In a copy cat league...how does John Brown change what chiefs can do?

Hebert19

3 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

So.  Flip the question.  No sammy.  Missing their guard.   How do we replicate what raiders did to kC?

They would need to get pressure with 3-4 guys.  I don't really see that happening.  Mahomes and KC are going to get their points.  The question is can our offense keep up and can we win the mistake battle.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

They would need to get pressure with 3-4 guys.  I don't really see that happening.  Mahomes and KC are going to get their points.  The question is can our offense keep up and can we win the mistake battle.

I’m not sure the Raiders DL is any better than ours. I know the Bills haven’t affected the QB a ton but I think the raiders film might be very helpful 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not sure the Raiders DL is any better than ours. I know the Bills haven’t affected the QB a ton but I think the raiders film might be very helpful 

Ok let me clarify a little more... They need to be able to cover enough that Mahomes doesnt want to throw the ball right away and give our 3 to 4 guys time to get some penetration to make Mahomes move.  Afterwards they need to be able to contain.  This is pretty much what the Raiders did.  They gave Mahomes some looks and changed late to ones Mahomes doesn't like.  They covered well with 7-8 guys and it gave Mahomes fits.

While Mahomes is the best in the business, if you cover well the QB has to throw perfect balls.  No QB throws perfect balls all game long.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Ok let me clarify a little more... They need to be able to cover enough that Mahomes doesnt want to throw the ball right away and give our 3 to 4 guys time to get some penetration to make Mahomes move.  Afterwards they need to be able to contain.  This is pretty much what the Raiders did.  They gave Mahomes some looks and changed late to ones Mahomes doesn't like.  They covered well with 7-8 guys and it gave Mahomes fits.

While Mahomes is the best in the business, if you cover well the QB has to throw perfect balls.  No QB throws perfect balls all game long.

I mean, I guess our defense could put up a fight, it is the NFL — stranger things have happened.. But I expect the Chiefs to drop 42pts on us.. And the only problem is the Chiefs defense is a heckuva lot better than ours — meaning, not only will Allen have to out duel the reigning Super Bowl champ and best QB in the game but he’ll have to do so while playing against a much harder defense than the one Mahomes will have to face... Don’t see it happening. 

21 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

It’s Josh’s powerful arm and aggressiveness which makes our offense special. In those first four wins we weren’t exactly taking five to ten yard chunks so it’s a fine line in what you’re asking. I think we’re trying to make a unique and special offense that features Josh and with that growing pains are going to occur. I want to see Josh at his absolute best not a copy of some other QB.

If a defense is gearing up to stop downfield throws then Josh has to dink and dunk. If teams are going to respect you deep then you kill them down low. The fact that teams will respect Josh's deep ability so much already shows that the offense is special.

In fact if Josh and the offense sees that they are giving them the short stuff early in the game and Josh dinks and dunks his way to TD's and field goals the defense will then adjust to try and clamp down on the shorter stuff and then Josh can kill them in the deep game.

If a defense is going to make it easy for you then make it easy. 

If teams are going to play a deep zone against us it would be the perfect time to go to 4 WR sets and send all 4 20-25 yards downfield, that is when you have JA run the ball

When he's running, teams usually have a spy on him but LB's can't catch up to him and he's too big for DB's.

Take what they give you.

This season, I've found myself wishing our coaching staff would do more copycatting. Seem we are committed to doing what we do regardless of who we are playing. It worked out for the best in all but one game, so I openly admit (of course) that I know an immensely lot less than the coaches.

My examples include be running #17 more against that Raiders. Running more against the Raiders. Running more against the Rams. Running more against the Titans.

I know this thread is about defending our passing attack with and without John Brown. I don't think any defense can stop our passing attack when our top three receivers and #17 are healthy and on the field.

