E.J. Manuel article

https://www.pilotonline.com/757teamz/vp-sp-ej-manuel-acc-network-20201016-utca56z6czcp3kgmiyt7hihd64-story.html

Manuel had impressive back-to-back games in the preseason with the Bills but suffered a knee injury that caused him to miss the final two preseason games. An MRI revealed he needed a minor procedure.

He returned but injured his knee again and missed six regular-season games. He finished the season with 1,972 passing yards, 11 touchdowns and nine interceptions in 10 games. He also rushed for 186 yards and two touchdowns.

Looking back on it now, Manuel wished he — and his agent — would have spoken up. He felt he was rushed back to duty even though he wasn’t 100%. But he was a rookie and a No. 1 draft pick.

Manuel knows that experience affected his career.

“The perception of me was that I was a bust or that I couldn’t play,” he said. “Naturally, in the NFL, it’s a copycat league. So if one team feels like you can’t get it done, the other ones are going to start looking at you skeptically, too, without giving you a chance. It changed the projection of my career.”

• Haha (+1) 1

We did him no favors. 

that he continues to talk about it suggests he probably wasn’t doing himself many favors either 

who he was as a man behind the scenes always seemed an interesting story. We often heard the polished, mature story line but there were a few reports that suggested perhaps otherwise along the way.

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 9

We probably did rush him back sooner than he would have liked.  And that indeed may have had in impact on the direction of his career, somewhat.

But it is not why his career was what it was.

That comes down to a lack of talent, and that has nothing to do with an injury.

Too bad he seems bitter about it all now.  He always seemed like a good guy.

• Like (+1) 4

55 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

We did him no favors. 

that he continues to talk about it suggests he probably wasn’t doing himself many favors either 

who he was as a man behind the scenes always seemed an interesting story. We often heard the polished, mature story line but there were a few reports that suggested perhaps otherwise along the way.

I’m an FSU fan since the early 90’s my wife was a student there at the time and had tickets for all home game , 

I never liked him as a college QB and was so disappointed ( disgusted actually) when the Bills drafted him , 

FSU went undefeated and won National Championship (with a freshman QB ) the year after , 

Bottom line he was never good not in college or the NFL 

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

https://www.pilotonline.com/757teamz/vp-sp-ej-manuel-acc-network-20201016-utca56z6czcp3kgmiyt7hihd64-story.html

Manuel had impressive back-to-back games in the preseason with the Bills but suffered a knee injury that caused him to miss the final two preseason games. An MRI revealed he needed a minor procedure.

He returned but injured his knee again and missed six regular-season games. He finished the season with 1,972 passing yards, 11 touchdowns and nine interceptions in 10 games. He also rushed for 186 yards and two touchdowns.

Looking back on it now, Manuel wished he — and his agent — would have spoken up. He felt he was rushed back to duty even though he wasn’t 100%. But he was a rookie and a No. 1 draft pick.

Manuel knows that experience affected his career.

“The perception of me was that I was a bust or that I couldn’t play,” he said. “Naturally, in the NFL, it’s a copycat league. So if one team feels like you can’t get it done, the other ones are going to start looking at you skeptically, too, without giving you a chance. It changed the projection of my career.”

Something something Hospitality tent

Yeah, his coaching staff and the talent around him did him no favors.  Yes, if he'd been allowed to sit and learn the game behind Kolb for a year (as was the plan) and if he'd been placed behind a capable OL instead of one forced into disarray by stubborn square peg shoving, and with WR experienced in the offense, he could probably have played better.

On the other hand....even playing behind a crap OL with no run game and bargain-basement or checked-out WR, we could see competitive fire and leadership from Josh we never saw from EJ.  And athleticism.

Methinks that Manuel is getting a bit revisionist in his perceptions, seeing all the great dual-threat QB currently in the league and dreaming of what might have been.

17 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

I feel like pretty much every player drafted by Buffalo in that era probably could have had a better career in the league if they were drafted by someone else 

Some truth to this

• Like (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

I feel like pretty much every player drafted by Buffalo in that era probably could have had a better career in the league if they were drafted by someone else 

Yeah, we kinda wasted a lot of really talented players. Over the last few  decades. 

• Like (+1) 1

Blaming a minor injury for his bad career is pretty petty.  They actually sat him for 5 or 6 games after he got injured in that Browns game.  He also lost his job to Orton, then Tyrod who were both better than him.  And that Jaguars game in London was pretty Peterman-esque.  Nice guy, but come on

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

???

I always thought his best plan for long term success in the NFL after Buffalo, was to play in the Canadian league.   There he could have got a better foundation for his game and work on the things that he felt needed to be adjusted.  Like Doug Flutie to some extent

I'm happy for him if he's happy with his life but in the long run I don't think the Bills necessarily ruined him 

5 minutes ago, Peter said:

???

here we are watching him make excuses/share blame. 

I don’t recall but think it was Timmy g that made some comments during the super bowl week one year that EJ was a bit immature/not a leader. 

it’s water under the bridge at this point but I just remember being curious about it a few times because some of the quiet undertones along the way seemed counter to the much louder pristine reputation of being an older, 4 year starter, mature, humble guy. Made me wonder about who the man was behind the marketing campaign as we rarely know too much about these guys.

5 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I always thought his best plan for long term success in the NFL after Buffalo, was to play in the Canadian league.   There he could have got a better foundation for his game and work on the things that he felt needed to be adjusted.  Like Doug Flutie to some extent

I'm happy for him if he's happy with his life but in the long run I don't think the Bills necessarily ruined him 

he was already a guy with a ton of reps. At some point you aren’t going to radically change who you are.