What a gutless gameplan vs the Chiefs

Simon

29 minutes ago, delirious said:

How come everyone else's Defense plays mean and physical. While our D plays timid, no fire, no energy. 

Everyone else gets big lineman, Bills go with the small approach. KC line had some meatballs. You're not gonna win in the trenches with small tackles.

Oliver is too damn small. 

There was no urgency until our backs were pinned against the wall. Hard to watch. We can’t sit back and wait for our D to make plays because they are hard to come by these days. Top that off you never know when they are gonna get stuck on the field for a long drive because of ***** play. 

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

It can never be your strength when they're standing on the sideline all day.

Yea, I would rather roll the dice and attack opposing offenses even if it means weakening the integrity of your secondary at times. If they hit some big plays on us, so be it. We have an offense that can get points back in a hurry.

But putting pressure on people also leads to mistakes and turnovers and I think it's a better alternative than sitting back and bleeding out while your offense watches from the sidelines.

Fair enough but if we'd gone that route like we did last week and got smoked on the scoreboard the same way I guarantee they'd have faced more criticism for it. Not  that they should be letting that dictate their game plan but this one was defendable given the opponent. 

Wish we had some defensive play makers that inspired our coaches to want to take more chances. 

18 minutes ago, Augie said:

If you can find the right mindset, the posts after a loss are the BEST EVER! 

Beat the Jets (hopefully), and go into the Cheater’s game 5-2 having lost only to the two teams in last year’s AFC Championship game. How HORRIBLE is that? 

We have time to figure it out and get better. We have plenty of things to fix. I hope we manage to do exactly that. 

That is a glass half full mentality. Can't say it's wrong though. My only question is what are the quality wins in there? The raiders look ok in spurts and I think that might be it. The next Miami game is really going to be important to keep this thing going. 

1 minute ago, VW82 said:

Fair enough but if we'd gone that route like we did last week and got smoked on the scoreboard the same way I guarantee they'd have faced more criticism for it.

Maybe they would have, but you're right that it's beside the point. 

I don't mind dyin, but at least let me get my boots on and get in the fight.

42 minutes ago, Simon said:

The Bills coaching staff is afraid of their own shadows.

They need to embrace the strengths and weaknesses of this roster and install schemes and call games accordingly.

This is not a grind it out and limit possessions kind of football team.

Attacking on both sides of the ball, even recklessly if necessary, plays to this team's strengths and tiptoeing around the field on both offense and defense plays to its weaknesses.

They're not going to win a super bowl with this Front 7, but this roster can play with anybody if you give just them the chance to do so.

Just unleash the galdanged hounds on both sides of the ball and see who can deal with it.

I disagrer

the team can do short passes snd move the sticks  and burn the clock and get a time of possession advantage.

this is what was done by the chargers and raiders in challenging kc.  The raiders beat them the chargers just missed.

the defense plays a bend dont break  and limit them scoring. They go 3 tds and 2 FG fir 26 pts.They make 2 plays on the 4and inches and 3rd snd 10+ in thevredzone KC only gets 3 instead of 13.  

The team team needs to i,prove 3rd down Defense..especially when it’s 3rd snd long.

5 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

That is a glass half full mentality. Can't say it's wrong though. My only question is what are the quality wins in there? The raiders look ok in spurts and I think that might be it. The next Miami game is really going to be important to keep this thing going. 

The Rams are 4-2, so there is that......

You can only play the teams in front of you. We lost to the two teams in the AFC Championship game last year, and beat the rest. There is work to do, but I like our direction. 

Edited by Augie

It was totally gutless.

But I think McD identified that his team is gutless emotionally right now and was just trying to keep the score down to prevent the situation from getting worse.

Because we've seen stretches where McDermott teams fall into deep emotional chasms and it takes weeks to get out of it.

Maybe because his team can't relate to his "every day is the same" kinda' mentality.

"Do your job" works when you know the assignments are going to produce results if done correctly.   When the assignments aren't well designed people start going off script.

