Trent Murphy and Harrison Phillips benched for Chiefs game

YoloinOhio

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That was my thought too, although it would put McDermott/Frazier in a big bind not to be able to play whoever they think best, or at least have them available in case of injury

Yes and no. Cutting Murphy only counts against this season. Then his hugely overpaid salary is done. Buy a mercenary on his last season. If he plays great, we’ll try to sign him again next season, but we’ll have other priorities. 

This is the best Bills team this century. Our rookie QB Contract window is closing fast. Give us the pieces we need NOW! 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I didn't like them but said "In Beane We Trust"

I actually thought Lawson was gonna sign a much bigger deal and was content to let him walk and was sad to lose Jordan.

I towed the "In Beane We Trust" line too.

We should have kept both looking back.

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Honestly the players they brought in to replace Jordan and Shaq aren't the issue (Addision and Jefferson) and Shaq and Jordan aren't having great seasons in their new teams either. The issue is age is catching up to Hughes, Henry hasn't been good (seems to me like he hasn't recovered from his injury), Butler has stunk and Ed Oliver hasn't taken that next step up just yet. 

It's more so on the existing players than on the guys that replaced Shaq and Jordan Phillips in my opinion. 

Jerry certainly hasn't helped the situation, and maybe Star not playing this year changes things too,  but  i wish we had these guys back for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So I'm trying to look at what would be happening if this were true. 

Remember so far the only source is this NFL-N Tom Pelissaro guy, and that McDermott is Not A Fan of tipping his hand personnel-wise

Here's our depth chart off Buffalo Bills.com

image.thumb.png.9d33e0062ecd13f8969eef3652b2454d.png

Per Joe B, last game the Bills pretty much played a 3 man rotation at DE featuring Hughes, Addison, and Murphy.

Hughes with Addison was the most common, and Hughes with Murphy the runner-up.

Epenesa and Johnson got a whole 7 snaps in the first half.

So if Murphy is inactive, what would that mean?  Giving Epenesa and Johnson more time?  Johnson was benched last year due to struggles against the run.

This is what Joe B had to say about Epenesa:

Late in the Titans game, he showed a good reaction to the snap, whipped around Tennessee right tackle Dennis Kelly and tripped up Derrick Henry for a 3-yard loss. It was a great play. The rest of the time, though, Epenesa was borderline unplayable. He received a total of six snaps against the Titans and he needed to show more on four of them.

Now I grant you that Joe B's perspective and the coaches' perspective may not coincide, and that the Bills want to shake things up, but it would seem odd to make Murphy inactive for Epenesa and Johnson. 

Likewise, even let's say the Bills plan to start Addison and Butler.  Injuries happen; what's their backup plan if Phillips is inactive?

The only reason I could see this making sense is if Beane has a trade in the works and they're inactive to ensure they stay healthy.

I'm skeptical of this report.  Time will tell.

So with elevating Cox and Zimmer, it's in an "increasing credibility zone"

14 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Sheesh, some of y'all "fans" that really "love" this team sure have a lot of disparaging things to say about other human beings that are infinitely more athletically gifted than anyone posting here. I see crap like "worthless" or "waste of space/money" or "absolutely awful" or "putrid" or whatever other colorful terms you Rhodes scholars can come up with. It's one thing to criticize a guy and just say, "Yeah, he hasn't been playing very well" but the insults are just bullcrap, grow up. 

Thanks for making this post, I'll get started on telling all sports fans around the world that they can't ever criticize players on their favorite team because they have a slower 40 yard dash time and can bench fewer reps than those players.  

Being sometimes unhappy with the play of a player/a whole team is part and parcel of being a fan.  Also making disparaging comments about posters while telling them not make disparaging comments about players is something else.

• Like (+1) 1

This team desperately needs a Cornelius Bennett in his prime type player. 

Someone to fly around and create mayhem in the backfield, create strains in the opposing team's pass rush scheme, and panic/distract the QB with his general presence.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

But... Star sucks, I read it right here on this forum.... 

