Did Kim Jones of NFLN question our DL's manhood?

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

The Jets have a fire sale going on, but I cannot see them trading within our division.

If the Bills see a player they want who may be available they can look for a friendly 3rd party to trade for player and then Bills trade that team future picks and/or players. 

This crossed my mind last week thinking about J. Phillips's and Lawson's forgot spat with Lewan last year.  Did the Bills brass underrate the energy they brought to the team (especially Phillips)? The analytics say they weren't worth how much they got paid for but maybe we should've bit the bullet and resign one of them. It's obvious we need somebody needs to step up to fill that leadership void.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Do you think Frazier, McDermott and the Bills see themselves as a "finesse" defense?

No I don't think they do, but the reality is they have been a scheme defense built on their coverage rather than a physical defense built on smashing people in the mouth since McDermott has been here. I don't know if you call that finesse or whatever but it has been more about assignment sound football than physical dominance.

2 hours ago, WideNine said:

They are really missing that 1-tech defensive tackle that forces the G-C double team w/o giving up too much ground freeing up our other interior DT; Star filled that role last year most of the time. That position really is key to how Sean likes to use his front 4.

That 1-tech is not Harrison or Oliver; They are not really built to take on double teams. Still teams have been able to double-team Oliver a lot and that is just a reflection of that lack of a 4-3 NT who would normally demand that attention.

Not sure if Beane will consider a trade for someone like the Saints Rankins (could fit the bill, but has some injury history) or they just ride this out and hope for the best and target big-bodied 1-tech DT in the draft - someone like Kentucky's Quinton Bohanna. Although not sure if his knee injury is serious....tough to be an NFL personnel guy these days. The Jets have a fire sale going on, but I cannot see them trading within our division.

Not sure Rankins is that natural 1 tech either. He is more like Vernon Butler. He has done it but he is a smaller guy who really wants to play 3 tech. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don’t get wrapped around the axle over these questions (not directed at you Hap), just blow it off.  Could she have been a little more tactful, yes, but she knows asking in this manner gets her a little more publicity or clicks.  Generally, I’ve thought she does a decent job on NFLN, and probably was looking for a sound bite.

Those that said, show it on the field today are right.  Let the team’s actions do all the talking.  This morning, people are giving a lot of love to the Bucs, Steelers, and Titans.  The Bills win convincingly today, and they will be the highlight tomorrow.  🤞

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Do you think Frazier, McDermott and the Bills see themselves as a "finesse" defense?

Dolphins, Rams and Titans questioned their manhood, so... why not?

they aren't nasty, not finesse.  what's left?

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

Think this was her way of firing up our defense as much praise as she's been singing about this team

Could be . 

I think she's a closet Bill's fan . I think she had a few games with us and realized that something special was brewing.  I always see her mention Buffalo on Twitter and she sounds like a fan alot of the time. 

Great reporter and great question.  I wouldn't be surprised if you're correct , as an unbiased way to give the D a little extra juice

I think with 4 new pieces to the puzzle it will take time to gel.

I thought they did a good job on Tractor Henry last week.

CEH is runt by comparison and Shady hasn't lost a step.....he has lost two  ;).

I figure Bell will be inactive this week. 

34 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Could be . 

I think she's a closet Bill's fan . I think she had a few games with us and realized that something special was brewing.  I always see her mention Buffalo on Twitter and she sounds like a fan alot of the time. 

Great reporter and great question.  I wouldn't be surprised if you're correct , as an unbiased way to give the D a little extra juice

Yeah, before the season began, she was all in on this team. But like the rest of us here, she's been asking the same question. WTF happened to this defense?! No one, Bills fan or not, saw this coming. Allen's jump pales in comparison

7 hours ago, WideNine said:

They are really missing that 1-tech defensive tackle that forces the G-C double team w/o giving up too much ground freeing up our other interior DT; Star filled that role last year most of the time. That position really is key to how Sean likes to use his front 4.

That 1-tech is not Harrison or Oliver; They are not really built to take on double teams. Still teams have been able to double-team Oliver a lot and that is just a reflection of that lack of a 4-3 NT who would normally demand that attention.

Not sure if Beane will consider a trade for someone like the Saints Rankins (could fit the bill, but has some injury history) or they just ride this out and hope for the best and target big-bodied 1-tech DT in the draft - someone like Kentucky's Quinton Bohanna. Although not sure if his knee injury is serious....tough to be an NFL personnel guy these days. The Jets have a fire sale going on, but I cannot see them trading within our division.

Im just going off memory on this one but I thought Harrison was a very good NT/DT in college. He was able to shed blockers for a ton of tackles and TFL's. He used to be very hard to move off the LOS and his power in his legs and upper body is close to elite. I'm hoping he can flick a switch and get back to doing what he does best.

13 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

I think with 4 new pieces to the puzzle it will take time to gel.

I thought they did a good job on Tractor Henry last week.

CEH is runt by comparison and Shady hasn't lost a step.....he has lost two  ;).

I figure Bell will be inactive this week. 

And he played for Tampa last night. Add in the sexy party until the early hours and he'll be at best 50/50 for tonight. 

Edited by BritBill
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

As I give it a bit of thought, I do think they feel that they are a finesse defense over all, which is fine to some extent, but the D line itself needs to dominate and that imo is,  mean nasty SOBs, that play with finesse jmo...

Go Bills!!!

10 hours ago, TonyBeets said:

You having a problem with this is a bit cringey.  It was a question, he answered.  Fans always take things much more personal than players.  

I'm just curious as to the source of your knowledge on how "fans always" and by implication "players always" take things? 

I personally don't presume to speak for how fans in general always take things, much less players

Over my years of fandom, I've been surprised many a time at how a player will tell the media there was hella disrespect in something that an opponent said or did and "it really fired us up" and I'm like "whoa, really?" because it seems to me like a nothing-burger.  This seemed like far more of a "something burger"

I'm not "taking it personal" in that I'm not personally offended by the question if my interpretation is right.  As others have pointed out, our DL has not "shown up" consistently and it shows in the overall defensive results, so Fair Game.  I just thought it was kind of bold to go from their results in 5 games to basically "are you guys nasty enough to bring decent NFL line play?"

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

I feel Kim Jones is the best reporter on NFLN.  I love the question and I think that it might actually have an impact on our DL.  Time to step up

I'd agree, she really does understand the little details and how they fit into the bigger picture. Take today when she was talking Matt Milano. A lot of reporters will say he's one of their best linebackers, but she pointed out that versatility means that Fraizer won't have to switch up personnel as much between downs.

1 hour ago, dorquemada said:

They just dont have a personality.  Unless 'Generic underwhelming and non-physical defense that bends then breaks' is a personality

Just remember that tonight is not the season

The Bills D under Frazier and McDermott has always had a personality.

I liken it to the personality of a sopping wet washcloth flung over your face with a scorpion somewhere in the room. 

Wait, wait, hear me out.   There's a reason waterboarding is a Thing.

The problem with a sopping wet washcloth over your face is that it's incredibly hard to breathe through it.  That's what the Bills D is designed to do - seal over the opponent's offense and make it difficult to do anything much, while clouding your vision so you stumble into the scorpion that can leap up for the take away or sack and sting you

Only this year so far, the scorpion hasn't been in the room an the washcloth is only damp.

• Haha (+1) 1