E.J. Manuel article

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Something something Hospitality tent

Yeah, his coaching staff and the talent around him did him no favors.  Yes, if he'd been allowed to sit and learn the game behind Kolb for a year (as was the plan) and if he'd been placed behind a capable OL instead of one forced into disarray by stubborn square peg shoving, and with WR experienced in the offense, he could probably have played better.

On the other hand....even playing behind a crap OL with no run game and bargain-basement or checked-out WR, we could see competitive fire and leadership from Josh we never saw from EJ.  And athleticism.

Methinks that Manuel is getting a bit revisionist in his perceptions, seeing all the great dual-threat QB currently in the league and dreaming of what might have been.

Some truth to this

He had Wood and Watkins as his receivers.

12 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I think that's full of hyperbole bro

There's not FSU fan who won't admit EJ Manuel had a good senior season. he also won you guys like two orange bowls

And had like 68% completion his senior year with over two to one touchdown interception ratio

Was he a superstar? No, but the dude was one of the better college quarterbacks in FBS that year

Please , How many games have you actually watched him play at FSU ??

8 minutes ago, Putin said:

Please , How many games have you actually watched him play at FSU ??

I watched him play at fsu a bunch. I'm a football scout all I do i watch football

He was a draftable qb. Not the first round , but the 4-5th absolutely

A not good QB doenst even start at a program like fsu. There are around 120+ D1 starters. You couldn't name 25 better than EJ Manuel that year

That alone doesn't make him bad. He wasn't a good pro but he absolutely was a solid college qb. Joe burrow did nothing for 4 years too

You're comparing him to a Heisman trophy winner in jameis who had a even more stacked team than EJ

Fans calling any division 1 athlete is funny, because they are all supremely talented. Let alone one who is an NFL draftee

Edited by Buffalo716

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I watched him play at fsu a bunch. I'm a football scout all I do i watch football

He was a draftable qb. Not the first round , but the 4-5th absolutely

A not good QB doenst even start at a program like fsu. There are around 120+ D1 starters. You couldn't name 25 better than EJ Manuel that year

That alone doesn't make him bad. He wasn't a good pro but he absolutely was a solid college qb. Joe burrow did nothing for 4 years too

You're comparing him to a Heisman trophy winner in jameis who had a even more stacked team than EJ

Fans calling any division 1 athlete is funny, because they are all supremely talented. Let alone one who is an NFL draftee

Yah still haven’t forgotten ( I believe) was his last game against the Gators ... 

Again a kid out of high school took the same team and WON A CHAMPIONSHIP !!!!!

1 minute ago, Putin said:

Yah still haven’t forgotten ( I believe) was his last game against the Gators ... 

Again a kid out of high school took the same team and WON A CHAMPIONSHIP !!!!!

James Winston is a better quarterback. And he was a full year removed from high school

As an odd historical footnote he was one of a long line of Bills starters this century who found their way to the Raiders organization after finishing in Buffalo. Johnson, Losman, Edwards, Manuel, Peterman. Going back to the days of Lamonica both organizations have loved the big arm but that does not explain Edwards or Peterman. 

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

James Winston is a better quarterback. And he was a full year removed from high school

We were lucky that it was EJ’s final year at FSU if not Winston ends up in Alabama and we would have NEVER won Championship that year 

2 minutes ago, Putin said:

We were lucky that it was EJ’s final year at FSU if not Winston ends up in Alabama and we would have NEVER won Championship that year 

FSau won because they had the best recruits in the country at that period WITH the #1 overall pick QB and Heisman winner

They probably don't win without anybody but Jameis... Last play of game td to kb..

Coming back too soon from injury didn't derail his career.  His lack of learning derailed his career.  He never got better.  I would actually say he got worse as time went on.  Nice guy but unlike what Whaley said... he just didn't have that IT factor.  You could say Marone coaching did him no favors but he went to another team and was still the same guy.

Edited by Scott7975

I think EJ was a victim of a negative narrative more so than bad play. He was given 14 starts before he was benched. That seems extremely short for a first round pick. Compare his stats in those 14 games to Josh Allen's first 14 games:

Passing:

Player Comp. Att. Comp. % Yards Yds/Att. TD Int. Sacks Yards Lost
EJ Manuel 256 437 58.6% 2810 6.4 16 12 34 -203
Josh Allen 229 408 56.1% 2750 6.7 13 15 30 -227

Rushing:

Player Att. Yards Avg. Rush TD Fumb. Fumb. Lost
EJ Manuel 69 238 3.4 3 7 3
Josh Allen 111 710 6.4 10 12 4

Player Record
EJ Manuel 6-8
Josh Allen 8-6

Passing wise it's wild how similar they are, and I might give EJ the edge there. Josh is obviously the better rusher, but he had 19 turnovers to EJ's 15. 

Is the difference in rushing and 2 more wins enough of a difference to anoint one guy a savior and the other a complete bust?

*Disclaimer: I ❤️ Josh Allen, just thought EJ got a raw deal here and never got a real chance to grow and succeed.

Edited by hurfldurf

25 minutes ago, hurfldurf said:

I think EJ was a victim of a negative narrative more so than bad play. He was given 14 starts before he was benched. That seems extremely short for a first round pick. Compare his stats in those 14 games to Josh Allen's first 14 games:

Passing:

Player Comp. Att. Comp. % Yards Yds/Att. TD Int. Sacks Yards Lost
EJ Manuel 256 437 58.6% 2810 6.4 16 12 34 -203
Josh Allen 229 408 56.1% 2750 6.7 13 15 30 -227

Rushing:

Player Att. Yards Avg. Rush TD Fumb. Fumb. Lost
EJ Manuel 69 238 3.4 3 7 3
Josh Allen 111 710 6.4 10 12 4

Player Record
EJ Manuel 6-8
Josh Allen 8-6

Passing wise it's wild how similar they are, and I might give EJ the edge there. Josh is obviously the better rusher, but he had 19 turnovers to EJ's 15. 

Is the difference in rushing and 2 more wins enough of a difference to anoint one guy a savior and the other a complete bust?

*Disclaimer: I ❤️ Josh Allen, just thought EJ got a raw deal here and never got a real chance to grow and succeed.

Looking at the game tape is what tells a different story .  Also EJ got another chance with the Raiders and couldn’t even stay on the roster for a no 2 or 3 spot. 

I maintain the same position in regards to QBs as always. Regardless of circumstances, surrounding talent, coaching, etc...eventually you have to perform. EJ did not. The league is littered with QBs who if everything around them is perfect can be really good. The great ones make everything around them good. 

Seriously, you could have had Adam Gase as the coach of Peyton Manning and it wouldn't matter. Manning would have been great. 

Edited by jeremy2020

6 hours ago, prissythecat said:

Gruden was the one who cut EJ after EJ had that one particularly disastrous preseason game with the Raiders.

6 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Oh wow. I guess I stand corrected. Can't believe he still loves Peterman so much though. I got to give it to Peterman he's really good in practice and pre-season.

burma-shave-1-stephen-stookey.thumb.jpg.e6de2a0d496b64c0640ce23b2900fd17.jpg.b271908dc50a3d5c7b80ff6-19ccdfaa09b42128946d50.jpg.339d5df78ecd72f59871bcae5e331409.jpg.9d8d3cc42a2858ceb74307576d8c6287.jpg

You can talk about talent

And who has more of it

It’s enough to make your head throb

He can blame who he wants

Or just stand above it

But it’s Late Nate who still has a job.

Peterman