Trent Murphy and Harrison Phillips benched for Chiefs game

YoloinOhio

12 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Don, didn’t you hear, Milano sucks too, oh wait, people not knowing a damn thing about football.  Still thinking you need a LB like R. Lewis who is 255 lbs., vs. the 2020 Wil. LB who is 235 lbs., athletic, plays sideline to sideline, and can cover TE’s, you know like Kelce tonight.  I’m kidding, but never banged on Star as he was a space eating 1 technique DT, who wasn’t meant to get a ton of sacks as we had J. Phillips for that, but to be our big old Teddy W.

He was fine.  Bottom line is these coaches will need to coach what they have and see what is the best combination.  There is no magic bullet off this team.  The only one I’d want who knows our defense and team back and forward in Lorax.  Get it over with and get him back.  Even if he plays 40% of defensive snaps it’s far worth it, oh and he’s relatively cheap.

Ok no one has ever said Milano sucks on this board even after he bounced off Watson. Some of us believe his ability is overstated on this board.

The Milano discussion is whether he should be signed long-term and the cost especially in light of his injury history. 

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Obviously, we prefer the thoughtful response to the rooftop screaming here, as it makes a more valuable contribution and a more interesting fan board

On the other hand,to be fair, fans do become "fanatically positive" about a player who is still maturing and evolving, proclaiming he's great, all-world, the franchise, etc etc which is, when you come to think of it, the "manic" side of the bipolar fan 4 games into a season, and often precedes the inevitable flip-flop and crash.  It's pretty hard to push back on the sucks, trash, worthless, bust, worthless etc without losing the equal and opposite enthusiasm since IMHO they often (not always) come from the same place

No argument on the "trade for Jalen Ramsey to replace him" being useless LOL

I should note I don’t support either side lol. 

I find both useless, it’s definitely valid to be excited and/or upset about a player... but be able to back it up. The posters here that do that make things so much more engaging, but sometimes to get to it you have to scroll through 40 “he’s a franchise QB” and “dude is trash. Cut him and fire Beane” to get there. 

Everyone spends a little extra time stating their opinions and producing thoughtful content from time to time and things get super fun around here. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, babulator said:

I actually thought Lawson was gonna sign a much bigger deal and was content to let him walk and was sad to lose Jordan.

I towed the "In Beane We Trust" line too.

We should have kept both looking back.

Jerry certainly hasn't helped the situation, and maybe Star not playing this year changes things too,  but  i wish we had these guys back for sure.

I don't think Phillips and Lawson would be performing better than Jefferson and Addison who are performing solidly. So to think if you had both Lawson and Phillips the team would have a much better D-line is flawed. The players that replaced them are doing about as well as they would be doing. Do you think the difference between Lawson/J.Phillips and Jefferson/Addison is what is causing the D-line issues? 

Hughes getting older, H.Phillips not looking good, Star being out, and AJ not having an impact all still would be issues even if Lawson and Phillips were here instead of Jefferson/Addison. 

24 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Murphy has shown problems in containing RBs and QBs.  This is a good move at the right time.

Philiips is still recovering from his injury while i still do not understand why Murphy is still on this team.  Just cut thr dude,  cannot stop the run and cannot the pressure on the QB.  Until Sean underatands high motor guys are only good if they are playing along side some very good players,  Murphy at 10 mllion is the worse starting DE in the whole NFL

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Ok no one has ever said Milano sucks on this board even after he bounced off Watson. Some of us believe his ability is overstated on this board.

The Milano discussion is whether he should be signed long-term and the cost especially in light of his injury history. 

Not accurate Ethan, and wasn’t directed to you at all.  He was either interchangeable, to expendable, to not worth it, or avg. at best.  Read the history, and no I won’t reply as you have you’re opinion.  I respect, but respectfully disagree.  Spotrac state he has a $13 mil./yr. value and if we extended him now would include this years cheap 5th round draft pick value bringing him down to $10.7 mil./yr. which is what people did on the math with Dawkins.  They made the argument his $15 mil./yr. was only 12.6 mil. Given the cheap year this year.  

We are now seeing what it’s like without him and he was a lot more valuable than was expounded upon for the last 8 months.  Believe what you want my fellow Bills friend, but these guys, meaning Star and him are more valuable than people have stated in the past.  Agree to disagree I guess.  

Go Bills tonight!

3 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Philiips is still recovering from his injury while i still do not understand why Murphy is still on this team.  Just cut thr dude,  cannot stop the run and cannot the pressure on the QB.  Until Sean underatands high motor guys are only good if they are playing along side some very good players,  Murphy at 10 mllion is the worse starting DE in the whole NFL

To be fair Murphy was playing pretty good the 2nd half of last season.  He has not played that way this season.

His containment has been bad and if he is not getting pressures on the QB or disrupting the back field his worth diminishes greatly.

As to the McDermott comment, I think Sean understands football players.

40 minutes ago, babulator said:

I actually thought Lawson was gonna sign a much bigger deal and was content to let him walk and was sad to lose Jordan.

I towed the "In Beane We Trust" line too.

We should have kept both looking back.

Jerry certainly hasn't helped the situation, and maybe Star not playing this year changes things too,  but  i wish we had these guys back for sure.

Jerry Hughes is not a huge concern for me at the moment. He may lose containment, but he is still a decent pass rusher. He just can't be "the guy" at this point in his career. The rest of the line is "meh" role players on their best days, and Hughes is still the only focus in terms of stopping the pass rush. If we could get better penetration from the DT position and/or better play from the MLB position, Hughes is still a really nice piece to have. But no, Hughes is not what he once was, and is not good enough to take over a game at DE with bad DT and MLB play. We would need a JJ Watt, Khalil Mack, etc. type player to make up for the deficiencies in the rest of the front 7 playing well below average NFL level. There are not a ton of those guys around. Saying we need that is a lot easier than actually getting a guy at that level. 

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

They have some talent on the defensive line that really hasn't lived up to the hype outside of the 2nd half of the Raiders game.... Jefferson, Butler, and Oliver. To this point, their defensive acquisitions via FA have flopped....You'd think they'd get more out of them consider they were pretty much all from Carolina.

I have been critical of this FO at this point. If the team is going to keep chasing Carolina retreads they are going to catch more flack when they do not pan out. It is less the Carolina issue with me and more the spending a good chunk of money on past reputations. Vontae, Jefferson, Butler, Norman. We have seen this FO do this a few times and have it not pan out. The FO needs to do a better job of identifying FA at the right trajectories in their career. 

I am not going to crucify them mid season. We are still 4-1 and playing the Chiefs tonight. We have to find a solution for the next few months with the guys we have. Hoping this shake up can help fix some things because it is really all we have at the moment. Otherwise this is just me arguing with my SO other and bringing up the last big fight we had. Doesn't do anything in the moment. 

(I think this is what my therapist would call growth)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

My overall view s that McD decided to stick his paws into the D philosophy and planning. We may see a very different style of D today. Worst case it crashes and burns but likely no worse than against the Titans. With Brown back, there is a possibility that Allen and crowd can cover up for much of the D's ineptitude anyway. 

If (when) we win today, I will tip my hat to McD the coach

I have no problem with giving guys a breather, but shouldn't your 4 best guys on the line be closer to 65-70%(or even higher for your best 1 or 2 DL) snap counts versus this...

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/snap-counts?year=2020&team=BUF&week=ALL&position=DL&op=Submit&form_build_id=form-uKZUpYm1n3hMHjix2aaJ7fMO_NkbbFH-FDSmFbgqatU&form_id=fo_stats_snap_counts_form

Edited by Back the Blue