Trent Murphy and Harrison Phillips benched for Chiefs game

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

The younger player thing seeems like a nod to Epenesa and maybe Johnson..

Also, don't expect this to be the end for Harry. For one, I expect he'll improve as he recovers, and for two, he seems like the kind to be motivated by something like this. 

Recovers?  Hasn't it been a year? 

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I could see that. Is he a bigger DT? Sorry if i Can’t remember 

I don't think he's huge - maybe 6'3" and somewhere close to 305, give or take a few pounds.  He's got some wheels though.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Losing Star, Shaq and Phillips this past offseason has created a lack of physicality with our DL. Hughes and Murphy are not physical enough at setting the edge and Harrison creates no push up the middle. Outside of Oliver there is no need to double team anyone on our DL. This allows the TE and RB’s to slide out as our front four can’t bring consistent pressure.

Add in that our LB core is about more finesse and speed than physicality and you can see why we have defensive issues this year. IMO, our front seven is sorely lacking in difference makers who can impact a game.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I told everyone on this site that Murphy should have been cut and was a big 10 million waste,  i would cut him and move.  Worse contract in the NFL ,  10 milion for a player who should be making vet min.  

Right. You’re so intuitive.

Where would we be without you?🤦‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, High Football IQ said:

Folks need to get over the obsession with Harrison.

Sure the Xmas video with Kyle Williams was cute but this guy is no Kyle Williams and hasn't really done much in Buffalo and it's simply a fallacy that he was playing 'great' last year in the first few games of the season before the season ending injury.

At the end of the day he's just another undersized, average at best depth guy that can and will easily be replaced next year. In fact the smart move would have been to keep Vincent Taylor but obviously this regime gave Harrison the benefit of the doubt being a former draft pick and coming off major injury.

Well no, he actually WAS playing pretty good last year before the injury. Not sure I would say great, though.

But if he isn't playing well right NOW, that's the most important thing. You have to do what you need to win games.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

Folks need to get over the obsession with Harrison.

Sure the Xmas video with Kyle Williams was cute but this guy is no Kyle Williams and hasn't really done much in Buffalo and it's simply a fallacy that he was playing 'great' last year in the first few games of the season before the season ending injury.

At the end of the day he's just another undersized, average at best depth guy that can and will easily be replaced next year. In fact the smart move would have been to keep Vincent Taylor but obviously this regime gave Harrison the benefit of the doubt being a former draft pick and coming off major injury.

Thanks Low IQ guy..

• Haha (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Process said:

Wow. I like it. Mostly because they had to do SOMETHING. 

Phillips has been really, really bad. DT will be a major need this off-season. 

If Star returns next year that will help quite a bit but adding another wouldn't hurt since don't see us re-signing Butler. 

Edited by The Jokeman

Just now, TFBillsfan said:

Losing Star, Shaq and Phillips this past offseason has created a lack of physicality with our DL. Hughes and Murphy are not physical enough at setting the edge and Harrison creates no push up the middle. Outside of Oliver there is no need to double team anyone on our DL. This allows the TE and RB’s to slide out as our front four can’t bring consistent pressure.

Add in that our LB core is about more finesse and speed than physicality and you can see why we have defensive issues this year. IMO, our front seven is sorely lacking in difference makers who can impact a game.

Thats also a lot of your rotation.  Plugging 1 player into a rotation is one thing - now you have all these changes

Addison and Hughes play the same side - 1 will play out of position no matter what on passing downs.

Oliver is still the primary 3T still - but the 1T is phillips or jefferson. Jefferson would be out of position there on rushing downs. 

Jefferson may also rotate at DE with addison and hughes.  Lot on that guys plate.  Epenesa stepping up could give Hughes and addison some breathers, while also giving hughes some snaps on his natural side.

Butler should be a rotational 3T but they are likely to have to play him at 1T since Phillips has struggled so badly.

So even with new faces, its just a lot of turnover.  No preseason, fewer practices.