Week 6 Postgame Thread KC at Bills

The two games show me we are not an elite team. Also, a bad Texans team had the Titans beat. The sky isn't falling but there is lots of smoke in the air. 

41 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Four observations:

1)  Defenses have figured out that to beat Buffalo's offense you need to take away the aggressive throws downfield to the WR's.  The last two weeks they've gotten away with taking away our offensive strength because the Bills RB's and TE's are not dangerous enough to make you pay the price for keeping your safeties way back in coverage. 

2)  I don't think it's so much that Allen has regressed as the O-line has regressed.  They can't run block and Allen took a beating tonight.  I think I saw one clean pocket the whole night  And the negative yardage on run plays is inexcusable.  A turning point in this game was when we came out of the two minute warning in the first half and had a 2nd & 3 at the Chiefs 45 yard line we lost 6 yards on a run!  This put us in 3rd & 9 and we have way to many 3rd and longs.

3)  The next two weeks will tell us whether the ship will be righted or we're passengers on the Titanic.  Win these games and they are very winnable and we go to 6 - 2 and give NE at least 4 loses at the half way point.  It would also put us in a commanding lead in the East.

4)  We've lost back to back games to two teams that are a combined 10 - 1.  Now is not the time to panic.  If we lose the next 2 games then we can run down the street screaming the sky is falling.

The last two games clearly show we are not elite. Don't know how anyone can dispute that. Allen has clearly regressed. Just ask yourself if you have thought OMG he looks like he did in his rookie year. Mostly it's an accuracy issue with poor footwork. Yes, it doesn't help that we can't run nor protect him. The defense is just not good. Even when we were winning it wasn't good. We can't cover tight ends, can't stop the run, and we aren't very good on 3rd downs. Lots of season to see if we can turn things around. I'm most concerned with Allen. 

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I am feeling quite sad about josh Allen’s regression these last two games, but especially this one.  He easily able to beat man coverage and pressure early this year.  Not sure what happened tonight.

It's by far the most important story with these last 2 losses, but for some reason, everyone wants to talk about the defense.

The D has been bad all year long.  The Offense is what has changed.

We need to figure out how to get it back, and fast.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I thought that also, but I don’t see how beating a glorified college team helps you get right.  false confidence perhaps.  

You play the schedule you're given. Somedays you get the Chiefs, somedays you get the Jets.  A win is a win.

Let's get Adam Gase fired and use that momentum to take down Russ in two weeks.

Edited by TheElectricCompany
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

The two games show me we are not an elite team. Also, a bad Texans team had the Titans beat.

What’s it called when you almost beat someone? Oh yeah, losing. Who cares what the Titans did against the Texans. By the transitive property the Bills are better than the Chiefs because they beat the Raiders and the Chiefs didn’t. Do people really expect the Bills to go 16-0? They’re in 1st place and have the Jets next week. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

The two games show me we are not an elite team. Also, a bad Texans team had the Titans beat. The sky isn't falling but there is lots of smoke in the air. 

The last two games clearly show we are not elite. Don't know how anyone can dispute that. Allen has clearly regressed. Just ask yourself if you have thought OMG he looks like he did in his rookie year. Mostly it's an accuracy issue with poor footwork. Yes, it doesn't help that we can't run nor protect him. The defense is just not good. Even when we were winning it wasn't good. We can't cover tight ends, can't stop the run, and we aren't very good on 3rd downs. Lots of season to see if we can turn things around. I'm most concerned with Allen. 

I disagree about Allen.  First off he did not look like he did in 2018 against the Titans.  I think people who say this don't have a clear memory of how Allen struggled throwing the ball that year.  The last two games Allen has looked like he did last season.  But that has also been against teams with a combined 10- 1 record.  I'm not concerned about Allen if this year he has 5 or 6 games where he plays like he did last year and 10 or 11 games where he plays better then last year.  So far he's 4 - 2.

