E.J. Manuel article

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

he was already a guy with a ton of reps. At some point you aren’t going to radically change who you are.

It could be done.  Randall Cunningham was more a running back kind of QB when he came into the league but became more of pocket passer with the Vikings in the late 90's.

Anyway if he really didn't like his time with Buffalo that much, that would have offered him a much different change of scenery 

11 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

It could be done.  Randall Cunningham was more a running back kind of QB when he came into the league but became more of pocket passer with the Vikings in the late 90's.

Anyway if he really didn't like his time with Buffalo that much, that would have offered him a much different change of scenery 

For perspective though, I’ve got to point out Cunningham was drafted 5 years before EJ was even born. 

we are talking about not just a totally different league but also radically different pipeline that players are developing in at that point (ie EJ was going to qb camps that young Randall couldn’t imagine)

6 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

For perspective though, I’ve got to point out Cunningham was drafted 5 years before EJ was even born. 

we are talking about not just a totally different league but also radically different pipeline that players are developing in at that point (ie EJ was going to qb camps that young Randall couldn’t imagine)

Respect your opinion but I always did feel EJ didn’t have the mental toughness as well to play in the league.  It appeared he got down on himself easily.  That I think could have been worked on 

As I saw it Marrone F’d him up big time. 

Raw rookie and DM wanted to run a hurry up offense. ???

When EJ was injured and the back up came in DM went with a more conventional O. 

Enter EJ back to hurry up. 

Enter Orton and it was still a disaster with the conventional O. 

2 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

https://www.pilotonline.com/757teamz/vp-sp-ej-manuel-acc-network-20201016-utca56z6czcp3kgmiyt7hihd64-story.html

Manuel had impressive back-to-back games in the preseason with the Bills but suffered a knee injury that caused him to miss the final two preseason games. An MRI revealed he needed a minor procedure.

He returned but injured his knee again and missed six regular-season games. He finished the season with 1,972 passing yards, 11 touchdowns and nine interceptions in 10 games. He also rushed for 186 yards and two touchdowns.

Looking back on it now, Manuel wished he — and his agent — would have spoken up. He felt he was rushed back to duty even though he wasn’t 100%. But he was a rookie and a No. 1 draft pick.

Manuel knows that experience affected his career.

“The perception of me was that I was a bust or that I couldn’t play,” he said. “Naturally, in the NFL, it’s a copycat league. So if one team feels like you can’t get it done, the other ones are going to start looking at you skeptically, too, without giving you a chance. It changed the projection of my career.”

excuses.  He was never an elite prospect.   He could have been a good career backup.  

24 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Respect your opinion but I always did feel EJ didn’t have the mental toughness as well to play in the league.  It appeared he got down on himself easily.  That I think could have been worked on 

a lot could have been worked on with him.  We lacked any structure to assist players.  That said, it has nothing to do with him not getting a chance elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Unfortunately for EJ, Gruden was not back in the league yet with the Raiders. Or he might still be on the Raiders roster. He's like a better version Peterpick.

Gruden was the one who cut EJ after EJ had that one particularly disastrous preseason game with the Raiders.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

a lot could have been worked on with him.  We lacked any structure to assist players.  That said, it has nothing to do with him not getting a chance elsewhere.

Agree, I think the coaching here didn’t handle him in the best ways.  But to say the Bills stopped him from having some success ultimately as a starter in the NFL seems a little foolish to me.  I still think he could’ve went about it differently,

Ill leave it there with this thread 

Edited by Another Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

We did him no favors. 

that he continues to talk about it suggests he probably wasn’t doing himself many favors either 

who he was as a man behind the scenes always seemed an interesting story. We often heard the polished, mature story line but there were a few reports that suggested perhaps otherwise along the way.

...have to agree....Nix's first choice was Genome Smith.......they flew down to interview him and work him out...plane ride home consensus was, "uh...no thanks"......EJ was his second choice and not worthy of a 1st round pick, but Buddy was hell bent......Marrone and his 2013 staff was not known for patience or developmental prowess either......EJ's fragile self confidence was also a major deterrent IMO.............

3 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

https://www.pilotonline.com/757teamz/vp-sp-ej-manuel-acc-network-20201016-utca56z6czcp3kgmiyt7hihd64-story.html

Manuel had impressive back-to-back games in the preseason with the Bills but suffered a knee injury that caused him to miss the final two preseason games. An MRI revealed he needed a minor procedure.

He returned but injured his knee again and missed six regular-season games. He finished the season with 1,972 passing yards, 11 touchdowns and nine interceptions in 10 games. He also rushed for 186 yards and two touchdowns.

Looking back on it now, Manuel wished he — and his agent — would have spoken up. He felt he was rushed back to duty even though he wasn’t 100%. But he was a rookie and a No. 1 draft pick.

Manuel knows that experience affected his career.

“The perception of me was that I was a bust or that I couldn’t play,” he said. “Naturally, in the NFL, it’s a copycat league. So if one team feels like you can’t get it done, the other ones are going to start looking at you skeptically, too, without giving you a chance. It changed the projection of my career.”

Who is still writing about EJ Manual? Did the world run out to ***** to write about?

The biggest knock on him according to his own teammates (off-the-record) was that he could not learn the playbook. The offensive staff were constantly trimming plays back to half-field reads.

Maybe things would have gone different with different OC and mentoring, but he had lost the locker room and as a QB that is tough to recover.

Edited by WideNine

EJ seems bitter about his time in buffalo. And he seems full of excuses why he didn’t succeed.

It’s giving me flashbacks to his post game press conferences after terrible performances where he wouldn’t take ownership of his mistakes, and when asked about a poor performance would say things like “well the coaches said I did ok”.

I always felt like EJ was lacking confidence.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Putin said:

I’m an FSU fan since the early 90’s my wife was a student there at the time and had tickets for all home game , 

I never liked him as a college QB and was so disappointed ( disgusted actually) when the Bills drafted him , 

FSU went undefeated and won National Championship (with a freshman QB ) the year after , 

Bottom line he was never good not in college or the NFL 

I think that's full of hyperbole bro

There's not FSU fan who won't admit EJ Manuel had a good senior season. he also won you guys like two orange bowls

And had like 68% completion his senior year with over two to one touchdown interception ratio

Was he a superstar? No, but the dude was one of the better college quarterbacks in FBS that year

• Like (+1) 1