KC-BUF: 5 Things

7 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

1. Kansas City is just better than us right now. That's okay.

It's "OK" in general but the larger picture is concerning when coupled with last week considering these are playoff teams we faced, it doesn't bode well for our chances this year.

2. You can't blame the defense for this one overall -- except for the White/Poyer penalties and the 3rd & 12.

I think this was a total team failure (coaching included...which is a troubling trend).

3. The story of this game is Josh Allen. He did not look good overall. Questions about his accuracy are real. Can he get better? If not, what does that mean? Let's not let the one fourth quarter drive distract from the game at large. Watching him, even though he's in his third year, you still just get the feeling that he's still learning and improving. When will he peak?

I fear he may have already peaked, or at least his peak is against sub-par teams.  He can't seem to get it together against quality opponents.

4. Nonetheless, we got good, motivated Kansas City, including one of those occasional very good defensive game plans from Steve S. Despite this, we were an inch away from a fumble that would have set us up to take a 24-23 lead over the champs in the waning moments of the fourth quarter. It's truly a game of inches.

The problem is that the Chiefs should have gotten a good, motivated Buffalo team, but what they got was a pan full of cupcakes.

5. When we calm down from this game, I think we should be pretty okay with it, questions about Allen notwithstanding. And, you have to say it again... We couldn't get off the field on 3rd & 12. I'm not sure why McDermott's defense struggles so much in these situations. It *was* Mahomes, but still.

This D has struggled against every team this year.  It's a coaching/scheme/talent problem.  Not sure it can be fixed this year.

That could have been a playoff game. We are still a playoff team. We will still crush the Jets next week. We'll go from there.

We MIGHT be a playoff team...but at this point in the McBeane tenure, what does that matter?  We need to be better than JUST a playoff team.  We need to be hanging with the top teams in the conference to be able to compete.  We MAY win the division with a weakened Pats team (don't sleep on the sneaky good Dolphins) but we are likely one and done in the playoffs at this rate.  We can barely score against quality teams (which comprise probably 90% of the playoffs) and can't stop anyone (which comprises 100% of the playoffs).

This defense needs to get fixed now. I don’t give a ***** what the league is like now. I’m not just conceding defensive efforts because scoring in the league is up. You can’t expect your offense to score on every possession. Especially with this QB. I don’t care what other teams do, I care about this one. Fix the ***** defense. Get rid of Fraiser tomorrow. He is terrible. Let McDermott take the Defense over. Get Edmunds off the field. He is killing us. Bring in at least 1 LB and some Dline help. The answer is not in the building. This is a great week to add. Use the Jet game as a transition week and get the new guys ready for NE. You can’t keep running the same guys out there. Edmunds needs to be benched. Period. He flat out sucks.

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus

11 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

2. You can't blame the defense for this one overall -- except for the White/Poyer penalties and the 3rd & 12.

3. The story of this game is Josh Allen. He did not look good overall. Questions about his accuracy are real. Can he get better? If not, what does that mean? Let's not let the one fourth quarter drive distract from the game at large. Watching him, even though he's in his third year, you still just get the feeling that he's still learning and improving. When will he peak?

4. Nonetheless, we got good, motivated Kansas City, including one of those occasional very good defensive game plans from Steve S. Despite this, we were an inch away from a fumble that would have set us up to take a 24-23 lead over the champs in the waning moments of the fourth quarter. It's truly a game of inches.

5. When we calm down from this game, I think we should be pretty okay with it, questions about Allen notwithstanding. And, you have to say it again... We couldn't get off the field on 3rd & 12. I'm not sure why McDermott's defense struggles so much in these situations. It *was* Mahomes, but still.

That could have been a playoff game. We are still a playoff team. We will still crush the Jets next week. We'll go from there.

KC’s defensive penalties really kept us in this one.  If the DBs (Breeland in particular) hadn’t committed so many PI, def holding and hands to the face penalties, then things would have been a lot worse. 

17 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Calm down.  They literally ran the ball down our throats. This defense went from #2 in the NFL to borderline laughingstock. Aside from Milano and White, every remaining defensive player needs to be re- evaluated for next year. Including Frazier. No spy today on Mahomes? What was that? He could run outside the pocket and either run or throw without anyone near him.

