E.J. Manuel article

51 minutes ago, hurfldurf said:

I

Passing wise it's wild how similar they are, and I might give EJ the edge there. Josh is obviously the better rusher, but he had 19 turnovers to EJ's 15. 

Is the difference in rushing and 2 more wins enough of a difference to anoint one guy a savior and the other a complete bust?

Comparing their rookie years Allen was still better by a landslide when you consider how dominant he was with his legs. Throw in Allen's massive potential and EJ's lack there of and it's of course obvious why Allen was given a full second year. 

So I do think the huge difference in rushing as well as Allen's arm talent alone were enough to give Allen more time.

At least EJ didn't get the Josh Rosen treatment.

1 hour ago, hurfldurf said:

I think EJ was a victim of a negative narrative more so than bad play. He was given 14 starts before he was benched. That seems extremely short for a first round pick. Compare his stats in those 14 games to Josh Allen's first 14 games:

Passing:

Player Comp. Att. Comp. % Yards Yds/Att. TD Int. Sacks Yards Lost
EJ Manuel 256 437 58.6% 2810 6.4 16 12 34 -203
Josh Allen 229 408 56.1% 2750 6.7 13 15 30 -227

Rushing:

Player Att. Yards Avg. Rush TD Fumb. Fumb. Lost
EJ Manuel 69 238 3.4 3 7 3
Josh Allen 111 710 6.4 10 12 4

Player Record
EJ Manuel 6-8
Josh Allen 8-6

Passing wise it's wild how similar they are, and I might give EJ the edge there. Josh is obviously the better rusher, but he had 19 turnovers to EJ's 15. 

Is the difference in rushing and 2 more wins enough of a difference to anoint one guy a savior and the other a complete bust?

*Disclaimer: I ❤️ Josh Allen, just thought EJ got a raw deal here and never got a real chance to grow and succeed.

Its not just about stats.  When you look at the two on the field... even as rookies you can see a big difference.  One guy was a gamer and a leader on the field.  The other guy just went through the motions.  Also you bring up the turnover difference but not the scoring difference.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

I think EJ was a victim of a negative narrative more so than bad play. He was given 14 starts before he was benched. That seems extremely short for a first round pick. Compare his stats in those 14 games to Josh Allen's first 14 games:

Passing:

Rushing:

Player Record
EJ Manuel 6-8
Josh Allen 8-6

*Disclaimer: I ❤️ Josh Allen, just thought EJ got a raw deal here and never got a real chance to grow and succeed.

No one looked at Josh’s stats and thought they were great. Josh put a ton of positive plays on the tape. EJ did not.

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I think that's full of hyperbole bro

There's not FSU fan who won't admit EJ Manuel had a good senior season. he also won you guys like two orange bowls

And had like 68% completion his senior year with over two to one touchdown interception ratio

Was he a superstar? No, but the dude was one of the better college quarterbacks in FBS that year

EJ had a decent season with a stacked team. How many NFLers were on that 2012 FSU team? 

Passing:

Rushing:

Player Record
EJ Manuel 6-8
Josh Allen 8-6

Did Manuel have a single elite play in his time at QB? His most memorable play was the game winner against Carolina to a wide open Stevie Johnson. He occasionally showed flashes of being mediocre. You can't compare that to Allen's rookie season.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Are there still EJ defenders?  I, and every other FSU fan I know knew he wasn't going to be a good pro QB.  He was a decent college QB but he looked much better on paper than he did during the heat of the battle.  He squandered a lot of talent at FSU too.  Kelvin Benjamin had 4 Td's in a season with EJ and had 15 the next year with Jamies.  Apparently EJ is a big cry baby now, including blaming racism for his lack of success in the NFL.

21 minutes ago, FireChans said:

EJ had a decent season with a stacked team. How many NFLers were on that 2012 FSU team? 

Manuel was an all acc 2nd team qb

Help the team win 12 games for just the third time in it's historic history

25-6 as starter , including fsu's first BCS bowl win since 2000

And prior to Winston , was the leader of FSUs most prolific offense in program history

Was also MVP of senior bowl iirc

He was more than decent in College. He did what fsu asked very well and the results were W's

Edited by Buffalo716

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

And prior to Winston , was the leader of FSUs most prolific offense in program history

He was more than decent in College. He did what fsu asked very well

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/florida-state/2012-roster.html

He did fine, because he had as close to an NFL roster as you can get in college. The next season, they played like it and won the Natty because they had a real QB. 23 TD's passing in college is not impressive.

EJ also had 460 rushing yards on 200 carries in his last 2 seasons. He's delusional about his dual threat ability.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He was more than decent in College. He did what fsu asked very well

Most prolific offense in FSU history?  Ward in 1993, and Weinke in 2000 disagree with you.  EJ throwing 23 TDs and 10 ints is not the most prolific offense in FSU history.

