[Incomplete Title] The only thing that matters this year for the Bills

TonyBeets

Is the continued development of Josh Allen.  Obviously we want to be in a spot where we can be superbowl contenders this year.  We have to continue to protect Josh Allen this offseason and not just sell the farm for defensive upgrades.  Whether it be depth, or upgrades, we cannot neglect the offense and facilitate a Josh Allen regression.

Like all of us, I'd love to win a super bowl...but we have to look at things long term, and Josh Allen has a chance to be a perennial all pro for many years to come.  Let's continue to help him grow and put pieces around him.  Let our defensive staff (HC) figure out ways to help the defence.  

Let us not all get greedy and lose sight of the long term.

15 minutes ago, TonyBeets said:

Is the continued development of Josh Allen.  Obviously we want to be in a spot where we can be superbowl contenders this year.  We have to continue to protect Josh Allen this offseason and not just sell the farm for defensive upgrades.  Whether it be depth, or upgrades, we cannot neglect the offense and facilitate a Josh Allen regression.

Like all of us, I'd love to win a super bowl...but we have to look at things long term, and Josh Allen has a chance to be a perennial all pro for many years to come.  Let's continue to help him grow and put pieces around him.  Let our defensive staff (HC) figure out ways to help the defence.  

We haven't won a playoff game in a quarter century.

Just how long term are we talking here?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, TonyBeets said:

wrong...when would you like to win....5-10 years from now? 

Edited by nucci
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, The Jokeman said:

Let's beat KC and go from there. 

Without a doubt. I'm simply pointing out that from a roster building standpoint, this is when a title appears most attainable. I think we're missing defensive pieces that would enable that to happen, unfortunately. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Without a doubt. I'm simply pointing out that from a roster building standpoint, this is when a title appears most attainable. I think we're missing defensive pieces that would enable that to happen, unfortunately. 

If the defense can play more consistent and generate a little more pass rush we have a chance. I'm not writing off anything yet. 

• Like (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Also some run blocking would be nice and a bona fide all down RB.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills are missing Star WAY more than they thought they would.....this coupled with losing Shaq and Lorax has them reeling a bit.  Injuries don't help either.  Along with Edmunds learning to grow without Lorax there to assist........some excellent pieces are there, they need to pick it up with what they have.

• Like (+1) 1

Perhaps this is arbitrary but to me the season is a success if we reach the 2nd round of the playoffs and a failure if we don't.  Obviously that's not how the FO should look at things and I agree with your premise that we keep spending draft capital and money on offense to develop Josh.  Fortunately for me (and you and everyone else) I am not employed by the Bills FO :D

This is all true, but no team in the NFL is perfect on both sides of the ball, and special teams, at one time.  I can write off Tuesday's game as an aberration (Tennessee is a good team and the Bills had a bad game, along with injuries to key players), but if we bounce back and go toe-to-toe with KC on Monday, I will believe that the Bills are a good as anyone else in the league and have as good of a shot as anyone.  As Allen gets closer to his payday, the cap flexibility window starts to close, and they have to strike when they can.

And yes, the Bills D was better with Shaq and Phillips (and Lorax), but those guys were up for long-term deals and while the Bills have cap space for THIS YEAR for their contracts, they don't/won't have it long term.  You can't pay every good player their maximum contract value and stay under the cap.

You are correct in that the number 1 issue that needed to be settled this year was Allen.

But you should never put off a chance of winning now. No one knows what will happen with the salary cap and current and future roster makeup. Win when you have the franchise QB on a rookie deal. Now I don't advocate being stupid and wasteful like the Texans, but spending some future draft capital to win now is the right move.

It was the right move when Beane traded for KB. Even though it did not work out in that deal it should not dissuade future moves this year.

Edited by Ethan in Portland