27 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Josh wasn’t the Josh we love.  But I’m sorry.  The defense gave up almost 500 yards.  And I don’t think it’s scheme.  They are being manhandled.

ultimately, quite a few of us liked the idea of adding someone else in the front 7 and particularly off the edge.

it wasn’t that I loved Clowney, it’s that I worried about this and there are only so many 6’5 260lbs athletes that can play with the hand on or off the ground. 

sitting here 6 in, I’d take Clowney over Murphy/Klein on the perimeter. I don’t think he’d fix the issues but he wouldn’t be a cause of it either. 

35 minutes ago, Best Player Available said:

Disagree on point 2. the defense sucked. Mahomes and co. realized that early on. Gobbling 7/8'yards a pop on the ground.

The Chiefs had zero incentve too power up their point scoring machine. They had the game early on. regardless of what the scoreboard said. 

I agree with you 1000% to me it looked like the chiefs weren't even trying to go 100% maybe they played to the 70-80% of their capacity. Our defense was absolute *****

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

A respectable perspective.

#3 is up in the air. Do note the weather, although we cannot completely write off the misfires.

Let's try and get to 5-2 vs a horrid Jets team, and eye up the Pats at home for the half way marker, and we may be feeling a bit better. Let's sleep on this one

20 minutes ago, Success said:

I disagree, OP.  I saw this game as a failure of the defense.  I cannot put it on Josh Allen.

QB's need opportunities.  The defense could not create more than 1 or 2.  They really failed.

They held the most dangerous offense in the league to 27 points, which is by any measure, should be considered victory in today's NFL.

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

No. No.  No.  It's not McD.

We decided to let Shaq and Philips go.

This has been the 2nd biggest miscalculation in the Beane era.

The first was Ford over DK.

Lawson and Phillips signed for $30m over 3 years each. 

We replaced them with Addison ($10m), Butler ($7.5m), and Jefferson ($6.75m), and replaced Alexander with Klein ($6m). Special teamer Matakevich is getting $4.5m a year. 

Phillips is a unique talent whose combination of size and pass rushing ability helped wear down opposing interior o-linemen, which was critical in enabling Hughes and Oliver to be able to win one-on-one matchups with their skill. Star’s physicality and size also helped open gaps for our finesse rushers, while Lawson’s reliability in setting the edge/physicality for a 4-3 DE kept the line from being physically overwhelmed. 

The linebacker play outside of Milano is completely undisciplined; without push from the interior, RBs are able to exploit small gaps and QBs can exploit the soft coverage in the middle of the field. As slow as Lorax looked sometimes, his discipline and play recognition helped Tremaine play instinctively rather than reactively. This defense needs reliable space eaters at DT and a disciplined play caller at LB for the rest of the unit to play to its strengths. 

Getting rid of young players who fit the scheme (and who signed reasonable contracts for three years) for overpriced rotation players with, yes, Carolina ties (Klein, Addison, and Butler) made little sense from a cap or talent perspective. We could have signed Blake Martinez, Lawson, and Phillips for $30m AAV instead of Addison, Klein, Butler, Jefferson, and Matakevich for $35m. 

Edited by ny33
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

You lost me right here, Son. 

Any time our defense gives up 466 yards - Four Hundred and Sixty Six yards - 245 yards, that's two and a half lengths of the football field rushing - and allows the other team's offense to hang onto the ball almost 2:1 TOP - 38 minutes TOP - multiple third-and-longs converted, 9 out of 14 third downs -

Yeah, I sure as hell can by God blame the defense for this.

40 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

They held the most dangerous offense in the league to 27 points, which is by any measure, should be considered victory in today's NFL.

I hear Weird Al Yankovitch singing "Everything You Know is Wrong" as I read this.

Wat on earth are you talking about?  "by any measure" should be considered victory?

The Chargers held KC to 23 points.  They only scored 20 points  They lost.  NE held KC to 26 points.  They only scored 10 points.  We lost.

There is one measure of victory: scoring more points than the opponent when time expires.  Doing what two other LOSING teams did vs KC is not "by any measure" a victory.  We scored less points, it's a LOSS.

We let them have the ball for 38 minutes.  That's how you lose.