😁 Go Bills!!!

Don, didn’t you hear, Milano sucks too, oh wait, people not knowing a damn thing about football.  Still thinking you need a LB like R. Lewis who is 255 lbs., vs. the 2020 Wil. LB who is 235 lbs., athletic, plays sideline to sideline, and can cover TE’s, you know like Kelce tonight.  I’m kidding, but never banged on Star as he was a space eating 1 technique DT, who wasn’t meant to get a ton of sacks as we had J. Phillips for that, but to be our big old Teddy W.

He was fine.  Bottom line is these coaches will need to coach what they have and see what is the best combination.  There is no magic bullet off this team.  The only one I’d want who knows our defense and team back and forward in Lorax.  Get it over with and get him back.  Even if he plays 40% of defensive snaps it’s far worth it, oh and he’s relatively cheap.

4 minutes ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

Thanks for making this post, I'll get started on telling all sports fans around the world that they can't ever criticize players on their favorite team because they have a slower 40 yard dash time and can bench fewer reps than those players.  

Being sometimes unhappy with the play of a player/a whole team is part and parcel of being a fan.  Also making disparaging comments about posters while telling them not make disparaging comments about players is something else.

Crafting a thoughtful response on why the player isn’t performing well or what you’re noticing is a valid form of criticism. 

Screaming from the rooftops that a player is “trash”, “sucks”, or whatever other one word lines fans like to throw out is a waste of time. Why are they trash? What are they doing that sucks? 

You can have a dissenting opinion on performance and even a dislike for certain players... but at least come up with something thoughtful as to why you feel that way. 

Crushing beers, watching the Bills for 2.5 hours a week and seeing a guy get burnt one time and immediately posting “he needs to be cut” or “trade for Jalen Ramsey to replace him” is useless. 

• Awesome! (+1) 3

100% ok with benching Murphy. I don’t understand benching Phillips though. He has not been great but he needs snaps to develop. Kudos to McD for being willing to make a change. Makes choosing Murphy over Lawson look even worse now. But water under the bridge. Let's see how Epenesa plays with more snaps. Hopefully he can generate some outside rush.

9 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Crafting a thoughtful response on why the player isn’t performing well or what you’re noticing is a valid form of criticism. 

Screaming from the rooftops that a player is “trash”, “sucks”, or whatever other one word lines fans like to throw out is a waste of time. Why are they trash? What are they doing that sucks? 

You can have a dissenting opinion on performance and even a dislike for certain players... but at least come up with something thoughtful as to why you feel that way. 

Crushing beers, watching the Bills for 2.5 hours a week and seeing a guy get burnt one time and immediately posting “he needs to be cut” or “trade for Jalen Ramsey to replace him” is useless. 

Obviously, we prefer the thoughtful response to the rooftop screaming here, as it makes a more valuable contribution and a more interesting fan board

On the other hand,to be fair, fans do become "fanatically positive" about a player who is still maturing and evolving, proclaiming he's great, all-world, the franchise, etc etc which is, when you come to think of it, the "manic" side of the bipolar fan 4 games into a season, and often precedes the inevitable flip-flop and crash.  It's pretty hard to push back on the sucks, trash, worthless, bust, worthless etc without losing the equal and opposite enthusiasm since IMHO they often (not always) come from the same place

No argument on the "trade for Jalen Ramsey to replace him" being useless LOL

18 minutes ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

now if you start going to the players’ homes and spray painting genitalia on their front lawn, well...

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I didn't like letting them go but said "In Beane We Trust"

Neither are doing that great on either team they are on. Phillips has two sacks but he has graded out poorly and Cardinals fans have basically stated that he has only had one good game and been mostly invisible. Shaq has been OK for the Fins but not that dynamic and might be hurt (I know he missed one game for them.) Honestly Addision and Jefferson have been pretty decent and two of the better D-line players this season. Overall it is more so on Hughes getting older seemingly, Henry being off, Star being missed and AJ not having as big of an impact as he could are all more the culprit.