Week 6 Postgame Thread KC at Bills

8 minutes ago, daz28 said:

I've seen at least 2 people say our defensive game plan was good.  I'm not sure I live on the same planet as those people

Keep everything front and don’t let KC run up and down the field in a shoot out. If the Bills didn’t give up 250 yds on the ground and could make a timely stop on 3rd and long once in a while we would have had a shot at beating them. I put more of the blame on the players. I saw stupid penalties, poor tackling, miscommunication, and bad run fits all game. Offense had their issues and deserves some of the blame. 

However, this has been a steep drop off for this defense this year and I am hoping McDermott can fix some things once we hit the bye week and team gets some continuity. Hopefully, we can get Wallace and Milano back on the field sooner than later which should help as well.

1 minute ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

This one reminded me of XXV.

The D couldn’t stop the Run,
was impossibly inept on 3rd. Downs ( did they really give up 3rd. & 11, 12 AND 14?)

and finally, they got smoked on Time of Possession... 37-23 in minutes!

Woeful and if not corrected... going nowhere.

There are a few things the team can do realistically. First is fire Frazier, second is sign a run stuffing DT, third is cut Butler. fourth is to play Zimmer some more and fifth is get Milano back healthy. That should help the rush defense and LB play. The harder fix is going to be the pass rush. Hughes is shot, Addision is a supplemental player and Ed Oliver isn't rushing up the middle like he needs to. If I were McBeane I would call up Minny and offer a 2nd for Yannick. Minny isn't going anywhere and Yannick is on a one year deal (and you can cut Murphy to help with the cap hit.) 

I think the defense can be fixed. Remember last season weeks 7-11 when the defense was giving up 200 yards on the ground to bad teams? They turned it around. McD called the defense again, they brought in Lugiet, and Milano came back. A little bit more is needed this time but it is possible they turn it around.

Just now, billieve420 said:

Keep everything front and don’t let KC run up and down the field in a shoot out. If the Bills didn’t give up 250 yds on the ground and could make a timely stop on 3rd and long once in a while we would have had a shot at beating them. I put more of the blame on the players. I saw stupid penalties, poor tackling, miscommunication, and bad run fits all game. Offense had their issues and deserves some of the blame. 

However, this has been a steep drop off for this defense this year and I am hoping McDermott can fix some things once we hit the bye week and team gets some continuity. Hopefully, we can get Wallace and Milano back on the field sooner than later which should help as well.

I think the defense needs a shock to the system. Cut a starting player like Butler and fire Frazier, got to get these guys more motivated. 

3 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

and if KC couldn’t run at will we would have had the ball more.  saying no one cares about run D is bonkers.  Well, it looks like Frazier may not.  That’s working out well.   L’s to two top teams.  

I'm not saying the defense played well. But no one is beating the Chiefs with defense. I thought our defensive game plan was exactly right. You do NOT blitz Mahomes. I am shocked to see some people on here saying we didn't blitz enough. You rush 4 and give up run yardage. Keep them away from big plays and out of the endzone and your offense just has to put up points, it's that simple. Derek Carr throwing to Zay Jones and Nelson Aghalor and a rookie WR was able to do it. Allen and this offense has to be able to do it. I've already accepted the defense is going to be average at best this year. The offense has the talent to pick them up. Choke job tonight.

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

No one cares about run defense anymore. If Allen and the offense played at the level they did the first 4 weeks we would have magically stopped the run by halftime. Mahomes didn't play spectacular, he just made enough good throws to keep the offense on the field. If Allen did the same we would have won. He choked. I hate to say it but it's true.

Mahomes was 21 of 25.  He took everything we gave him.  He didn’t miss any throws.  He scrambled for first downs numerous times.  

Any time you can run all day long you do.  

1 minute ago, billieve420 said:

Keep everything front and don’t let KC run up and down the field in a shoot out. If the Bills didn’t give up 250 yds on the ground and could make a timely stop on 3rd and long once in a while we would have had a shot at beating them. 

The Bills DID give up 250 yds.  They DID give up all the 3rd downs.  Tweeting that you had a crappy game plan that didn't work at all is just ridiculous.  

Just now, HappyDays said:

I'm not saying the defense played well. But no one is beating the Chiefs with defense. I thought our defensive game plan was exactly right. You do NOT blitz Mahomes. I am shocked to see some people on here saying we didn't blitz enough. You rush 4 and give up run yardage. Keep them away from big plays and out of the endzone and your offense just has to put up points, it's that simple. Derek Carr throwing to Zay Jones and Nelson Aghalor and a rookie WR was able to do it. Allen and this offense has to be able to do it. I've already accepted the defense is going to be average at best this year. The offense has the talent to pick them up. Choke job tonight.

They gave up 470 yards of offense and let the Chiefs dominate the ball. How can your offense win a shootout with the Chiefs when they never get the ball?

3 minutes ago, delirious said:

Oh on a side note - where was Tyrell Dodson? I don't think I saw him at all, yet I don't remember seeing him on the inactive list. I didn't think he was playing that bad when in previous games....

Hurt his hamstring covering a late return punt. But...to your point, he was basically invisible before that.