In a copy cat league...how does John Brown change what chiefs can do?

Hebert19

We can assume that after titans game that a lot of teams are going to sit in a zone with a spy and dare josh to have 15 play scoring drives...but what does John brown do to change that?

Does his ability to get vertical mean we see the backers deeper and he draws a safety to his side opening the crossing routes and giving Beasley and Davis more space underneath?

Thats my thought but curious what you guys think we can do to make the chiefs regret dropping back into zone. 

• Like (+1) 2

As you're saying, I think his value is in stretching the field and pushing the back of the D further away...opens up more space in shorter and interim route areas.

I can only imagine how much respect a DB has to give a guy with Brown's speed....one misstep and he's past you and you aren't going to be able to catch back up.  The FS has to keep an eye on him and respect his speed too.

Brown can improve our passing game without even catching a pass.

• Like (+1) 3

I think Brown opens up more of the intermediate stuff, which is Allen’s wheelhouse and the Titans took away because only Diggs was taking them deep. 

I think a bigger thing, and something I believe Allen acknowledged, is that he just needs to be more patient and take what’s given.  

The short underneath stuff was open all game, because, even without Brown, you can only take away so much... they banked on Allen not being patient enough to take what was given, and until the second half, they were right.  

Unfortunately, once we started adjusting, Allen had a long drive culminating in a pick and then the next drive we scored, but with a defense that was completely useless, it was too little, too late. 

Back to Brown though, I don’t think the Titans can execute the same exact game-plan with him out there.  Similar, yes, and Allen needs to adjust and become more patient..   But with Brown on one side, and Diggs on the other, the defense gets stretched out and as a result, more intermediate passing lanes open.  

Side note:  I think Browns speed is incredibly important to what Allen thrives on.  Makes me think we may want to draft another burner early on in the draft.  At least, I would...

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

When teams go to heavy zone coverage, Brown can threaten the deep border as well as anyone. He forces the safeties to widen or the corners to play some bail technique, which creates more space for the underneath stuff.

Aside from that, Allen trusts him, and he knows how to work back to the QB when Allen scrambles.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

We can assume that after titans game that a lot of teams are going to sit in a zone with a spy and dare josh to have 15 play scoring drives...but what does John brown do to change that?

Does his ability to get vertical mean we see the backers deeper and he draws a safety to his side opening the crossing routes and giving Beasley and Davis more space underneath?

Thats my thought but curious what you guys think we can do to make the chiefs regret dropping back into zone. 

Well, one thing in the first half...there were times when the Titans were giving Josh's checkdown options SOoooooooOOoo freakin' much cushion that if he looked to them more, he could have had some big chunk plays.   Josh's known reluctance to take the checkdown must be part of the "book" on him around the league.  Knox went from the LOS 15 yds downfield on one play where Allen hit him.  There were a couple other plays where Josh did pull the trigger but he threw it flat and I'm pretty sure it was tipped.  There were more, especially early on, where he forced it rather than take the quick checkdown.  Hopefully that's a point of emphasis to him this week.

If KC does something similar and Josh sees those open guys and hits them accurately enough to allow YAC, they'll move out of their zone.  Teams change their plans PDQ when they're getting burned for 8-15 ypa.

I'm not great at this kind of analysis but I actually don't think the Titans had a spy on Josh a lot of the time.

• Like (+1) 3

Another piece of the puzzle is what we do on first/second down. 

Allen was constantly put in 2nd/3rd and long in this game due to our inability to get positive yardage on early down runs and the out of character penalties we dealt with all night.  

-No Smoke

-Playing from behind all game

-Allen’s unwillingness to check down

-Running game struggles

It was all a perfect storm, and we can normally overcome the meh running game, but when you take away Smoke and add in playing from behind, it just seemed to be the perfect storm for the Titans to execute a game plan that invited Allen to check down.  

Some of our receivers need to make some plays and get some yards after catch. It’s great that Beasley and others can settle into a pocket in a zone. But I’d love to see some catches and our receivers making a few guys miss and breaking off some YAC. You’d think a guy like McKenzie would do a nice job of that. It will all of a sudden make any team question giving the Bills “the underneath stuff” when we can turn an open 7-yard pass into a 20-yard gain. 

I also have to think this is pretty much what Brady and the pats have done for years— dink and dunk down the field. Seems to be effective— just have to make plays when get into the red zone. 

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Some of our receivers need to make some plays and get some yards after catch. It’s great that Beasley and others can settle into a pocket in a zone. But I’d love to see some catches and our receivers making a few guys miss and breaking off some YAC. You’d think a guy like McKenzie would do a nice job of that. It will all of a sudden make any team question giving the Bills “the underneath stuff” when we can turn an open 7-yard pass into a 20-yard gain. 

I also have to think this is pretty much what Brady and the pats have done for years— dink and dunk down the field. Seems to be effective— just have to make plays when get into the red zone. 

This is where the Bills missing a quality receiving TE is a gap to them.  Gronk killed teams with YAC for years.  So does PEDelman

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

This is what the Bills defense was designed to do, for whatever reason this year it isn't working. McDermott wants to make teams run or pass for 5 yards at most all the way down the field. He counts on the other team eventually making a mistake to force a punt or turnover. That's what the Titans did to us. You beat that defense in two ways - either you take the top off them or you play mistake free football all the way to the endzone. The Bills didn't have anyone to take the top off and made a ton of mistakes. That's why our offense had their first bad game of the year. If other defenses use that same strategy against us Allen will have to be patient, the line and receivers need to not make so many mistakes, and yes having Brown back will help a lot.

Edited by HappyDays

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

This is what the Bills defense was designed to do, for whatever reason this year it isn't working. McDermott wants to make teams run or pass for 5 yards at most all the way down the field. He counts on the other team eventually making a mistake to force a punt or turnover. That's what the Titans did to us. You beat that defense in two ways - either you take the top off them or you play mistake free football all the way to the endzone. The Bills didn't have anyone to take the top off and made a ton of mistakes. That's why our offense had their first bad game of the year. If other defenses use that same strategy against us Allen will have to be patient, the line and receivers need to not make so many mistakes, and yes having Brown back will help a lot.

You missed something.  Allen has to Take the ***** Checkdown, especially the one that allows the YAC!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You missed something.  Allen has to Take the ***** Checkdown, especially the one that allows the YAC!

That's what I meant when I said he has to be patient. Against the Raiders I thought he did a great job finding his check down when needed, for some reason against the Titans he got away from that. It's funny to talk about a Bills QB that doesn't check the ball down enough but it is definitely a flaw in his game as of right now.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

That's what I meant when I said he has to be patient. Against the Raiders I thought he did a great job finding his check down when needed, for some reason against the Titans he got away from that. It's funny to talk about a Bills QB that doesn't check the ball down enough but it is definitely a flaw in his game as of right now.

Too true.  I hope he has refocused on making his passing precise under pressure.

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

Brown should help, but it's up to Josh to take what the defense is giving him and Daboll and the staff to make sure he does that. 

It’s Josh’s powerful arm and aggressiveness which makes our offense special. In those first four wins we weren’t exactly taking five to ten yard chunks so it’s a fine line in what you’re asking. I think we’re trying to make a unique and special offense that features Josh and with that growing pains are going to occur. I want to see Josh at his absolute best not a copy of some other QB.