I agree we are not an elite team.  This year will be a success if:

* we can win the AFC East and win a playoff game

* continue to see Allen improve

* get a read on or see Oliver, Edmunds, Singletery, Ford & Knox improve.

Frankly, my biggest concern right now is with Ed Oliver.  He was the 9th pick in the draft in 2019 and he has not played well at DT.  Missing with Oliver is almost as damaging as missing with Allen and for the record we didn't miss with Allen.  He's the guy.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

Processes are inheritinly predictable.

Way too beholden to the play scripts just like last year. The lack of, or fear of, deviating from the script costs the team games.

It works great when you play against subpar coaching talent like Gase and fellow script loving coaches like McVay.

Andy Reid? BB?  Not a chance. Those guys know you are coming and from what direction.

This team will need to change up the strategy often to beat the good teams this year. 

The last thing a championship team needs to do is learn how to beat elite teams consistently. It's the final step of any team building process. The Bills right now are battling defensive issues and teams adjusting to Josh defensively, they need to overcome that before they can beat good teams with any sort of consistency. Honestly I think this Bills team is still good and can still win 10-12 games. I think McD is a good coach and Beane a good GM. I feel that the defense needs to adjust scheme wise, get Milano back and bring in a big run stuffing DT. Ideally I would add in trading for a big time pass rusher but that might be easier said than done. 

McD has to be more dynamic as a coach and learn to handle the illness of more as Pat Riley coined it. Basically it is a concept that once a team starts to win the players start to look out for their interests more. Role players want to start and get paid, starters want the ball more and a contract extension and the stars want the ball more and a bigger contract extension. I think the relative success of the past three years (10 wins last season and playoffs in 2017) has been a hamper on the defense. Tre got a huge extension, Poyer got his deal, Hughes got his new deal, Addision was brought in on a big contract, Milano and others are about a year away from new deals. 

Overall I think the defense needs some one field additions. Getting Milano and Levi back from injury will help. But they need to find a big body for up the middle. Butler is not cutting it, Zimmer gives effort but he is raw and I think Henry hasn't recovered from his injury. They need a Snacks Harrison type space eater. Signing him or another similar type of player could help the run defense. I also think the defense needs to cut a player or two. I would personally start with Butler to send a message. I think benching Murphy and Henry was a good idea but you need bigger consequences. I also think firing Frazier might send that type of message. 

Finally I think this team's season is likely to end at the divisional round unless they get a big addition to the defense like Yannick. They need a big time pass rusher. I think Yannick for a 2nd and a late round pick is something that could interest Minny. Adding that big time pass rusher and a run stuffer (which I think can be found off the street) are two key additions that might help the front 7. 

probably one of Allens most disappointing performances of his career 

he had opportunities to show the world how well hes improved and he just regressed so bad. I'm sure he will bounce back but tonight was the night to be his coming out party and he failed big time. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

probably one of Allens most disappointing performances of his career 

he had opportunities to show the world how well hes improved and he just regressed so bad. I'm sure he will bounce back but tonight was the night to be his coming out party and he failed big time. 

It did feel that way.

But man, do I wish the D had been able to get him just one more opportunity at the end.  I felt like he turned the corner on that last TD drive - and we've seen "4th quarter Josh" enough at this point to know that he does find another gear.

That completely unnecessary hit by Poyer is going to stick w/ me for awhile.  I think there is an excellent chance we win the game without that.

3 hours ago, Frez said:

We are good at beating bad teams , that’s all we got. 

I was so hoping this game would finally break that narrative. But it’s not to be..

Hell, Chiefs even had the audacity to show up at Duff aft raid and do this!

OUCH!

9AE9F735-088B-46A3-A1E1-656F4A26E34F.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

And then reality set in. Let’s face it, we are a few players away from being able to run with the big dogs. Expectations have been reset. Given what we’ve seen from this defense to date, I no longer think we have what it takes to win the division and we will be hard pressed to win a wild card spot as well. Unfortunately, the problems on defense aren’t fixable schematically because scheme doesn’t matter when you can’t avoid getting your ass handed to you on a play to play basis.

