Trent Murphy and Harrison Phillips benched for Chiefs game

YoloinOhio

Just now, par73 said:

Murphy is horrible. I'm thinking Phillips hasn't fully recovered from the knee injury.

Murphy is a JAG rotational player, I am fine with dumping him and giving his snaps to other players or just having the other guys in front of him play more. As far as Phillips I think his injury is hampering him. Phillips was a beast the first 5 games of the season. Once he got hurt the run defense began its horrid stretch of play and I think the two are at least somewhat related last season. I am OK with benching both and promoting/activating other younger players. Phillips might need a week off and Murphy you probably should just cut.

Sheesh, some of y'all "fans" that really "love" this team sure have a lot of disparaging things to say about other human beings that are infinitely more athletically gifted than anyone posting here. I see crap like "worthless" or "waste of space/money" or "absolutely awful" or "putrid" or whatever other colorful terms you Rhodes scholars can come up with. It's one thing to criticize a guy and just say, "Yeah, he hasn't been playing very well" but the insults are just bullcrap, grow up. 

• Thank you (+1) 4

17 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Recovered from the injury is not at all the same as being in top game shape, I would have thought anyone who knows something about sport injury would understand that, but I guess not... 

Go Bills!!!

I never claimed to know anything about sports injury but if the defense of Harrison is "well he was injured 13 months ago, he may never get better!" then yeah we should probably be looking elsewhere. 

Hindsight is obviously 20/20 but given what we invested in our D Line this past off season it looks we should have made a better effort to keep Jordan and Shaq. Neither one of them broke the bank and we could have made some wiggle room with releasing Trent etc etc. I'm not saying they were world beaters but, they were better and were also vocal locker room leaders. I didn't cry about these moves at the time but perhaps I should have. 😔

2 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Sheesh, some of y'all "fans" that really "love" this team sure have a lot of disparaging things to say about other human beings that are infinitely more athletically gifted than anyone posting here. I see crap like "worthless" or "waste of space/money" or "absolutely awful" or "putrid" or whatever other colorful terms you Rhodes scholars can come up with. It's one thing to criticize a guy and just say, "Yeah, he hasn't been playing very well" but the insults are just bullcrap, grow up. 

This forum may be a bit much for you

Just now, Penfield45 said:

We need to replace both DE's next season.

Draft a guy round 1 or 2 and sign 2 other FA's or make a trade. 

an elite LB and pass rusher is what this defense needs. 

Looking at the D-line I can definitely say that DE is a pressing need. As far as DT goes I think getting Star back and dumping Butler would help and maybe the team can get Phillips back to full strength. As far as DE, Murphy is as good as gone and I think they will ask Hughes (barring a better performance the rest of the season) to take a pay cut. I would still want Hughes on the team for one more season as a rotational player and for the locker room but he will have to take a pay cut as he just isn't worth what he is owed next season. I like what Addision has brought as a supplemental pass rusher, he just can't be the sole main pass rusher on the team, he is roughly on pace for 7.5 sacks. 

The way I look at the D-line next season.

Definitely brining back - Ed Oliver, Star, Jefferson, Addision, and AJ

Not retained - Butler and Murphy

Retained if a pay cut is taken - Hughes 

Retained but on the bubble - Phillips and Johnson 

That's about 5 players who are firmly back on the line in some role whereas there are 2-3 more who will be on the bubble or asked to take a pay cut. 

1 minute ago, babulator said:

Hindsight is obviously 20/20 but given what we invested in our D Line this past off season it looks we should have made a better effort to keep Jordan and Shaq. Neither one of them broke the bank and we could have made some wiggle room with releasing Trent etc etc. I'm not saying they were world beaters but, they were better and were also vocal locker room leaders. I didn't cry about these moves at the time but perhaps I should have. 😔

I didn't like letting them go but said "In Beane We Trust"

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

so far the only source is this NFL-N Tom Pelissaro guy,

"This NFL-N Tom Pelissaro guy" is as connected as anyone and not a "clickbait" artist.  No reason to discredit the report whatsoever.  I mean, the inactives come out in 45 minutes!

3 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I can get behind this. 

Fans will be fans, but the lack of feel is comical. Sometimes I feel like I come here more for a laugh from the hot takes of former JV HS football players with no concept of the day to day in professional sports. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

I never claimed to know anything about sports injury but if the defense of Harrison is "well he was injured 13 months ago, he may never get better!" then yeah we should probably be looking elsewhere. 

Whatever...

5 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

This.  Thank you. 

1 minute ago, babulator said:

Honestly the players they brought in to replace Jordan and Shaq aren't the issue (Addision and Jefferson) and Shaq and Jordan aren't having great seasons in their new teams either. The issue is age is catching up to Hughes, Henry hasn't been good (seems to me like he hasn't recovered from his injury), Butler has stunk and Ed Oliver hasn't taken that next step up just yet. 

It's more so on the existing players than on the guys that replaced Shaq and Jordan Phillips in my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1