Watching league wide LB play today really exposing how weak Bills are at that position

12 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Milano has been great in coverage and Dosdon has been decent despite the lack of pass rush. I'm pretty sure Edmunds and Klein have just been bad.

oh sorry Lorenzo, your assertions on linebacker play are delegitimized because you played for the Bills and therefore deemed to be a propaganda machine.

‘Not different between Matt a Tremaine positions fundamentally?’... hah, that’s what they want us to think. 🙃 

13 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Agreed. Watching TB/GB and asking myself “why can’t the Bills have that Buc linebacker #54 on their roster?”

Yeah, I mean he has been known to be pushed around at point of attack and has troubles getting off blocks, but sideline to sideline he’s great. I wonder why they have him at Mike? 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Bills Juggernaut said:

People keeping saying we can't afford Milano. Every game he misses this year is costing him money on his next contact. Nobody is giving top dollar to a player who can't stay on the field. The question will be whether the Bills will pay decent money for a LB that will miss 3-4 games a season. 

His price would be going down for a reason in this scenario, because he can’t stay consistently healthy. We don’t need that. what I would rather see if the Bills identify a LB to replace Milano in the draft. I am sure they can find a guy in the first three rounds with comparable ability that won’t show signs of physical limitations by his fourth year. 

The problem stems from a bunch of our starting players being injured Milano, Levy, White, Edmunds, and Norman etc, missing a handful of games, and or playing injured, and those players backups are not bringing the level of play needed. The D line needs those guys to fill the gaps so to speak, those two elements need each other to be able to effect their opponents overall play and that ain’t happening right now, with better health and better schemes it will get better, have faith.

The hot takes in this thread are amusing, you guys just never stop with your blinder view of why things happen the way they do, I’m just happy None of you make decisions regarding the team, you goofballs would cut everyone at some point or another....

Go Bills!!!

14 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Detroit Jarrod Davis, 3 from Pittsburg, Atl Dion Jones.....etc.....

I agree the Dline is a huge letdown as well, make no mistake on that as well.

Have watched 3 Baltimore games this year and their rookie LB Queen is all over the field making plays everywhere. He's already better than our guy after 5 games.

29 minutes ago, Big Gun said:

Have watched 3 Baltimore games this year and their rookie LB Queen is all over the field making plays everywhere. He's already better than our guy after 5 games.

Queen was a beast in college. Im not surprised. Not sure how these great LBs keep falling in draft every year. Guess thats good for us if we are drafting late next year. :)

1 hour ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Queen was a beast in college. Im not surprised. Not sure how these great LBs keep falling in draft every year. Guess thats good for us if we are drafting late next year. :)

We don't know where we will be drafting yet. But if our defense continues to be as they have, it won't be that late.

2 hours ago, Big Gun said:

2 hours ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Not denying he hasn’t played well, he definitely has, but it does also come back to the big discussion in this thread-would he be playing so well without a great defensive line in front of him?

• Like (+1) 1

They made a choice to shore up other areas including special teams.  I thought the LB unit was the weakest link on the defense.  I expect in the off season this is will be upgraded through the draft.  Need a healthy Milano out on the field.  Edmunds will have his hands full tonight.  

18 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

It's the front 4 that's killing this D. The LBs are being exposed because our D linemen and lack of pass rush. These guys just can't get to the QB and Hughes has been non existent all season.

The irony is we just expended the 9th overall pick on a freaking defensive tackle and yet we still have this problem.

Its really a combination of what everyone is saying:

-Philips is still not back to where you need him, Hughes is another year on the wrong side of his prime..and they miss Star in the rotations.  All that equals worse DL play overall.

-Edmunds is playing somewhat hurt...Milano is not playing much and when he is...he is playing hurt and less than 100%.

Put BOTH of those things together, and you get what looks to be worse LB play.

The solution is apparent....Star gets back and plays well...your LB's heal and can be on the field and be 100%.....and most importantly...the single thing this D-unit needs next year is an impact DE to replace Hughes.  Not easy to do all that...but that gets you back to where you want to be.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The irony is we just expended the 9th overall pick on a freaking defensive tackle and yet we still have this problem.

I'm less disappointed in Oliver as I am Hughes and Murphy. Oliver is playing hurt and getting double teamed often. Hughes seems like he's still trying to perfect his spin move as he keeps getting pushed away from the play. And Murphy's great at clean up duty when the oppositions play breaks down.  Two guys just collecting a check at this point.

15 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

This just in, good / great football teams make plays. The opposition on the other hand looks bad. I think the truth is somewhere in the middle in Edmunds and Milano. (Love them both)

Myself personally, Buffalo has faced some very talented offensive power houses in the run and passing game. Some of the best offensive teams in football IMO.

Building up to the climax today. 

Edited by Figster

On the eyeball test I would actually say the lack of pass rush and poor D-line play is what contributed to the bad defensive stretches. The Miami game was the only game where bad LB play was exposed and that was due to playing two backups there. I think that when the D-line is winning you see much better play from the rest of the defense. The LB play when Milano and Edumonds are in is actually good. Yes Edumonds could hit some holes better but I think that issue gets overstated. Edumonds looked below average last year in the middle of the season when the rush defense was getting gashed due to bad D-line play. Then the D-line plays better and Edumonds looks like an All-Pro. 

It's on the D-line to improve the play of the defense, they have to win the one on one battles. This team is 20th in sacks and probably around that in other pass rush metrics. I would also say that the run defense is below average as well. Right now this team's most glaring need is a pass rusher. I think against the Raiders and Titans the run defense was pretty effective but the pass rush is holding the LB's and Secondary out to dry. 

Right now as far as getting more of a pass rush going the guys on the roster are going to have to just improve or there is going to have to be a big time trade to acquire that elite player that can set the tone for the defense. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

See, you're confusing your words there. He hasn't been objectively bad. That may be what you think, but that's precisely what makes it "subjective." If it was objective, absolutely nobody would disagree with you. And most of the world does, though the injury certainly has him playing more poorly than he did last year. Most of the world, including McDermott, Beane, Lorax, Jeremiah Sirles, and a host of people who know the situation an absolute ton better than you and I do completely disagree with you, and that does mean you're probably wrong.

And yes, Beane has misses. They all do, what with that "being human" thing. But so far his percentage is a lot higher than most. That's why they're 4-1 and a possible Super Bowl contender, something we haven't seen in decades.

Keep telling yourself we are a contender.

Why? Because we started 4 and 0? It does not matter how you start a season it matters how you finish it.

And yes Edmunds is OBJECTIVELY bad and a LOT of people are saying it. Not the guy who drafted him, the guy responisble for coaching him, or his LB teammate friend which is more like subjective biased homer opinions.