If good Josh doesn’t show up, we have no chance on offense, either. 

K-9 you sorry ol' hang-dog.

If they win next week against the dog-assed ones they will be 3-0 in division.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

In successive weeks Derrick Henry and Tyreek Hill have been non-factors. Unfortunately, this has exposed the limitations of other areas of the defense. I think if I could have chosen someone to nullify it would have been Kelce but they definitely took away splash passing plays.

The two out of bounds hits and the sloppy Diggs penalty were infuriating because those guys (White,Poyer,Diggs) are supposedly leaders (captains?) on O and D.

It is worth pointing out that the Buffalo DL coach Washington (Carolina's DC last year before demotion due to ineptitude) and Vernon Butler were key players one of the worst Run defenses in NFL history down here last year. Butler is not a run stopper and his sack total last year was a fortuitous outlier. 

2 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I disagree about Allen.  First off he did not look like he did in 2018 against the Titans.  I think people who say this don't have a clear memory of how Allen struggled throwing the ball that year.  The last two games Allen has looked like he did last season.  But that has also been against teams with a combined 10- 1 record.  I'm not concerned about Allen if this year he has 5 or 6 games where he plays like he did last year and 10 or 11 games where he plays better then last year.  So far he's 4 - 2.

I agree we are not an elite team.  This year will be a success if:

* we can win the AFC East and win a playoff game

* continue to see Allen improve

* get a read on or see Oliver, Edmunds, Singletery, Ford & Knox improve.

Frankly, my biggest concern right now is with Ed Oliver.  He was the 9th pick in the draft in 2019 and he has not played well at DT.  Missing with Oliver is almost as damaging as missing with Allen and for the record we didn't miss with Allen.  He's the guy.

Solid post. I disagree with your assessment of Allen in these last two games. He looked every bit of a young rookie QB. Tonight, the first play of the game was clear evidence of this. Pass after pass was inaccurate with poor footwork. The numbers don't lie either. They were horrendous. Without looking it up he was like 6-15 with 25 yards passing. The end result was 14-27 122 2 tds 1 int..To boot he throws an int finishing the game. My eyeball test saw a carbon copy of the raw QB we drafted. I don't know how anyone can't be worried about Allen. Hate to be a Debbie downer. I just think it's best for this forum to hear all opinions. What I dislike is people often get upset if you say something bad about the team. I'm a diehard fan and very much support the team. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Solid post. I disagree with your assessment of Allen in these last two games. He looked every bit of a young rookie QB. Tonight, the first play of the game was clear evidence of this. Pass after pass was inaccurate with poor footwork. The numbers don't lie either. They were horrendous. Without looking it up he was like 6-15 with 25 yards passing. The end result was 14-27 122 2 tds 1 int..To boot he throws an int finishing the game. My eyeball test saw a carbon copy of the raw QB we drafted. I don't know how anyone can't be worried about Allen. Hate to be a Debbie downer. I just think it's best for this forum to hear all opinions. What I dislike is people often get upset if you say something bad about the team. I'm a diehard fan and very much support the team. 

Tonight we saw rookie Josh. No confidence or accuracy early. And as usual in big games it seems like he gets wound way too tight. Maybe he was all jacked playing Mahomes and all his challenges to Josh. As I said in another post Josh is not as good as we saw weeks 1-4 and he's not as bad as these last 2 weeks. We just need more consistency out of him. This is year 3 when excuses are over.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The completely dominated us from start to finish. Holding them to 27 is hardly a moral victory. Josh/Daboll look lost these last 2 games. The new defensive players Beane acquired are terrible. No spy for Mahomes, brilliant? And now teams know they can run 200+ at will on use.

We did have Addison spying Mahomes. Then Mahomes moved him around and threw past him and that was it. It’s not like they were throwing the ball 50 times.