Josh Allen's 1st Int vs. Titans - How quickly the narrative changed

The first two years, it would have been:

"Allen threw behind the receiver & again shows he is just not that accurate a passer"

On Tuesday it was: 

"The pass was there and that is a catch an NFL receiver has to make"

I saw the Int & blamed the receiver.  The replay did show Allen was a little off.  Since day one 1 with Allen I blame the receiver & now it seems so does the media (and most on here).😜 

• Like (+1) 8

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

"Allen threw behind the receiver & again shows he is just not that accurate a passer"

On Tuesday it was: 

I saw the Int & blamed the receiver.  The replay did show Allen was a little off.  Since day one 1 with Allen I blame the receiver & now it seems so does the media (and most on here).😜 

Wasn't a great throw but it was very catchable. Allen just seemed a little off most of the game.  Just one of those things he will hopefully have corrected by Monday. Far more worried about the defenses inability to get off the field and force punts.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

On Tuesday it was: 

I've played enough touch football to know - that was a very catchable ball.  Same with the knox one.  Same with the diggs one.  The roberts one seemed to go right through his hands and into his shoulder pad. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

That might be one of the most infuriating “interceptions” I’ve ever witnessed.  

Time. Place. Player. Circumstance.   

Roberts, who is normally never even in that situation, could not have picked a worse moment to flub what should have been a 15 yard strike for a first down.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Roberts, who is normally never even in that situation, could not have picked a worse moment to flub what should have been a 15 yard strike for a first down.  

my question is why wasn’t isaih Hodges elevated with Brown out as the 6th WR. 

reports from camp said he was one of the best performing wr’s 

Edited by Penfield45

It is 100% on Roberts.  He didn't try to catch it with his hands and let it get to his pads, then bounced off.  If it hits him in the shoulder pads, its 100% catchable.  

At worst, it should have been a 10 yard catch and first down.  Then we can put blame on Allen for not leading him for a bigger gain.  

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

On Tuesday it was: 

The announcers for the game were absolute trash. They had the narrative that it was a bad throw by Josh, and that he was forcing throws all night.

The first INT wasn't a perfect throw, but it certainly wasn't a bad throw either. That's a catch 99% of the time in the NFL. 

Josh had a few bad throws (2nd INT being the worst), but Tannehill forced just as many throws. Josh had about 5 pretty routine NFL catches dropped whereas AJ Brown kept making contested catches for Tannehill.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

It was a catchable ball.  But what made matters worse were the circumstances.  If Brown wasn't hurt Roberts would not have been on the field for that play.  And it was the initial drive of the game.  It set the tone for the entire evening.  A short field against a defense that showed no resistance all night and the Titans were off to a fast 7-0 lead.  For me that play destroyed all the momentum and enthusiasm generated out of the Bills 4-0 start.  And a feeling of impending doom came over me as I watched.   

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I've played enough touch football to know - that was a very catchable ball.  Same with the knox one.  Same with the diggs one.  The roberts one seemed to go right through his hands and into his shoulder pad. 

Agreed. Diggs had actually two clear drops - one in the first TD drive and one that ended FG drive.

I am not sure about both Davis incompletions in second half. I was studying all passes yesterday and was not sure about them, esp. that fastball on crossing route - was it out of reach or catchable?

23 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

my question is why wasn’t isaih Hodges elevated with Brown out as the 6th WR. 

reports from camp said he was one of the best performing wr’s 

Probably cause Robert's been great on ST but he had an awful game,  besidesvthat sideline catch . 

If Robert's catches that, Bills match down field,  it's likely a completely different game.  Can't dig a hole that early vs a quality opponent. 

I'm looking on the positive side tho. Maybe Bills were listening to the hype, not bringing it in practice,  I expect a rejuvenated team on Monday. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, SCBills said:

And that's why he's our last wr. Stick to returns (which he also fumbled). Aside from Beasley & Yeldon, the whole team was just not focused. Hopefully Brown is back Monday. How about calling  up Duke?

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 3

I count only the INT Allen threw later in the game as his first real and only interception of the season. That was the only one that was on him. The INT in the Rams game simply wasnt an INT, and the 1st of the Tenn game is all on Roberts.

I was happy to see Roberts come back and make that toe-drag catch along the sidelines. But then that fumble... Seems like the entire team were all trying to do too much instead of just doing their jobs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I also think that the reason the ball was slightly behind Roberts was that Allen expected him to sit in the open area of the zone.  Continuing towards the sideline in that coverage would have brought the WR AND ball back into coverage.  Brown sits on that pattern and catches a perfectly thrown pass in the gut for a 1st down.

But even with the miscommunication that was a very catchable ball.  To end up as an INT was just very bad luck and a weird bounce of the ball. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

Like much of the rest of the team, Josh definitely had an off night -- but he also made some plays. As for Roberts, it really was a nightmare of a game, starting with lousy returns, the interception that was 100% on him and ending with the fumble to hammer home what a mess the whole night was for the team.

With games like this (especially under the circumstances), you almost have to throw it out and move on.

40 minutes ago, dneveu said:

wayyyy to many drops Tuesday...all of them were catchable and on the WR  in my opinion. 

23 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

It was a catchable ball.  But what made matters worse were the circumstances.  If Brown wasn't hurt Roberts would not have been on the field for that play.  And it was the initial drive of the game.  It set the tone for the entire evening.  A short field against a defense that showed no resistance all night and the Titans were off to a fast 7-0 lead.  For me that play destroyed all the momentum and enthusiasm generated out of the Bills 4-0 start.  And a feeling of impending doom came over me as I watched.   

exactly how i felt

50 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Wasn't a great throw but it was very catchable. Allen just seemed a little off most of the game. 

I agree.  Allen was off all day.  He didn't show the precision and command we had seen earlier.  

As for Roberts, it's constantly amazing to me that some guys just have it and others don't.  You'd think that after years of practice by a world-class athlete, that catch would be routine.  Even the best don't make that catch every time, but when that happens to the best, it's a surprise.  When it happens to Roberts, it's just another ball going off his hands.  

Brown would have made a difference throughout the game; he would have made a BIG difference on that play.  

58 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Far more worried about the defenses inability to get off the field and force punts.

Hard to force punts when the other team starts its possession on your 30 yard line...

• Like (+1) 1