Bills are a Good, Solid NFL Team.

PUNT750

9 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Star missing is hurting the ability to stop the run.   LBs are getting sealed off. 

Jordan Phillips missing hurts our inside pass rush.  He was disruptive in pass rush. 

Lorenzo missing is hurting LB play and leadership.  

The defense is clearly not as good as last year.  Injuries to Milano/Edmunds have contributed to poor play.  Oliver is playing hurt and has not been a factor.  Depth at CB and LB are problem areas, as they were last year. 

this says it all right here, man

defense has fallen off from the past and it's a drag because had they held the defense together and/or added players equal or better they had lost, this team would be a serious contender.

don't know how they turn it around this season but it is a MUST issue to address with the next draft and free agency.

monday afternoon (that sounds weird, man) will be a true test for this team going up against the sb champs and the mahomes kid. 

13 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

Suddenly a lot of people are thinking this Bills team is weak in a lot of areas! 

We have a great offense with a Franchise QB leading the show.  The Offense line is built to protect him and does.

The Defense has struggled but how many teams in the League haven't?  The lack of pre-season work & contact worked against us especially with 3 new players on the DL, new CB's and  injuries. 

We're in good shape. 

The expectation is no longer a "good solid team"

The expectation is a serious playoff contender

Fans aren't seeing that, from areas of the team we expected better from, and they're disappointed to pissed

6 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Star missing is hurting the ability to stop the run.   LBs are getting sealed off. 

Jordan Phillips missing hurts our inside pass rush.  He was disruptive in pass rush. 

Lorenzo missing is hurting LB play and leadership.  

The defense is clearly not as good as last year.  Injuries to Milano/Edmunds have contributed to poor play.  Oliver is playing hurt and has not been a factor.  Depth at CB and LB are problem areas, as they were last year. 

I agree with a lot of this......but the only one I feel we are truly missing as far as players that left is Star....injuries are def hurting us

Gotta weather the storm.   It would be nice to see them at least TRY to find a true one tech

16 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

So what players were lost to make it a weak defense?

This should be good

I don't think that our defense was really that good last year, either.  We just faced a lot of bad QBs.  OTOH, 6 of the QBs that started against us are no longer starting QBs in the NFL (Duck, Eli Manning, Allen, Haskins, Dalton, Mariota).

The D has performed poorly since the drive on which NE scored the GW TD in Week 17.

I think the Bills are a good team, but to be completely fair...their record against teams with a winning record isn't good. That's started to turn this season if the Rams and Raiders maintain winning records (I think they will). 

To your real point though, a stinker laid against the Titans doesn't change the team into an utter mess. There were certainly concerns that have been hanging around some all season about the defense hammered home. McDermott has faced this before with his defense getting whooped and he's generally turned it right around. 

Win or lose, play well against KC and a lot of fears will be allayed. The fashion in which they lost means they need a good showing against KC.

4 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I think we can hang with anyone. I think our game with KC will come down to execution and turnovers. 

"Hang" is a great term.  Two years ago we couldn't do that even with a top rated Defense.

On 10/16/2020 at 10:38 PM, TroutDog said:

I’ll argue this: Murphy and Hughes are not terrible. Hughes, in particular, has not been setting the edge, but Murphy has (oh, how the tables have turned!). 

Phillips has been better than good, so has...one of the new guys...Addison (?). Milano is very good and so is Edmunds when he’s not injured. That makes your argument a challenge, from my point of view. 

Ok, not enough depth? I’ll buy that. But with the general slant of the NFL towards O, I’d expect this to go on. What that means for future draft picks, etc. is another discussion. 

Ok, @97bills, please share your thoughts. Thanks!

20 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Ok, @97bills, please share your thoughts. Thanks!

Sorry just saw your post but yes I do think Hughes is long in the tooth and would be great if we had a young stud on that side we’re then Hughes could just be depth his not someone the offense is worried about. And I fill just about the same on Murphy they will get us through the year. But you better believe you will see more games like last week then them causing havoc. Just think when is the last time you seen either one make a game changing play sack on 3-8 or strip sack more then likely it’s the QB running around the edge for a big game or Hughes getting mad and getting a flag because he can’t get there any more. 

Hughes is not good anymore, murphy is trash.

Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson are missed more than star lotulelli which the best thing anyone can even say about him is he "isnt a star".

Edmunds is bad. MILANO is a beast when healthy. 

Our defense is bad.

On the positive side are offense is pretty good so thats "different" for us bills fans.

But true success is when both sides are good.

Having it flip on us is "bittersweet".

On 10/16/2020 at 8:31 PM, PUNT750 said:

I agree - and from the NY Times - "Through four weeks of the 2020 season, the average combined score of a game is 51.3 points, an increase of 16 percent over the same period a year ago and a roughly 20 percent increase in the average score of games since 2000.

This is absolutely worth considering -- our team is far from the only winning team to have uncharacteristic struggles on defense this season.

Baltimore's strong defense almost let a completely depleted Eagles team back into their game today, while the Colts defense that has been one of the strongest this year gave up 27 to the Bengals and put up a stinker against the Jaguars.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBobs said:

This is absolutely worth considering -- our team is far from the only winning team to have uncharacteristic struggles on defense this season.

Baltimore's strong defense almost let a completely depleted Eagles team back into their game today, while the Colts defense that has been one of the strongest this year gave up 27 to the Bengals and put up a stinker against the Jaguars.

All teams this season are showing D problems.  Was it the short training camps or the fact that D players are rotated around the NFL in free agency?  Nobody wants to pay $10 mil a season for a DL or LB!