I suspect they will figure their way out of it like they did in 2017 after they played the worst 3 game defensive stretch in team history.........a softer schedule helps a lot.........they have probably played 3 of the 5 best teams they have on the schedule and are 4-2.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, XXI~PsychedelicBillsfan~ said:

let me reiterate, man. you said you wouldn't be surprised if they missed the playoffs. I added (in somewhat of an agreement), how does a team that wins only 7 or 8 games (unless it's the seattle seahawks) make the playoffs (I should of added) "anyway".

sorry to be confusing there, man.

this team can not hang with the big dogs yet. sure they will likely beat the jets, may split with the fins and unless McD can figure out how to beat a crippled pats team, BB still has his number.

jets-W

patriots-Lx 2

seattle-L

cardinals-?

chargers-L

49ers-?

steelers-L

broncos-L

fins-L

*cards/49ers could go either way?

3 (*maybe 5) more possible wins and 7 likely losses?

team is not ready to compete. boo on me. I will gladly serve up a large plate of crow "if" they can prove me wrong, man.

LOL what have the Chargers, Cardinals, Broncos and Fins done that make you think they lose those games?? Patriots win wtice? The only teams on that list that we should count as a loss are the Seahawks and Steelers.

36 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

He’s so bad. I gave him such high praise after last year but it seems like he is absolutely clueless this year 

He is the absolute Biggest issue on defense...he has our players consistently in the wrong scheme... He has no presnap motions or disguised blitzes...no ability to adjust and change his game plan to what the other team is doing...he has absolutely no clue how to stop what is beating him amd continues to trot out the same *****

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Locomark said:

I agree with it being a poor conservative gameplan likely due to weather. However Andy Reid executed the same gameplan and racked up 466 yards.   In the early 90s the great teams could execute the heavy running game gameplan also even though they were a spread pass team.  This team just does not have the talent on the Lines to win the ropeadope with a team a good as KC. 

McDermott is not even close to being in Reid’s class. I never have or will expect McDermott to outcoach a great coach. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Simon said:

They need to embrace the strengths and weaknesses of this roster and install schemes and call games accordingly.

Attacking on both sides of the ball, even recklessly if necessary, plays to this team's strengths and tiptoeing around the field on both offense and defense plays to its weaknesses.

They're not going to win a super bowl with this Front 7, but this roster can play with anybody if you give just them the chance to do so.

Just unleash the galdanged hounds on both sides of the ball and see who can deal with it.

KC would have blown us out if we brought the blitz which plays to Mahomes strength. Watch how the Raiders played them. They played zone and forced Mahomes off his game by getting pressure with the front 4. We couldn’t do that and on top of that had the ball run down our throats. That isn’t game plan that is just poor team defense.

Edited by billieve420

3 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Watch how the Raiders played them. 

I know how the Raiders played them. We played them very similarly.

We did not get a similar result.

Because we are not the Raiders.

1 hour ago, delirious said:

How come everyone else's Defense plays mean and physical. While our D plays timid, no fire, no energy. 

Everyone else gets big lineman, Bills go with the small approach. KC line had some meatballs. You're not gonna win in the trenches with small tackles.

Ya the small fast approach is trash and you need big guys on both sides up front.

This team is TINY on defense. They’re simply getting pushed around. HUGE miscalculation on the part of Beane and Coach Clappy. They thought ‘let’s get small and fast in a passing league’ and just found out why that doesn’t work! Once a team learns that can bulldoze you, they will....all game long.

8 hours ago, SACTOBILLSFAN said:

I wasn't expecting to win that game, but Allen regressing like this makes me so sad. I had talked myself into it being real. 

Allen isn’t really regressing per say, he’s still making some great plays out there, but the line is getting blown off the ball so he’s constantly under pressure.  Also in the conditions tonight, I think he lost a few of them on grip alone.   He’s reverting back to hero ball a little because he’s not getting any help at all, so some of the stupid decisions are creeping back in, that’s true.

8 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

We are still in the driver's seat for the division.  The Pats look pretty horrid.  I watched their game yesterday and they are nothing to fear.  Not to say they won't kick the snot out of us head-to-head, but they are going to bank a lot of losses this year regardless.  Crazy as it sounds, the Dolphins are back in play for the division and look like the best of the bunch at the moment. 

Frazier/McD are coaching as if we have an elite front four.  We don't.  We need to bring pressure like the Chiefs did the entire first half.  It's got to be frustrating for the defense, since the coaching is doing them no favors.

I personally will not be shocked if the Fins end up winning the division.

9 hours ago, Simon said:

Game plan wasn't the problem, which is true most of the time people say it's a bad game plan. Very true today, though.

Bad execution.

8 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Oliver is too damn small. 

He'll be fine once he regains his explosion. I'm worried about a lot of the rest of the DL, though.

Edited by Thurman#1