Bortles or Barkley?

YoloinOhio

As of today, Barkley strictly because of him knowing the playbook and our offense much better than Blake would. I'd be surprised if the FO would dedicate a roster spot to him as our third QB (or outright replace Matt with him)

Also - please correct me if I'm wrong - but wasn't one of the bigger knocks on Bortles throughout his career his lack of commitment to working hard and lots of partying? On top of his horrid mechanics

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

Why. Not Fromme

Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme is still in jail for the attempted assassination of Gerald Ford, so she's not available and at age 71, probably past her prime.

Jake Fromm is still on the roster however and I agree with others who posted that since he's never taken a snap in an NFL game that is not a good plan. 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Every time I see Barkley on the sideline he’s always smiling. I’ve got to think he’s enjoying his current gig. Seems like an easy going kind of back up. I’ll bet he’s a blast in the locker room....and the coaches appreciate his positive attitude.

And he’s also good friends with Josh.  I think you retain him to keep your franchise QB happy, as long as there are no obvious alternatives.

2 hours ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

I had hopes for Davis Webb this year, after he played such a big roll in the offseason workouts. I've never seen him play (I tend to avoid pre-season games, when there are some). But he is Josh's size.

Any chance for promotion to QB2 for him?

No

Neither guy is going to play a perfect game to overcome this swiss cheese defense and lack of run game support so it doesn't really matter.  I take Barkley because he at least knows the offense.  I remember days when people were pounding the table for Barkley to play over Josh because of one Jets game.  Then he played a second game.  Bortles isn't any good either. 

If they wanted a solid backup they should have just brought Fitz back or gotten the Red Rifle.  Backup QBs are what they are across the league.  What they need is some defensive starters and to figure out how to run the football.  It's pretty disgusting that we faced two of the worst teams against the run and still haven't been able to run the football.  How would that be with any backup QB?

Edited by Scott7975

If the defense was near as good as past 2 years and could keep the team in games instead of being bottom-third of the league, I would be more interested in a better backup QB.  If this team doesn’t score 30, they don’t win - and even then it is no sure bet to win even when scoring 30.

The Bills really like Barkley as a backup QB.  I think that he does a good job supporting Josh as a #2 QB which is why they likely resigned him a few years back.  The Bills also love Davis Webb for the same reasons.

If Josh goes down for any amount of time I think it’s understood the season is screwed.  

What that being said, I do believe Barkley’s contract is up this year.  The team will likely resign Josh to a long term extension or atleast a 5th year extension. It does make me wonder if they look to bring in a veteran at QB2

12 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I feel like we have Fromm in isolation Incase if an injury. I think if Allen goes down, Barkley would finish that game. But Josh was out for the game all week, Fromm would start.

I think you’re forgetting about Davis Webb on the PS who’s been around the team for nearly 2 years.  I think he gets consideration along with Fromm to move up in the event of an Allen injury

15 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

The Bills really like Barkley as a backup QB.  I think that he does a good job supporting Josh as a #2 QB which is why they likely resigned him a few years back.  The Bills also love Davis Webb for the same reasons.

If Josh goes down for any amount of time I think it’s understood the season is screwed.  

What that being said, I do believe Barkley’s contract is up this year.  The team will likely resign Josh to a long term extension or atleast a 5th year extension. It does make me wonder if they look to bring in a veteran at QB2

I think you’re forgetting about Davis Webb on the PS who’s been around the team for nearly 2 years.  I think he gets consideration along with Fromm to move up in the event of an Allen injury

I do think Webb would play before Fromm