On 10/17/2020 at 10:39 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, one thing in the first half...there were times when the Titans were giving Josh's checkdown options SOoooooooOOoo freakin' much cushion that if he looked to them more, he could have had some big chunk plays.   Josh's known reluctance to take the checkdown must be part of the "book" on him around the league.  Knox went from the LOS 15 yds downfield on one play where Allen hit him.  There were a couple other plays where Josh did pull the trigger but he threw it flat and I'm pretty sure it was tipped.  There were more, especially early on, where he forced it rather than take the quick checkdown.  Hopefully that's a point of emphasis to him this week.

If KC does something similar and Josh sees those open guys and hits them accurately enough to allow YAC, they'll move out of their zone.  Teams change their plans PDQ when they're getting burned for 8-15 ypa.

I'm not great at this kind of analysis but I actually don't think the Titans had a spy on Josh a lot of the time.

Most of Diggs’s catches came as no was near him and he was stationary and waiting.  It was weird Defense.  They didn’t want to man him

On 10/17/2020 at 10:01 AM, Nextmanup said:

As you're saying, I think his value is in stretching the field and pushing the back of the D further away...opens up more space in shorter and interim route areas.

I can only imagine how much respect a DB has to give a guy with Brown's speed....one misstep and he's past you and you aren't going to be able to catch back up.  The FS has to keep an eye on him and respect his speed too.

Brown can improve our passing game without even catching a pass.

does and yes. Excellent Bills player.
hope his foot is getting right 

On 10/17/2020 at 5:21 PM, Hebert19 said:

So.  Flip the question.  No sammy.  Missing their guard.   How do we replicate what raiders did to kC?

Hope White is healthy and can keep up with Hill. Find a way to manage Kelce from killing you for chunk plays oh and stop their running attack. Not an easy task but if there was ever a time we need our running game to show up it's tonight as think long sustaining drives that lead to TDs can keep us in and possibly win the game. 

On 10/17/2020 at 11:11 AM, SCBills said:

Another piece of the puzzle is what we do on first/second down. 

Allen was constantly put in 2nd/3rd and long in this game due to our inability to get positive yardage on early down runs and the out of character penalties we dealt with all night.  

-No Smoke

-Playing from behind all game

-Allen’s unwillingness to check down

-Running game struggles

It was all a perfect storm, and we can normally overcome the meh running game, but when you take away Smoke and add in playing from behind, it just seemed to be the perfect storm for the Titans to execute a game plan that invited Allen to check down.  

The team was just off right from the beginning and in all 3 phases.  Whether it was them being unfocused, overconfident, the game being changed multiple times and not knowing who they were playing for a while, etc...doesn't matter, that was easily their worst game as a whole in a LONG LONG time...

Willing to bet they will regroup and come out looking much better tonight.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

With out our top three receivers playing, Diggs Brown and Beasley, we are back in the position we were in last season, and that was lacking the ability to spread defenses both vertically and horizontally in an effective fashion to benefit the passing game,  and the results speak for themselves. Ya can’t remove one of the gears from your transmission and expect your car to work well...

Go Bills!!!

22 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

John Brown always hated me. For what, I don't know.

Every time I plant the seed, he kill it before it grow... 

damn that John Brown... 

• Like (+1) 1

Certainly John Brown's contribution is part of what makes this offense special when living up to potential.  Not having him means a significant adjustment for Josh.  Still, Hapless also has a point.  Josh himself admitted he can be too greedy at times.

13 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Certainly John Brown's contribution is part of what makes this offense special when living up to potential.  Not having him means a significant adjustment for Josh.  Still, Hapless also has a point.  Josh himself admitted he can be too greedy at times.

John Brown is just so consistent game to game and week to week...you can pretty much pencil him in for 5-6 catches and 70-80 yards week after week.

3 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Hope White is healthy and can keep up with Hill. Find a way to manage Kelce from killing you for chunk plays oh and stop their running attack. Not an easy task but if there was ever a time we need our running game to show up it's tonight as think long sustaining drives that lead to TDs can keep us in and possibly win the game. 

Do we double kelce with a bump at the line from Edmunds and or Milano and then a safety grabs him as he gets depth.  A little over under on him.