KC-BUF: 5 Things

1. Kansas City is just better than us right now. That's okay.

2. You can't blame the defense for this one overall -- except for the White/Poyer penalties and the 3rd & 12.

3. The story of this game is Josh Allen. He did not look good overall. Questions about his accuracy are real. Can he get better? If not, what does that mean? Let's not let the one fourth quarter drive distract from the game at large. Watching him, even though he's in his third year, you still just get the feeling that he's still learning and improving. When will he peak?

4. Nonetheless, we got good, motivated Kansas City, including one of those occasional very good defensive game plans from Steve S. Despite this, we were an inch away from a fumble that would have set us up to take a 24-23 lead over the champs in the waning moments of the fourth quarter. It's truly a game of inches.

5. When we calm down from this game, I think we should be pretty okay with it, questions about Allen notwithstanding. And, you have to say it again... We couldn't get off the field on 3rd & 12. I'm not sure why McDermott's defense struggles so much in these situations. It *was* Mahomes, but still.

That could have been a playoff game. We are still a playoff team. We will still crush the Jets next week. We'll go from there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

2. You can't blame the defense for this one overall -- except for the White/Poyer penalties and the 3rd & 12.

3. The story of this game is Josh Allen. He did not look good overall. Questions about his accuracy are real. Can he get better? If not, what does that mean? Let's not let the one fourth quarter drive distract from the game at large. Watching him, even though he's in his third year, you still just get the feeling that he's still learning and improving. When will he peak?

4. Nonetheless, we got good, motivated Kansas City, including one of those occasional very good defensive game plans from Steve S. Despite this, we were an inch away from a fumble that would have set us up to take a 24-23 lead over the champs in the waning moments of the fourth quarter. It's truly a game of inches.

5. When we calm down from this game, I think we should be pretty okay with it, questions about Allen notwithstanding. And, you have to say it again... We couldn't get off the field on 3rd & 12. I'm not sure why McDermott's defense struggles so much in these situations. It *was* Mahomes, but still.

That could have been a playoff game. We are still a playoff team. We will still crush the Jets next week. We'll go from there.

Justin Zimmer is the bright light from this game.  He should start next week.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

I mean, you can most definitely blame the defense for this one. 100%. 

Here's the thing: when the Defense and offense both suck equally bad, I can blame them both 100%. 

The offense at least gave us a chance at the end. We got done in by the same garbage from last week - no outside contain on the QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Disagree on point 2. the defense sucked. Mahomes and co. realized that early on. Gobbling 7/8'yards a pop on the ground.

The Chiefs had zero incentve too power up their point scoring machine. They had the game early on. regardless of what the scoreboard said. 

Its another really bad defensive effort in the McD era. So many times in the past 3 years our D has been embarrassed under a coach who really should be doing better. We cannot make adjustments in game and some of the playcalls on D are atrocious! A sputtering offense in these conditions is expected but two weeks in a row of your defense being overwhelmed is simply inexcusable.

4 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

This defense needs to sign a DT. As much as I don't like Dareus I would almost welcome it. The Chiefs ran up the middle so many plays and got 5-8 yards.

I wrote a post about this yesterday and it was kicked off the board.  Something is wrong in the middle f the line.

Guys, yes, I'm sure McDermott didn't want them to rush as well as they did, but kind of letting them rush to an extent was the game plan. Kansas City had pretty much no big plays in the passing game. If we had come with a different strategy, we would have seen the high-flying, high-scoring Chiefs. This is the type of game that McDermott wanted to play. Granted, I wish we could have kept the rushing average down, but still.

3 minutes ago, Back the Blue said:

McD was right next to Poyer when he got the personal foul on the late hit.  Instead of getting in his face...he turns his back and walks away. 

Coaches have to know their players. That reaction may be more effective for Poyer.

• Like (+1) 1