Josh Allen's 1st Int vs. Titans - How quickly the narrative changed

23 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The first two years, it would have been:

"Allen threw behind the receiver & again shows he is just not that accurate a passer"

On Tuesday it was: 

"The pass was there and that is a catch an NFL receiver has to make"

I saw the Int & blamed the receiver.  The replay did show Allen was a little off.  Since day one 1 with Allen I blame the receiver & now it seems so does the media (and most on here).😜 

Every single QB in the NFL as throws that aren’t perfect.

I’m more curious about the 2nd pick, that was so bad can’t help but wonder if it was a miscommunication 

There are lots of observations made about Josh Allen that are true, or at least have some grain of truth.  He did seem a bit off in the game on Tuesday.  I have felt that Patrick Mahomes was a little off in a couple of games he's had this season.  No QB is accurate on every throw.  I've seen misses from Mahomes, Rodgers, Brees, Brady and others I've seen this season.  I think the Tuesday game was a perfect storm of mistakes for the Bills.  Allen missed some passes through some accuracy issues.  The second interception looked like a misread.  Had the defender not been in that spot, the pass was a completion.  Josh needs to account for that defender before he lets go of the ball.  The defense missed tackles and had its own misreads.  The offensive line didn't block well.  The defensive line didn't get pressure.  The officiating was bad.  The whole thing was a mess.  Hopefully the team takes it as a wake up call.

Allen had a 69.4 QBR for the game and a 77 passer rating. That basically confirms what all our eyes saw watching the game. Allen played well enough to win if we didn't have an atrocious defense and offensive players dropping balls and committing penalties every other play. 69.4 QBR is not elite like Allen's first four games but it's well above league average. 77 passer rating of course is garbage but the difference just shows how much Allen was let down by the team as a whole. 

Allen is not without fault because his second pick was costly. Could have at least cut the game to 21-13 on that drive with a FG. But with the way the defense was playing doesn't feel like it would have mattered. 

I find this type of narrative-based thread to be a little frustrating. 

The first INT was mostly on Roberts even though the pass wasn't great. It was maybe 90/10 to the receiver if we're going to assign blame. The INT that went off Beasley's hands last year was also a poorly placed throw but it also had no touch even though Cole was only 15 feet away. That one was more like 60/40 on Allen. 

There seems to be this narrative that Allen has mostly been the same guy the whole time and all that's changed is his help, and so all the criticism from year one and two of his actual play was misplaced. This ignores the considerable changes and improvements Allen's made to his game this year. Outside of the Titans game, he's showing better accuracy, throwing with more anticipation, more consistency, etc. Why are we robbing Allen of that credit? He deserves it! 

I'm not going to pretend like there weren't a bunch of critics out there who were going out of their way to find evidence of bad play to match their pre-existing opinions. But let's also not pretend like Allen wasn't giving them a lot of ammunition just like he's now giving Bills Mafia a lot ammunition to say he's legitimately good. /rant

Edited by VW82

On 10/16/2020 at 9:20 AM, All_Pro_Bills said:

It was a catchable ball.  But what made matters worse were the circumstances.  If Brown wasn't hurt Roberts would not have been on the field for that play.  And it was the initial drive of the game.  It set the tone for the entire evening.  A short field against a defense that showed no resistance all night and the Titans were off to a fast 7-0 lead.  For me that play destroyed all the momentum and enthusiasm generated out of the Bills 4-0 start.  And a feeling of impending doom came over me as I watched.   

I hated that drop/INT of course, but thankfully the Bills players are tougher mentally! And they scored on their next drive too. If you have a feeling of doom after one bad play at the very beginning of a game... you expect perfect outcomes every time? I'm wary, know the importance of not blowing up opportunities, wish the Bills would crush an opponent for an easy on the heart game once in a while ha ha, but feeling doom, that they're done? Hell no

3 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

I would have put that on Roberts even if Nathan Peterman had thrown it. Hit him right in the hands...

Actually that first INT of Peterman's career was a pretty perfect pass. Dude couldn't get a break on top of creating his own messes.