Is Josh changing how college QBs are scouted?

Mr. WEO

Nice piece (BR, but...):

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2913672-from-wyoming-rough-to-buffalo-ready-scouts-sound-off-on-josh-allens-rise?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

"He wasn't a run-first guy who out of nowhere just showed up [as a passer]," says one scout whose team drafted a quarterback that year. "He was always talented. He just needed some time in a new offense to feel comfortable. ... His confidence has grown in his arm and throwing ability, and he's making plays." 

"I'm not surprised how he's playing," says an NFC executive. "I think his accuracy issues in college were similar to Matt Ryan's. [They] threw a lot of INTs because they played with inferior teammates, so they tried to do too much and win every game by themselves."

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

I wanna say no....because the NFL has remained pretty stubborn about how they draft QBs. The big athletic guys consistently get drafted high, despite questionable stats and/or game tape reviews.

Josh Allen didn't change that, but he succeeded where a lot of those guys fail.

• Like (+1) 3

I don’t think much will change.  Coming out of college everyone knew JA had the physical tools to be an elite QB, but (thankfully for us) some GMs were scared to draft him because he went to a smaller school and played against inferior competition.  The much safer picks were Mayfield and Darnold.  JA was a high risk, high reward player, and thus far, Beane looks like a genius for trading up to draft him.

40 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I wanna say no....because the NFL has remained pretty stubborn about how they draft QBs. The big athletic guys consistently get drafted high, despite questionable stats and/or game tape reviews.

Josh Allen didn't change that, but he succeeded where a lot of those guys fail.

He was not like many big athletic guys drafted high--mainly because of where he came from.  

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Personally I think Russell Wilson changed how QBs are scouted and drafted. 

Agree. Without Russ there is no way Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray go #1 overall in consecutive years as short guys out of spread schemes. 

• Like (+1) 3

I'd say it's more likely that Josh Allen will change the way young QBs are coached and developed.  Allen didn't get so good overnight, just by being in the league a couple of years.  He got so good through months of hard work in the offseasons.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Personally I think Russell Wilson changed how QBs are scouted and drafted. 

The NFL is incredibly slow to change how they do things, and the league is not run by brilliant people.

One area that has seen some improvement in recent years, and Wilson may well be a big part of it, is with QB height.

I think the league is coming off the notion that you have to be 6'4" to play QB and "see" over the line.

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Nice piece (BR, but...):

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2913672-from-wyoming-rough-to-buffalo-ready-scouts-sound-off-on-josh-allens-rise?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

"He wasn't a run-first guy who out of nowhere just showed up [as a passer]," says one scout whose team drafted a quarterback that year. "He was always talented. He just needed some time in a new offense to feel comfortable. ... His confidence has grown in his arm and throwing ability, and he's making plays." 

"I'm not surprised how he's playing," says an NFC executive. "I think his accuracy issues in college were similar to Matt Ryan's. [They] threw a lot of INTs because they played with inferior teammates, so they tried to do too much and win every game by themselves."

for every big armed Josh Allen, there is a big armed Jamarcus Russell out there. there are so many things that go into evaluating a QB’s success - most important of which is what would they do with the talent.

Allen’s progress has as much to do with how he has worked on his weakness every offseason and how the organization has put complementary pieces around him as his god given talent.

Y’know, before Josh it was Pat Mahomes.. rocket arm QB, poor mechanics, came from a gimmicky offense.. Even Lamar Jackson had questions to a large degree.. Truth be told, if you have an OC worth his salt, why take the lesser talented QB? If your coaching staff is any good, why not take the more talented player and work out the kinks? 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, bills6969 said:

I don’t think much will change.  Coming out of college everyone knew JA had the physical tools to be an elite QB, but (thankfully for us) some GMs were scared to draft him because he went to a smaller school and played against inferior competition.  The much safer picks were Mayfield and Darnold.  JA was a high risk, high reward player, and thus far, Beane looks like a genius for trading up to draft him.

And how often do these “pro ready” QBs step in and dominate right away anyways? 🤨

2 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

for every big armed Josh Allen, there is a big armed Jamarcus Russell out there. there are so many things that go into evaluating a QB’s success - most important of which is what would they do with the talent.

Allen’s progress has as much to do with how he has worked on his weakness every offseason and how the organization has put complementary pieces around him as his god given talent.

Good point on Jamarcus vs JOsh.   Josh has a great work ethic and it is now paying off for him (and the Bills) in the third year of his career.  Jamarcus had zero work ethic.  If Josh keeps this progression up, he will be great for a decade or more.  Its one thing to know how to do it, its another to be consistent game after game for a whole season.  That is now his challenge.

• Like (+1) 1