Running game Woes and its not on the RB's

BBills88

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Thanks for posting. As much as it shows Bills OL has work to do it shows how good Tenn D is. And also how poorly the Bills DL is playing compared to a well coached team.

Ethan, your so dramatic, you jump on board every thread that presents any aspect that the Bills are not totally dominant in game to game. Do you now consider Sean McDermott to be a bad coach when you were tooting his horn not so long ago along with these other doomsday profits? Is our personnel now lacking  talent that everyone was touting not so long ago?

Sure the loss sucks, but Its one loss, one,  in a long season, get yourself together man, nuthin but luv dude, but really? And that goes for the rest of the scared fans. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If we don’t start running the ball, defenses will continue to play 2 deep zone, taking away the crossing and deep routes like Tennessee did, forcing Josh to dink and dunk down the field.

If you start ramming to ball down their throat with the running game, one of those safeties will have to come closer to the box which will open up the back end.  

We need Feliciano’s attitude back on that line - Mongo sets the tone in the running game, Mongo smash.

8 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Ethan, your so dramatic, you jump on board every thread that presents any aspect that the Bills are not totally dominant in game to game. Do you now consider Sean McDermott to be a bad coach when you were tooting his horn not so long ago along with these other doomsday profits? Is our personnel now lacking  talent that everyone was touting not so long ago?

Sure the loss sucks, but Its one loss, one,  in a long season, get yourself together man, nuthin but luv dude, but really? And that goes for the rest of the scared fans. 

Go Bills!!!

I've been harping on the pass rush and the defense in general since the Houston collapse.  Nothing new.

Only 5 games played, plenty of time to turn it around. During McD's tenure his defense has been thrashed a game or two each season.  Baltimore, New Orleans, Houston and a few other games over the last several years.  He has had to take over playcalling at least once that we know of.  But the defense has bounced back.  He will need to do it with new faces.  Maybe a healthy White and a semi-healthy Milano will help.

17 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Thanks for posting. As much as it shows Bills OL has work to do it shows how good Tenn D is. And also how poorly the Bills DL is playing compared to a well coached team.

Well, you were half right.

Thinking a video can show something about which there's not a single frame on the film .... the Bills D ... is a classic case of thinking from what you already believe rather than what the evidence shows. 

Perfect example of confirmation bias. 

The video did show a lot about the Bills offense, though.

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I've been harping on the pass rush and the defense in general since the Houston collapse.  Nothing new.

Only 5 games played, plenty of time to turn it around. During McD's tenure his defense has been thrashed a game or two each season.  Baltimore, New Orleans, Houston and a few other games over the last several years.  He has had to take over playcalling at least once that we know of.  But the defense has bounced back.  He will need to do it with new faces.  Maybe a healthy White and a semi-healthy Milano will help.

More confirmation bias.

"I've been harping on it." So it's proven. No, the defense has been consistently excellent through McDermott's term. They've been thrashed a game or two each season? Hey, fair enough. But that's what happens. Go back and look at the '85 Bears.

They allowed and 38 points to the Dolphins and 28 points to the 2-14 Bucs. Every team and unit has a bad game or two. It's just a function of variability.

The rest of your post makes total sense, though. You're right that the current state of affairs is concerning. But so far, that's all it is.

Edited by Thurman#1

8 hours ago, Mc1320 said:

If we don’t start running the ball, defenses will continue to play 2 deep zone, taking away the crossing and deep routes like Tennessee did, forcing Josh to dink and dunk down the field.

If you start ramming to ball down their throat with the running game, one of those safeties will have to come closer to the box which will open up the back end.  

We need Feliciano’s attitude back on that line - Mongo sets the tone in the running game, Mongo smash.

Yeah, I'm hoping Feliciano makes a real difference. Their pass blocking has been pretty good. But the run blocking less so, to these eyes anyway.

14 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I very much doubt that Feliciano will supplant Ford, or Spain, or Winters at guard. If anything, he should replace either Boettger, or possibly Bates as backup C/G. But, Ford, Spain, and Winters have all played better than him, IMO.

You may be right, but the media that were able to watch practices we couldn't see and they seem mostly to expect Feliciano to take over from Winters at RG.

We'll see.

Edited by Thurman#1

I have hated not having a FB all year. There are so many extra guys carried on game day for incredibly specialized ST roles. Nobody ever complains about them. But a FB can really help you out and allows you to run the ball a lot more consistently...but everyone complains that it’s a waste. Demarco was a target on here constantly but the guy was pretty solid. I was very concerned about our running game once I realized we had no FB. Now it’s week 6 and we are trying to run out of 11 personnel. It just doesn’t work. It’s dumb. Have a guy that can play FB (active) so we can run it, even if a team knows we are running it. At this point I feel like Knox would be best served as a FB. It’s another way to get the ball in his hands and you can give it to him without him having to catch it.  The guy is struggling at TE. He hands are questionable at best. But once he has the ball, he’s an effective runner. Him playing a FB/Hback role would allow us to hand it off to him or toss it short. It gives us a whole other element to the run and pass game. Also it allows for a better TE to step in. I think it’s a move that can help everyone on the offense. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Thanks for the video!

Be interesting to know with more sample size on the run game to see if the guards are as bad as this video is showing.  If so it is hard for me to think Spain was playing bad enough that he is not a better answer than Winters/Ford combo as this video in its small size paints a bad picture.  

It could also be that the Bills are basically saying we will take the loss form bad run blocking by Winters/Ford for the benefits they are providing in pass protection. 

Both our OL and DL need work. Morse  is OK. Dawkins is barely above average and Williams has been very good. Both Guard spots need upgrades. I'd start Winters and Spain at RG and LG. Ford is a real disappointment so far. I hope he can pick it up.

We are not multiple enough , we are running 4 wide too much and teams are figuring it out. We need a blocking back who can also make plays as well as a TE and then actually use them. Also our Oline is not great at run blocking ( not good at picking up the blitz either) its really been an issue the whole time McBeane have been here.

On 10/17/2020 at 1:50 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

We are well coached we just dont have the talent on both sides of the ball.

On 10/18/2020 at 9:50 AM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I have hated not having a FB all year. There are so many extra guys carried on game day for incredibly specialized ST roles. Nobody ever complains about them. But a FB can really help you out and allows you to run the ball a lot more consistently...but everyone complains that it’s a waste. Demarco was a target on here constantly but the guy was pretty solid. I was very concerned about our running game once I realized we had no FB. Now it’s week 6 and we are trying to run out of 11 personnel. It just doesn’t work. It’s dumb. Have a guy that can play FB (active) so we can run it, even if a team knows we are running it. At this point I feel like Knox would be best served as a FB. It’s another way to get the ball in his hands and you can give it to him without him having to catch it.  The guy is struggling at TE. He hands are questionable at best. But once he has the ball, he’s an effective runner. Him playing a FB/Hback role would allow us to hand it off to him or toss it short. It gives us a whole other element to the run and pass game. Also it allows for a better TE to step in. I think it’s a move that can help everyone on the offense. 

Not sure how knox would work but id give it a shot at this point, although his concussions are a concern.