Bills have addressed slippery turf issue

YoloinOhio

21 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

It makes sense, every time they have to plow the field they lose some fill as it mixes in with the snow and the fill goes out with the snow in the dump truck. If it's not regularly refreshed it will get low.

to busy during the off seson to do this? 

On 10/17/2020 at 9:59 AM, YoloinOhio said:

The field has been slippery since they went to the field turf. Didn’t change with the new field either. The blades of “grass” arent rough enough to keep traction and when they get wet they’re extra slippery.

I was messing around kicking field goals after a very light rain and i looked like Charlie Brown when they yank the ball from him. 

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

If greenbay can do it so can we.

Green bay doesn't have grass in the winter. They have green painted dirt. The warming system doesn't make the grass grow it just keeps the ground from freezing rock hard.

Pittsburgh has grass, it's terrible after October and it just gets worse because the turf doesn't grow to self heal and you can't re-sod because the roots won't grow so it won't anchor.

Also the reality of orchard park is that field needs to be plowed routinely. Run that equipment over grass in November/December and see if you can play on it. Pittsburgh gets 40 inches a year. Green Bay gets 48. Cleveland gets 54. Orchard Park gets 114 inches. The stadium is also below grade and the whole stadium is built to drain into the bowl of the field so drainage for a natural turf field will be interesting. Especially on the sidelines.

It's not as easy as just saying I want grass.

6 hours ago, Chaos said:

to busy during the off seson to do this? 

Hey, I'm just explaining why it could be necessary. I'm not talking about who decides when it's necessary or who pays the bills when it's needed. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

How does the NFL not have a universal turf? Why are teams allowed to have different types of turf?

Because you need different solutions for different places. Bermuda grass grows really well in Florida. It doesn't grow well in the north and it goes dormant at the first bit of cold weather. Several teams have domes. You can't roll a grass field outside in Minnesota or Detroit after October. Growing grass fully inside hasn't gone well in several times it has been tried. 

13 hours ago, Back the Blue said:

So they put in new turf before last season, by a local company whose resumé is limited, and they are having problems with it?   Who would have guessed?

"A Turf" of Williamsville NY has got the bid through the county the last few seasons.  They aren't in any other NFL stadiums or major college programs.  Their claim to fame locally are the Bills, Niagara Falls HS and UB Stadium where the Bulls play.   

8 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Because you need different solutions for different places. Bermuda grass grows really well in Florida. It doesn't grow well in the north and it goes dormant at the first bit of cold weather. Several teams have domes. You can't roll a grass field outside in Minnesota or Detroit after October. Growing grass fully inside hasn't gone well in several times it has been tried. 

I meant more so, if teams want to use artifical turf why isn't there uniformity? I would think turf that is the same everywhere would be uniform.

17 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Green bay doesn't have grass in the winter. They have green painted dirt. The warming system doesn't make the grass grow it just keeps the ground from freezing rock hard.

Pittsburgh has grass, it's terrible after October and it just gets worse because the turf doesn't grow to self heal and you can't re-sod because the roots won't grow so it won't anchor.

Also the reality of orchard park is that field needs to be plowed routinely. Run that equipment over grass in November/December and see if you can play on it. Pittsburgh gets 40 inches a year. Green Bay gets 48. Cleveland gets 54. Orchard Park gets 114 inches. The stadium is also below grade and the whole stadium is built to drain into the bowl of the field so drainage for a natural turf field will be interesting. Especially on the sidelines.

It's not as easy as just saying I want grass.

Hey, I'm just explaining why it could be necessary. I'm not talking about who decides when it's necessary or who pays the bills when it's needed. 

University of Phoenix Stadium (Cardinals) has retractable grass that can be cared for between games.

Maybe something similar could happen for the Bills. Roll out the grass into a protected housing between games, then roll it back in for the game.