the league.

20 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Blitzing and playing press man is like handing Mahomes a get out of jail free card and the key to the city.

He loves that.

The game plan wasn't the problem. Bad play was.

You beat me to it Thurmon.  This blitzing strategy is what the Chiefs want and torch their opponents.  The Chargers almost beat the Chiefs because they coached a game like McD.

Giving up 8 yards per carry because you are scared shitless of the opposing QB and coach, in a rain storm no less, is the equivalent of.......... i want to say striking out with the bat on your shoulder but that doesn't do it justice. It would be more like striking out with the bat on your shoulder against a pitcher who has a broken shoulder and is using his other arm to lob em underhand. Just completely gutless coaching and quite honestly an embarrassment in front of a national audience. Go down swinging for christ's sakes.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Blitzing and playing press man is like handing Mahomes a get out of jail free card and the key to the city.

He loves that.

The game plan wasn't the problem. Bad play was.

The game plan was the problem. 40 minutes of possession.

13 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

Really? You have no idea what you’re talking about. What McD has done in such a short time boarders on miraculous. Accept that we’re not ready for prime time yet and that’s okay. It’s where we are right now. As long as Beane and McDermott keep building this team up, I am satisfied. Eventually we’ll be championship material. Because everybody jumped the gun and wanted us to be Super Bowl ready doesn’t mean we are.

congratulations 🍾 

your post has emoji bingo  

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I compared him to Marv Lewis earlier this year and was practically beheaded by the homers here, glad I’m not the only one seeing it.  Problem is he just got an extension, so McClappy is here to stay.  Get used to it all.  3 more years of wasting seasons with the pathetic fans excited about back door playoff appearances and getting beat by Bill O’Brien.

This was the last year to win with Allen under a reasonable contract, it will be wasted and once he signs the extension, a lot of guys have to go to make it work, mostly on D, so 3 more years of drafting defense for a ***** scheme.

I was one of the few people that said extending MCdermott was a mistake, and that we should've at least waited for him to finish out this season before doing so. Marvin Lewis is the perfect comparison - new coach comes in and brings a joke of a franchise up to respectability. However, he's only good enough to make the playoffs, but never win in the playoffs. 

This season has shown that we can beat low-end playoff teams (Raiders, Rams), but that we aren't that close to contending with Superbowl caliber teams (Titans, Chiefs).

All that being said I do think Mcdermott is overrated on these boards. He's an average to slightly above average coach. People on here talking CoY candidate after week 4 were getting carried away 

7 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Our game plan should have called for 40 minutes of possession. 

Dude, this is like arguing that the menu at a restaurant should have called for pancakes and arguing that therefore the menu was wrong when actually the menus and the food have all been stolen.

The best game plan in the world won't work with poor execution. And game plans that aren't working due to poor execution should absolutely be changed on the fly.

The Chiefs didn't get 40 minutes of possession because they decided they'd do that before the game. They got 40 minutes of possession because the Bills were doing a solid job of making passing difficult, but a horrible job of doing the same for the run game. They got 40 minutes because they were able to run so they did it and did it and did it. And we couldn't run.

3 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I was one of the few people that said extending MCdermott was a mistake, and that we should've at least waited for him to finish out this season before doing so. Marvin Lewis is the perfect comparison - new coach comes in and brings a joke of a franchise up to respectability. However, he's only good enough to make the playoffs, but never win in the playoffs. 

This season has shown that we can beat low-end playoff teams (Raiders, Rams), but that we aren't that close to contending with Superbowl caliber teams (Titans, Chiefs).

All that being said I do think Mcdermott is overrated on these boards. He's an average to slightly above average coach. People on here talking CoY candidate after week 4 were getting carried away 

I agree 100%.  Buffalo is so used to trash they think they have everything they need when they get mediocre. I for one think this regime is no better than most before them, the drafts have bordered on awful, FA pick ups have been mediocre outside of stumbling on a handful of guys and the scheme is bland.  I’m officially changing the tag from McBeane to Vanilla McBeane.   Were it not for Allen starting to look legit, people would be calling for everyone’s head.  The coaching has gotten us to 2-4, JA has taken them to 4–2.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Dude, this is like arguing that the menu at a restaurant should have called for pancakes and arguing that therefore the menu was wrong when actually the menus and the food have all been stolen.

The best game plan in the world won't work with poor execution. And game plans that aren't working due to poor execution should absolutely be changed on the fly.

The Chiefs didn't get 40 minutes of possession because they decided they'd do that before the game. They got 40 minutes of possession because the Bills were doing a solid job of making passing difficult, but a horrible job of doing the same for the run game. They got 40 minutes because they were able to run so they did it and did it and did it. And we couldn't run.

Like a said, bad strategy given the weather conditions, and to hold up against the run. 

14 hours ago, McBean said:

You can't name me one signature win in 4 years.

He hasn't beaten the Pats, sucked on primetime, and only beat the Steelers because the QB was named "Duck."

