Did Kim Jones of NFLN question our DL's manhood?

I want to go out and punch someone after watching them the last few weeks and im not even on the DL. Those guys have to be pissed, and hope they show it tonight. Id rather an emotional personal foul penalty at this point then another damn mental Offside. Show we have a pulse for once. Where the f you been Jerry!

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Bills D under Frazier and McDermott has always had a personality.

I liken it to the personality of a sopping wet washcloth flung over your face with a scorpion somewhere in the room. 

Wait, wait, hear me out.   There's a reason waterboarding is a Thing.

The problem with a sopping wet washcloth over your face is that it's incredibly hard to breathe through it.  That's what the Bills D is designed to do - seal over the opponent's offense and make it difficult to do anything much, while clouding your vision so you stumble into the scorpion that can leap up for the take away or sack and sting you

Only this year so far, the scorpion hasn't been in the room an the washcloth is only damp.

I have hear some football analogies in my time Hap.... but this one is something else.... :lol:

• Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No I don't think they do, but the reality is they have been a scheme defense built on their coverage rather than a physical defense built on smashing people in the mouth since McDermott has been here. I don't know if you call that finesse or whatever but it has been more about assignment sound football than physical dominance.

Totally agree.  

They also held Henry to 84 yds on 25 carries.  We're not as well positioned as our philosophy needs.  We have gotten timely stops, which is also another calling card, just not against the Titans.

I'm fine with the question.  We knew going into the Titans game that the Titans are as physical as any team in the league, and they showed it in the game.  Buffalo didn't measure up and both players and coaches needed to ask themselves if they are going to accept the disparity of physicality or do something about it.  That's what Kim's question was getting at.   I'm not going to dis anyone named Jones.  LOL 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Do you think Frazier, McDermott and the Bills see themselves as a "finesse" defense?

Do you think Donte Whitner considered himself a replacement level safety who made up for being wildly over drafted with a manufactured fake swagger and a truly cringey social media presence?  I don't either.  Some people only see what they want to see.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Do you think Donte Whitner considered himself a replacement level safety who made up for being wildly over drafted with a manufactured fake swagger and a truly cringey social media presence?  I don't either.  Some people only see what they want to see.

Poor Lil' Donte.

2 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

I think with 4 new pieces to the puzzle it will take time to gel.

I thought they did a good job on Tractor Henry last week.

CEH is runt by comparison and Shady hasn't lost a step.....he has lost two  ;).

I figure Bell will be inactive this week. 

Shadys in TB

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Bills D under Frazier and McDermott has always had a personality.

I liken it to the personality of a sopping wet washcloth flung over your face with a scorpion somewhere in the room. 

Wait, wait, hear me out.   There's a reason waterboarding is a Thing.

The problem with a sopping wet washcloth over your face is that it's incredibly hard to breathe through it.  That's what the Bills D is designed to do - seal over the opponent's offense and make it difficult to do anything much, while clouding your vision so you stumble into the scorpion that can leap up for the take away or sack and sting you

Only this year so far, the scorpion hasn't been in the room an the washcloth is only damp.

thats some beautiful prose HBF

3 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Im just going off memory on this one but I thought Harrison was a very good NT/DT in college. He was able to shed blockers for a ton of tackles and TFL's. He used to be very hard to move off the LOS and his power in his legs and upper body is close to elite. I'm hoping he can flick a switch and get back to doing what he does best.

Harrison drew a lot of comparisons to Kyle Williams. Neither would be great fits at nose taking on doubles, but have high engines and could excel inside shedding the 1-on-1 blocks. 

His fit is spelling Oliver's role in the rotation to the left or right of the 4-3 nose (shading the center).

I have seen them play him at 1-tech and he has been blown off his spot - badly.

Kim evidently has just not been satisfied by our guys, I believe  better technique is in order by our guys so as that Kim will reach the needed point of satisfaction, and then both Kim and our guys will in the end be as aforementioned, satisfied. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I think that's an old school mentality. Aaron Donald is pretty soft spoken and cerebral. He just also happens to be a freak of nature that can throw guys around. He isn't a "nasty" football player at all.

Just get the job done however necessary. If you need to get "nasty" to do it, fine, but don't bring penalties when you do it.

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Is there another way to take that than fundamentally questioning the Football Manhood of the players on our DL?  "Hey Phillips, are you and the rest of the Bills DL actually tough enough to be an NFL defensive line?  Can you actually bring the Nasty?"

I mean, WTF, what is Harry supposed to say to that?

Is it a valid question? Because I've been watching and it seems like a valid question. I don't see much nastiness on the Dline.

49 minutes ago, MJS said:

I think that's an old school mentality. Aaron Donald is pretty soft spoken and cerebral. He just also happens to be a freak of nature that can throw guys around. He isn't a "nasty" football player at all.

Just get the job done however necessary. If you need to get "nasty" to do it, fine, but don't bring penalties when you do it.

I have known quite a few players at different levels that are like this.

Incredibly soft-spoken, many far more intellectual than the stereotype projects, but they had a switch, alter-ego, or game face; whatever you want to call it.

There are reasons folks don't normally interview these guys right before a game.

Most are in their zone and are like a different person when it is time to go.

But yeah, I listened to that interview and felt like she was asking if they had any balls.

Had to sting a bit.

Honestly I am shocked that the D-line has been at best inconsistent this season. The D-line rolls 9 deep with quality starting players but yet lacks that elite player that could set the tone for the game. I thought Ed Oliver could be that player but he hasn't taken that next step. 

I have even liked what Addision and Q.Jefferson have brought to the team so it isn't like the new additions are playing worse than Shaq and Phillips were last year. It is just that Oliver hasn't taken that step up, Hughes's age might be catching up to him, Harry's injury might still not have him at 100% and Murphy/AJ are more in line with rotational players at this point. 

If there is one big addition this team should go out and make I would say it should be at DE. Not sure who would be out there on the trade market but if this team can find a big time pass rusher at DE it could prove to be that final piece this team needs to fix the defense. Yes I am not thrilled about the CB position beyond Tre or the TE position but the CB's outside of Tre are fine if there is a better pass rush and the TE position is masked by having 4 good WR's. 

Looking at the trade market I would say that Yannick sitting on a bad Minny team with a one year deal is ripe for a trade. I would easily offer Minnesota a 2nd round pick and a 6th for him. The team could trade back Murphy or cut Murphy to ease the cap hit to basically be fairly minimal. Minny would get back the 2nd they paid for him plus a late rounder.

Other than Yannick I don't see where a big trade could happen at DE, Aldon Smith could maybe be had cheaper but Dallas sadly is still in their divisional hunt.