KC-BUF: 5 Things

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You lost me right here, Son. 

Any time our defense gives up 466 yards - Four Hundred and Sixty Six yards - 245 yards, that's two and a half lengths of the football field rushing - and allows the other team's offense to hang onto the ball almost 2:1 TOP - 38 minutes TOP - multiple third-and-longs converted, 9 out of 14 third downs -

Yeah, I sure as hell can by God blame the defense for this.

I hear Weird Al Yankovitch singing "Everything You Know is Wrong" as I read this.

Wat on earth are you talking about?  "by any measure" should be considered victory?

The Chargers held KC to 23 points.  They only scored 20 points  They lost.  NE held KC to 26 points.  They only scored 10 points.  We lost.

There is one measure of victory: scoring more points than the opponent when time expires.  Doing what two other LOSING teams did vs KC is not "by any measure" a victory.  We scored less points, it's a LOSS.

We let them have the ball for 38 minutes.  That's how you lose.

maybe my choice of words was poor but you know what I mean. Did you expect this defense to do better? I thought they came out  despite an extraordinarily vanilla game plan, held our team in the game. 

The Chiefs are 5-1 for a reason. You can bring up the numbers, and points allowed, etc. that’s a fair and respectable argument.

But as you very well know, each NFL game operates in a vacuum, and in tonight’s scenario, 9 times out of 10 I’d take 27 points against. 

P.S. Is that really how you win? Scoring more points? EXACTLY my point. The offense didn’t do that, so I’m not hanging this one on the D

Total team loss.

Im on to NJ

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Back the Blue said:

McD was right next to Poyer when he got the personal foul on the late hit.  Instead of getting in his face...he turns his back and walks away. 

To be honest, those two penalties showed the leaders were getting frustrated. I got no problem with it.  We were getting killed. Seemed after that they kind of started to play better. Still gave up some long third downs but we were starting to push them back in the run game. Just took 50 minutes to do so

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

KC’s defensive penalties really kept us in this one.  If the DBs (Breeland in particular) hadn’t committed so many PI, def holding and hands to the face penalties, then things would have been a lot worse. 

You might have it a little bit mixed.  If Breeland and the other Chiefs DBs weren't committing so much PI, maybe we'd have more receptions and things would be a lot better

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

You guys can excoriate me all you want, but McDermott is literally echoing me in his press conference right now. Pick your poison. Allowing rush yards was the plan -- not to say they wanted to allow that many -- but this is the kind of game they wanted, by design.

Um, I think you're misinterpreting McDermott.

Yes, they planned to contain the deep pass at the expense of giving up rushing yards and short passes.  But McDermott is in NO WAY saying he can't blame the defense or that the defense executed according to plan.  He is acknowledging they have a lot to work on, that they allowed conversion of too many 3rd and longs, that they lost contain on the QB, that their execution was poor.

He may even have acknowledged that benching Murphy and Phillips was a mistake - he said "may come right back to those guys this week"

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

1. The trenches are a dumpster fire

2. Nice to have the fan.....nevermind 

3. Build a dome

4. Allen has to be near perfect against great teams

5. Daboll will be our OC next year and beyond.  

I got the same feeling as last week, Buff would have to score most every drive to win.

12 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

maybe my choice of words was poor but you know what I mean. Did you expect this defense to do better?

If we're going to win, they need to be better!  Giving up 9 third down conversions and letting the other offense own the ball for 38 minutes of a 60 minute game is not how you win.

12 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

P.S. Is that really how you win? Scoring more points? EXACTLY my point. The offense didn’t do that, so I’m not hanging this one on the D

The offense can sustain drives and avoid 3-and-outs.  That's their side of the "complementary football" McD likes to talk about.  But when the offense DOES go 3-and-out, the D needs to get them the ball back and needs to stop scoring drives.  That's the D side of the "complementary football", so the D gets their full fair share of the blame.