Did Kim Jones of NFLN question our DL's manhood?

I brought this up in the Week 6 KC at Bills thread, but the more I think of it, the more it drops my jaw, so I thought it deserved a closer look by the Hive Mind here.

We all know our DL has struggled, but in a post-practice press availability, Kim Jones of NFL Network seemed to fundamentally question the Manhood of our guys!

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/harrison-phillips-pressure-comes-in-bunches  2:35 into the interview Kim Jones from NFL-network asks Horrible Harry, "are you guys Nasty enough? ....I mean, the great DLs I've covered have all, Game day at least, they're pretty tough SOBs"

Phillips says "I would say that everyone's got a switch, without question" 

"And you have that? You're convinced?" 

HH: "Uh huh"

Is there another way to take that than fundamentally questioning the Football Manhood of the players on our DL?  "Hey Phillips, are you and the rest of the Bills DL actually tough enough to be an NFL defensive line?  Can you actually bring the Nasty?"

I mean, WTF, what is Harry supposed to say to that?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I brought this up in the Week 6 KC at Bills thread, but the more I think of it, the more it drops my jaw, so I thought it deserved a closer look by the Hive Mind here.

We all know our DL has struggled, but in a post-practice press availability, Kim Jones of NFL Network seemed to fundamentally question the Manhood of our guys!

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/harrison-phillips-pressure-comes-in-bunches  2:35 into the interview Kim Jones from NFL-network asks Horrible Harry, "are you guys Nasty enough? ....I mean, the great DLs I've covered have all, Game day at least, they're pretty tough SOBs"

Is there another way to take that than fundamentally questioning the Football Manhood of the players on our DL?  "Hey Phillips, are you and the rest of the Bills DL actually tough enough to be an NFL defensive line?  Can you actually bring the Nasty?"

I'm not sure why you're so focused on this, Hap, is it not fair to ask whether they're nasty enough? Tony Dungy's Colts defenses always fielded questions about their being a "finesse" defense.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

I'm not sure why you're so focused on this, Hap, is it not fair to ask whether they're nasty enough? Tony Dungy's Colts defenses always fielded questions about their being a "finesse" defense.

Do you think Frazier, McDermott and the Bills see themselves as a "finesse" defense?

4 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

Think this was her way of firing up our defense as much praise as she's been singing about this team

I agree...it’s almost like she’s complimenting the offense, by not questioning them, insinuating that they are holding up their end of the bargain for a championship run...but is the defense capable of doing the same?

Thats how I took it, anyway...

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You having a problem with this is a bit cringey.  It was a question, he answered.  Fans always take things much more personal than players.  

Edited by TonyBeets
  • Like (+1) 1

I love this happened and hope it somehow has a positive effect on the guys just because I want us to be great like any other fan...I guess whatever works. BUT honestly if it did impact them in any recognizable way, which I doubt, that would be very very sad and discouraging.

When you are putting below average play on tape, that should be enough motivation to do better. If some comments by a reporter is more motivation than watching your collective sub par play in Monday meetings...thats a damn shame.

Again, I don't believe this to be anywhere near the case.

They are really missing that 1-tech defensive tackle that forces the G-C double team w/o giving up too much ground freeing up our other interior DT; Star filled that role last year most of the time. That position really is key to how Sean likes to use his front 4.

That 1-tech is not Harrison or Oliver; They are not really built to take on double teams. Still teams have been able to double-team Oliver a lot and that is just a reflection of that lack of a 4-3 NT who would normally demand that attention.

Not sure if Beane will consider a trade for someone like the Saints Rankins (could fit the bill, but has some injury history) or they just ride this out and hope for the best and target big-bodied 1-tech DT in the draft - someone like Kentucky's Quinton Bohanna. Although not sure if his knee injury is serious....tough to be an NFL personnel guy these days. The Jets have a fire sale going on, but I cannot see them trading within our division.