Electoral college contest

SDS

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

That's the map that I was thinking of when I said "who gets the states right".   A dozen or so posters could get the right overall number of EC votesm but the winner would be the one who got the most states right to come up with the winning EC count.

I like it. Tie breaker goes to?

National vote margin takes a really long time to sort out. Like six months. What would be quicker, yet still interesting?

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

I like it. Tie breaker goes to?

National vote margin takes a really long time to sort out. Like six months. What would be quicker, yet still interesting?

How about the national vote margin on December 8, which is the deadline, I think, for states to declare a winning candidate so that their electoral votes counted by the EC.  With all the millions of early voters, I think that all the states will have enough of the absentee/mail-in votes counted by then to declare state winners.

7 minutes ago, SoTier said:

How about the national vote margin on December 8, which is the deadline, I think, for states to declare a winning candidate so that their electoral votes counted by the EC.  With all the millions of early voters, I think that all the states will have enough of the absentee/mail-in votes counted by then to declare state winners.

oh, unless it’s 2000 and I expect a winner to be declared way before then. But that might not be a bad selection given that it is a tiebreaker anyway.

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

That's the map that I was thinking of when I said "who gets the states right".   A dozen or so posters could get the right overall number of EC votesm but the winner would be the one who got the most states right to come up with the winning EC count.

Thats a great map, thanks for sharing

I think it will be a larger margin victory for Trump than 2016. With the emails coming out about the Bidens being in the pocket of china and russia. 

This scandal is only going to get worse for the Bidens. Which I think it should because it stinks to high heaven the money they collected for no apparent reason at all.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Thats a great map, thanks for sharing

Actually, shoshin originally posted the link in this thread, so he should get the thanks.  I'd seen it before but I didn't post the link originally.

14 hours ago, Thurmal34 said:

I’m in. 385 to Biden. 135ish to Trump. 

It’s ovah. 

It won’t be close. 

That's a really foolish notion.  Not because Trump will necessarily win, but because the map would have to be historically bad for Trump.  Joe's a very weak candidate.  Only Trump's low likability and the 4 years of the media pounding Trump are keeping Joe in this thing.  Joe could win though. 

I’m going to set up a new topic regarding this. I’m going to have people fill out the blank map on the 270 site and then post the screenshot. I’ll try and figure out a prize for this. I think the best thing would be able to be transfer something via email.

• Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

That's a really foolish notion.  Not because Trump will necessarily win, but because the map would have to be historically bad for Trump.  Joe's a very weak candidate.  Only Trump's low likability and the 4 years of the media pounding Trump are keeping Joe in this thing.  Joe could win though. 

Why do you think it could not be historically bad for Trump?   In 1928, Republican Herbert Hoover won all the states except 7, taking 444 electoral votes to 87 for his opponent, Al Smith.  Then the Great Depression happened.   In 1932, Franklin  Roosevelt won all but 6 states and beat Hoover 472 electoral votes to 59.

The coronavirus pandemic is the biggest crisis the US has faced since the Great Depression.   The 2020 election is a referendum on how Trump has handled the pandemic, and all indications are that most Americans give him a failing grade on that. 

11 hours ago, SDS said:

I’m going to set up a new topic regarding this. I’m going to have people fill out the blank map on the 270 site and then post the screenshot. I’ll try and figure out a prize for this. I think the best thing would be able to be transfer something via email.

I'll sponsor $200 donation to the winner's legitimate charity of choice (nothing stupid just to tweak people but a good cause we'd all get behind).

I'll post an image of the receipt once I make the donation. 

Make it something positive.

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Why do you think it could not be historically bad for Trump?   In 1928, Republican Herbert Hoover won all the states except 7, taking 444 electoral votes to 87 for his opponent, Al Smith.  Then the Great Depression happened.   In 1932, Franklin  Roosevelt won all but 6 states and beat Hoover 472 electoral votes to 59.

The coronavirus pandemic is the biggest crisis the US has faced since the Great Depression.   The 2020 election is a referendum on how Trump has handled the pandemic, and all indications are that most Americans give him a failing grade on that. 

Biden ain't no Ronald Reagan or Franklin Roosevelt.  He's a very weak candidate, limping to the finish line having campaigned so little and with controversy mounting around him.  His greatest strength is anti-Trump sentiment.  The "Trump is responsible for 200K deaths" things rings hollow with many.  No President and no world leader anywhere was or could have been successful in keeping Covid-19 outside their borders.  The federal government has thrown the kitchen sink at this thing, and state governments have issued very tight restrictions and still many vulnerable people have passed away.

Biden would have to win nearly every swing state to get to that total.  It's just not going to happen.  I think everyone should be expecting this thing to be quite competitive unless something huge happens in the next couple weeks.