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/florida-state/2012-roster.html

He did fine, because he had as close to an NFL roster as you can get in college. The next season, they played like it and won the Natty because they had a real QB. 23 TD's passing in college is not impressive.

EJ also had 460 rushing yards on 200 carries in his last 2 seasons. He's delusional about his dual threat ability.

Fans overreact about how good and bad players are. I just scout football players I don't care about where they go to school or allegiances

EJ Manuel was not a good pro quarterback. He had a better college career than 95% of every college quarterback that ever lived

The dude won a BCS game at Florida State and made an all ACC team. Jameis Winston being better has no bearing on if EJ was good or not in college

Jameis Winston is just a superior quarterback

Every single division one athlete with a scholarship has enough talent to go to the NFL if they go get the right coaching and playing the right system

And EJ had a better career than 95% of them. Objectively I can say EJ Manuel was a pretty good college quarterback

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Fans overreact about how good and bad players are. I just scout football players I don't care about where they go to school or allegiances

EJ Manuel was not a good pro quarterback. He had a better college career than 95% of every college quarterback that ever lived

The dude won a BCS game at Florida State and made an all ACC team. Jameis Winston being better has no bearing on if EJ was good or not in college

Jameis Winston is just a superior quarterback

Every single division one athlete with a scholarship has enough talent to go to the NFL if they go get the right coaching and playing the right system

And EJ had a better career than 95% of them. Objectively I can say EJ Manuel was a pretty good college quarterback

EJ had a better team than 95% of them.

AJ McCarron had a better career than EJ Manuel, he won a Natty! He must be one of the best college QB's of all time.

11 minutes ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

Most prolific offense in FSU history?  Ward in 1993, and Weinke in 2000 disagree with you.  EJ throwing 23 TDs and 10 ints is not the most prolific offense in FSU history.

Ward and weinkes squads in those years did not have more offensive yards than EJ Manuels squad

Ward didn't throw for as many yards but a few more TDs

Manual sits fourth all time in yards and like eighth all time in touchdown at fsu

The dude didn't become an NFL superstar, and he wasn't a college Superstar, but he absolutely was a solid college player

Apparently if you're not an all American you're not solid lol EJ could has started for well over 80% of division 1 schools

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

EJ had a better team than 95% of them.

AJ McCarron had a better career than EJ Manuel, he won a Natty! He must be one of the best college QB's of all time.

AJ McCarron was a very good college quarterback. Nobody ever said he was the best but he was very good in college

Collage and pros is a completely different game

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He was more than decent in College. He did what fsu asked very well and the results were W's

QBs don't win games.  Teams do.   I believe the point most people here are trying to make is that EJ benefited immensely from being on a stacked team.  He did not carry FSU on his shoulders.

1 minute ago, prissythecat said:

QBs don't win games.  Teams do.   I believe the point most people here are trying to make is that EJ benefited immensely from being on a stacked team.  He did not carry FSU on his shoulders.

I don't think I ever once said he didn't play on a stacked squad. He did, and he absolutely benefited from it

But you can only play with who you play with, and Florida state had the best recruiting classes in the country at that time, and guess who rose to the top of the depth chart at quarterback for that stacked program

EJ Manuel

He absolutely deserves credit for winning the job and helping lead his team to victories

10 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Ward and weinkes squads did not have more offensive yards than EJ Manuels squad

Ward didn't throw for as many yards but a few more TDs

Manual sits fourth all time in yards and like eighth all time in touchdown at fsu

The dude didn't become an NFL superstar, and he wasn't a college Superstar, but he absolutely was a solid college player

EJ had an extra game.  Ward in 1993 and Weinke in 2000 both dusted EJ's squad in yards per game. No one would ever say the 2012 squad up until that point was FSU most prolific offense.  Total nonsense.

Just now, soflabillsfan1 said:

EJ had an extra game.  Ward in 1993 and Weinke in 2000 both dusted EJ's squad in yards per game. No one would ever say the 2012 squad up until that point was FSU most prolific offense.  Total nonsense.

Listen people were saying EJ Manuel was a trash quarterback in college

I'm just here to say that is objectively far from the truth

Trash quarterback wouldn't climb to the top of the depth chart at Florida State while they had some of the top recruiting classes in the country

A trash quarterback would get buried on the depth chart and then transfer to UConn

31 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Listen people were saying EJ Manuel was a trash quarterback in college

I'm just here to say that is objectively far from the truth

Trash quarterback wouldn't climb to the top of the depth chart at Florida State while they had some of the top recruiting classes in the country

A trash quarterback would get buried on the depth chart and then transfer to UConn

He definitely wasn't trash.  I'll agree with you on that.