The Tennessee Titans have adopted their coaches attitude: Tough, resilient, aggressive, and don't back down from ANYBODY.

Our Bills have adopted their HC attitude: Timid, soft, and conservative with no aggression.

Sean McDermott was supposed to be a defensive guru yet, his defense is the worst I've seen in years.

A couple of other things:

1. The fake snap count to draw opposing team Offside DOESN'T WORK. It's soft. It's conservative. It's stupid. We let them rest for 5 minutes to just completely blow up the next play then proceeded to punt. That cost us huge.

2. I want somebody to be responsible for using this much capital into the defensive side of the ball through draft picks and free agents yet, we still SUCK. It's not acceptable and somebody needs to take ownership.

Make no mistake, this team is soft and can't compete with the big boys. We choked twice on primetime and will be lucky to win the East. The Patriots will shred this team.

We as fans deserve to be pissed because we have suffered to damn long to support this crap.

He'll never be aggressive enough to win the big game. His strength is process, whatever the hell that is anymore? His weakness is game day management & adjustments. Our 3rd qtrs over the last 2 years tells me everything I need to know about Sean McDermott. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

mcd has obviously done some good things, but there are a few signs that are extremely troubling

1.  the horrible record vs top level teams.  it's really starting to look like he has built a can crusher.

2.  the personal stuff.  letting philips and shak walk, to hire in some carolina rejects at bigish contracts who just suck, benching tyrod (i understand why he did it, but that kind of stuff can lead to mutiny) and now benching philips and murphy (which lead to an even worse DL performance).  it looks like desperation of a coach who is losing control.

3.  no cohesiveness to what the team does.  by this i mean, the bills often come out w a script that does well, but if something goes wrong (roberts tapping the ball to Tenn last week, brown letting a ball bounce off his face and hands last night) it takes a lot of the mojo out.  in both of the last two games, we had a strong TD drive after a putrid first drive (we even had a lead last night!), which i think is part of the script.  once those scripted plays run out, the entire coaching staff has no feel at all for the game.  you can't be so so so awful in the 3rd quarter as consistently as the bills are without some kind of coaching error/issue.  basically, my theory is the other team adjusts to our script, and we fall flat on our faces.  you also see this in the sort of degree of difficulty we have to go through for success.  every stop on D is some guy like screaming around the field making some big stop, or a sack, or an individual pass break up.  we don't seem to have the whole D smother the O like we see happen to our O so often.  on O, we have these insane over the top passes (at least one of which should have been caught last night) or allen dodging free rushers and rolling out to throw a dart to a guy who found a hole in coverage.  I think if we had a better coaching staff when it comes to managing the game, we'd make actual adjustments and execute plays that don't require some kind of heroic effort for regular results.

someone commented our coaches are great monday to saturday, i think that's 100% it.  they can get guys prepared for what they run during the week, but between the D requiring every single guy to be mistake free to work, and dabol playing mad scientist and having just no bread and butter plays or formations (except 4 WRs, which he decided was working to well so he got away from it) so our guys don't have the reps to perfect them.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He'll never be aggressive enough to win the big game. His strength is process, whatever the hell that is anymore? His weakness is game day management & adjustments. Our 3rd qtrs over the last 2 years tells me everything I need to know about Sean McDermott. 

i wrote a post that was basically this but using way more words and rambling and ranting.

14 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

Really? You have no idea what you’re talking about. What McD has done in such a short time boarders on miraculous. Accept that we’re not ready for prime time yet and that’s okay. It’s where we are right now. As long as Beane and McDermott keep building this team up, I am satisfied. Eventually we’ll be championship material. Because everybody jumped the gun and wanted us to be Super Bowl ready doesn’t mean we are.

There is a difference between sitting on the Super Bowl and cleaning it, right now we have our toilet scrubbers out cleaning up KC's *****.

14 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

The win against Dallas was pretty solid last year.

He's a middling sort of HC, though.

I've given this a little thought and came away with Cole Beasley signed with Buffalo last year right? Who is to say that he didn't give the Bills defense and offense the Cowboys entire playbook / standard game plan.

Kinda reminds me of 2013, when the Bills signed SS Lawyer Milloy who was formally from the Patriots and then the Bills went on to beat NE opening day 31-0. Naturally Billicheat fixed his game plan, play calls so at the end of the season 14-2 NE beat Buffalo 6-10, 31-0.

On another note, the Bills are currently 4-2 and did have the #3 overall defense last season. The 2020 Buffalo defense is 21st in points allowed, 23rd in yards allowed. The Bills should catch their breath this week against the 0-6 NY Jets who have no intention of winning this game in order to draft Trevor Lawrence. 

Buffalo should be 5-2 when they face the Patriots who will be coming off a game against the 49ers.

14 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Love how our record doesn't really mean anything when we beat teams with combined records of 2-7 or whatever.

Lose 2 games to teams a combined 9-1......EVERYONE PANIC

When are we going to be one of the two 9-1 teams? If Ryan Tannehill can do it, and our guys cant - it's not a good look.

• Awesome! (+1) 1