Trent Murphy and Harrison Phillips benched for Chiefs game

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Low bar, but Zimmer was one of the better players in the game 

I am so not persuaded of this.  He made a couple splash plays, but I also saw him missing tackles and just getting shoved back on his ass by the KC OL. 

It's sort of like AJ Klein, I saw him make some very sound plays but I'm not persuaded overall that he played well.

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Why so much Klein and no Dodson?  Very curious that the Bills used this game to experiment so extensively with personnel.

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I am so not persuaded of this.  He made a couple splash plays, but I also saw him missing tackles and just getting shoved back on his ass by the KC OL. 

It's sort of like AJ Klein, I saw him make some very sound plays but I'm not persuaded overall that he played well.

Why so much Klein and no Dodson?  Very curious that the Bills used this game to experiment so extensively with personnel.

Dodson hurt his hamstring at some point in the 2nd half

To me, this little experiment of McDermott's reminded me of benching Tyrod for Peterman. That blew up in his face as well. Then last night we get destroyed by the Chiefs on the ground after holding Derrick Henry to 57 yards on 19 carries the previous week. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I saw that in Yolo's thread just now.  Was it commented on in the broadcast at all?

I don't believe so. The only reason I even remember it happened was due to people mentioning it in the gameday thread going on at the time. 

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

To me, this little experiment of McDermott's reminded me of benching Tyrod for Peterman. That blew up in his face as well. Then last night we get destroyed by the Chiefs on the ground after holding Derrick Henry to 57 yards on 19 carries the previous week. 

Strangely, I had the same thought myself:

But to be fair, the game plans the defense employed were very different.  Against the Titans we 'sold out' to stop the run and manned up in the secondary a lot.

Last night we played to take away the deep pass, and told the Chiefs to beat us if they could with the run game and short pass.

In both games, failing to set the edge and losing contain, and missed tackles were huuuuuge.

• Like (+1) 1

However, it can be argued that no player had a greater impact on defense than defensive tackle Justin Zimmer. In 32 defensive snaps last night, he recorded six total tackles (including two solo and one for loss), a hit on the quarterback, and almost had a forced fumble. He was also effective in a limited role week one, tallying four total tackles and a tackle for loss on 16 snaps. At this point, Zimmer is arguably one of the better defensive linemen on the Bills roster and deserves a promotion from the practice squad. In fact, he reminds me of one Star Lotulelei. So, in this installment of “2020 Vision”, we will be investigating whether Justin Zimmer is, in fact, the next Star Lotulelei.

https://thebuffalofanatics.com/2020/10/20/buffalo-bills-2020-vision-is-justin-zimmer-the-next-star-lotulelei/

I wonder if this was a single-game decision based on the opponent and defensive game plan?

As we know the NFL is a copycat league -- and both the Patriots and Raiders had some success with essentially a prevent defense, which is more or less what the Bills tried last night. The problem is that some coaches (like Andy Reid) are capable of adjusting -- and the Chiefs countered by running the ball effectively and making good on the underneath routes. Funny enough, the Chiefs employed a similar defensive strategy against the Bills, who still haven't shown they can effectively run the ball.