Lorax discusses Tremaine Edmunds

YoloinOhio

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He actually did a decent job on his run fits on Thursday. He was kinda selling out for the run though and that may have been the gameplan but it hurt us in the play action game. And that is what killed us Tuesday. 

Part of the defensive gameplan seemed to be just that: Sell out for the run and dare Tannehill to beat us.

I tend to feel that what killed us was

1) putting the D in crap field positions 3x with a turnover on pass deflection (INT), a 40 yd punt return, and an INT.

2) 10 accepted penalties, 9 of them presnap.  Can't win easily when you gift the opponent 1st and 5, 3rd and 2 etc.

3) a couple of bad, busted plays on D analogous to INT.  Can't win easily when you let them convert 3rd and 10 or worse, 3rd and 20 or totally lose contain on a mobile QB

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

If the shoulder is causing defenses to consistently get easy points, why is he on the field?!?

Because the dropoff to anyone else is too severe.   He calls the defense as well , which is critical.   If he's ok from the waist down, he's on the field.   Bills super thin at LB.  If Milano and TE are both out, with Star opting out, they have trouble there.   When's the bye week again?  

I don't know what film the Loarx is looking at but all I see is a LB'er getter pushed backwards and out of position on way too many plays. He had one or two good plays in coverage but besides that he looked like paper mâché. Lorax doing a review of Edmunds performance feels like Nepotism

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, klos63 said:

I've mentioned in other posts the significant turnover on the defense. But the eyes don't lie, it's not like everyone on this site isn't seeing the same thing.  We all see him not shedding blocks, not in position... not making plays.

And you know it's Edmunds, not Edwards, right?

Do we know for a fact his shoulder is hindering his performance? If so, that certainly is significant, let's see what happens the next few weeks.

I watched the way he tried to tackle Crowder (I believe) in the Jets game. I could see the impact and lack of being able wrap and elevate his arm. 
Edmunds is a player, it’s up to McDermott and Frazier to put him in a position to excel. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Part of the defensive gameplan seemed to be just that: Sell out for the run and dare Tannehill to beat us.

I tend to feel that what killed us was

1) putting the D in crap field positions 3x with a turnover on pass deflection (INT), a 40 yd punt return, and an INT.

2) 10 accepted penalties, 9 of them presnap.  Can't win easily when you gift the opponent 1st and 5, 3rd and 2 etc.

3) a couple of bad, busted plays on D analogous to INT.  Can't win easily when you let them convert 3rd and 10 or worse, 3rd and 20 or totally lose contain on a mobile QB

I agree, with one correction. It wasn't crap field position three times.

It was FOUR times.

1Q 13:29 - TEN drive start at BUF 16 (INT)

1Q 1:59 - TEN drive start at BUF 30 (PR)

3Q 3:05 - TEN drive start at BUF 12 (INT)

4Q 3:49 - TEN drive start at BUF 18 (Fum on KO)

28 points.

Edited by Thurman#1

33 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I agree, with one correction. It wasn't crap field position three times.

It was FOUR times.

1Q 13:29 - TEN drive start at BUF 16 (INT)

1Q 1:59 - TEN drive start at BUF 30 (PR)

3Q 3:05 - TEN drive start at BUF 12 (INT)

4Q 3:49 - TEN drive start at BUF 18 (Fum on KO)

28 points.

You're right.  Thought I'd corrected that.

IMO the PR was devastating: it was a 7-7 game at that point and Tenn then Buff had just exchanged punts.  So gift-wrapping a start for them on the Buff 30 that resulted in a TD and put them ahead was just crap.

• Like (+1) 1

Star was in for only 46% of the defensive snaps last year.  I’m tired of hearing that his absence is why Edmunds sucks this year.  How is it that Edmunds “managed” without Star 54% of the time last season?

Edited by Back the Blue

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I don't know what film the Loarx is looking at but all I see is a LB'er getter pushed backwards and out of position on way too many plays. He had one or two good plays in coverage but besides that he looked like paper mâché. Lorax doing a review of Edmunds performance feels like Nepotism

This! It’s been Edmunds problem from Day One and it’s not difficult to see or hard to understand. He’s tall and lanky. There’s no way he can take on an offensive lineman. He simply doesn’t have the leverage. So what does he need? First, he needs a space eater DT in front of him to occupy two linemen. Second he needs to be patient and stop trying to jump into holes where he’s ultimately a rag doll caught up in the wash. He can correct the second one. The first one is up to the Front Office to fix.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

With few us having the ability to see the games in person, one thing that was apparent at the Titan’s game (in person, I went), was the constant rotation of the DL. It’s been mentioned a lot, affords flexibility, keeps the players fresh, etc. But does it?

It’s a Hockey line change every play. The D-Line doesn’t stop running. They play one down, run off the field, run back on, play a down, over and over. It reminded me of my younger track days.....Run the 3200, keep moving/jogging until the 1600, keep moving until the 800, etc. The entire track meet was constant running (hard and not hard). These are 300 pound guys that never stop when the Defense is on the field. They lose the feel of the game and do not seem very “fresh” as the game rolls on. 

13 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Playing downhill?....he lost me on that comment.  

He's definitely playing downhill. The problem is he has no brakes and is coming down that hill at a bad angle, so one stutter step and the ball carrier goes right past him.

The angles on him missed tackles are infuriating.

I won't say he's out of position, or misdiagnosing plays, since we truly have no clue what his actual assignments are.

My main criticism, and what I will ding him for, is his lack of instincts on chasing down runners and making open field tackles. Dude should be a huge, fast beast swallowing up runners. Instead he looks like a baby giraffe learning how to run.

1 hour ago, JustWinPlease said:

Can we relax on this kid, please? I've seen lots of discussions about this kid, yet one thing hasn't been mentioned much.

He's still only 22 years old, he's probably younger than some 2020 draft picks...he's not even close to being in his prime yet.

Prime is not necessarily chronological age, it's experience too. This is year 3, if his age is holding him back, maybe don't draft someone that young who won't be in his prime by the time his first contract is up.

• Like (+1) 1