Ever seen a pumpkin?

EmotionallyUnstable

52 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Big. Small. I’ve seen them all. 
What do you do with yours? Eat them, paint them, carve them? Fake or real? 
We get a bunch. Carve a couple. Natural candle light on Halloween only. 
hbu

Usually eat and carve.  Always real. 

Used ta get kinda fancy on the carving before the kid left town. 

Candles except last year we took one to hospital for my mom, had LED battery light then.

Eat: pies, custards, cookies, savory soups, stuffed.  Always roast and scoop out for dishes using pulp.  Peeling, cubing and boiling huge waste of effort.

image.thumb.png.543cfefbf91a8e218695872f9858bd38.png

image.thumb.png.968e0c13714646c4e8ffa1abb0886389.png

• Like (+1) 7

45 minutes ago, Augie said:

I normally enjoy Halloween. VERY few kids in our neighborhood, but families truck them in for good candy. This year I may hang a banner that’s says “WE TESTED POSITIVE!” 

We've been talking about how to handle candy distribution.  Halloween a Big Deal in our neighborhood. Usually people bring firepits out, adults go from house to house visiting and snacking and drinking.   And being St Louis - kids better have a joke to tell, or perform something, if you want a treat.

Anyway, lots of uncertainties but thinking about clipping candy to a cord and stringing across front yard so kids could take off individual pieces and not have to reach into common bowl.  Could use  "caution tape" or "crime scene" tape for that Halloween vibe.  But unclear to me how many kids will come.

• Like (+1) 2

One year when the kids were young we had something to attend on Halloween. We left a giant pumpkin bucket full of candy with a sign asking that they be respectful and just take a reasonable amount. I’m curious to know if it was the very first group that took the whole thing, convenient carrying pumpkin bucket and all. 

We’ll never know......

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We've been talking about how to handle candy distribution.  Halloween a Big Deal in our neighborhood. Usually people bring firepits out, adults go from house to house visiting and snacking and drinking.   And being St Louis - kids better have a joke to tell, or perform something, if you want a treat.

Anyway, lots of uncertainties but thinking about clipping candy to a cord and stringing across front yard so kids could take off individual pieces and not have to reach into common bowl.  Could use  "caution tape" or "crime scene" tape for that Halloween vibe.  But unclear to me how many kids will come.

Our last house in Florida had the most amazing Halloweens I’ve ever seen. The club had 36 holes of golf, so a LOT of golf carts! Many people also owned their own, some with seats in back designed just for cruising. They would also bring in trucks full with additional golf carts. It was a special treat if you invited people in to join the festivities. The lots were big so the houses were too spread out to walk the whole thing, hence a better experience with wheels. 

I learned the first year that NOBODY will knock at your door. My bad, rookie mistake. People set up stations at the end of the driveway. One house might have candy bars, the next might have fajitas and margaritas. Our neighbor 3 doors up would have a taco station and a live band in the driveway. People would build “haunted houses” in their three car garages that they spent six months planning and building.  It was AWESOME! 

At a certain time everyone would head to the club and leave the streets deserted. It was spooky! But the club could hold two giant weddings at the same time. The only time it ever got TOO crowded was on Halloween.  DJ’s and costume contests! Amazing times! I miss that every year living here with old farts and a few kids getting shipped in looking for the full size candy bars. 

I think it actually helped us sell that house! 

Edited by Augie

Only think I can eat from a pumpkin are the seeds.  Roasted with salt and pepper.  I also have a sweet recipe that my daughter likes.

I can’t stand pumpkin flavored anything.  My wife brought home a pumpkin spice candle and I had to throw it out in the outside garbage can.  Almost made me hurl.

• Like (+1) 1

Had a chocolate chip pumpkin bread last weekend. Think banana bread consistency. Very delish. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Only think I can eat from a pumpkin are the seeds.  Roasted with salt and pepper.  I also have a sweet recipe that my daughter likes.

I can’t stand pumpkin flavored anything.  My wife brought home a pumpkin spice candle and I had to throw it out in the outside garbage can.  Almost made me hurl.

I’ll do pumpkin in the month of October and early November. But I do agree. The thought of it outside of the fall season would be odd, to say the least. 

pumpkin beers?

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Had a chocolate chip pumpkin bread last weekend. Think banana bread consistency. Very delish. 

I’ll do pumpkin in the month of October and early November. But I do agree. The thought of it outside of the fall season would be odd, to say the least. 

pumpkin beers?

🤢

We used to have kids in area and I used to hang a scarecrow with "Washington Football" jersey from a tree in front of yard near driveway where kids came in.

The jersey was left behind when we bought foreclosed house and looked like it was used for cleaning or something.

Occasionally I'd see kids hitting it with a stick.

Following year I put out scarecrow with same jersey and a straw hat standing on some wooden stumps.

About half way into Halloween night a kid (mid teens) hit the scarecrow with a stick and scarecrow jumped off picking up a rake leaning on tree and laughed,

Kids took off.

I took off costume and put it on the dummy I usually use and tied it to tree.

Saw the same kids come back with friends try to explain how the scarecrow got off stump.

Kids hit it with a stick and of course it did not move.  

Not many kids anymore with none last year and only a few year before.

2 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

pumpkin beers?

Have bought a few pumpkin beers in my time.  All were single bottles. All were interesting but did not repeat.  My wife still uses the pumpkin ale bottle which had a plug and metal wire contraption to keep plug in.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Interesting.  Do the spices used in pumpkin pie have the same impact on you without the pumpkin - ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg?  Can you eat spice cake or spice cookies or gingersnaps or gingerbread?

18 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Blech.  My gal brought home one of those.  They're even worse when you blow them out... it's an olfactory trap!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Interesting.  Do the spices used in pumpkin pie have the same impact on you without the pumpkin - ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg?  Can you eat spice cake or spice cookies or gingersnaps or gingerbread?

I like fresh ginger a lot, but spices like cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg are gross to me.  Maybe it’s a conditioned aversion thing, but I can’t remember what would be the precipitating incident.

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I like fresh ginger a lot, but spices like cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg are gross to me.  Maybe it’s a conditioned aversion thing, but I can’t remember what would be the precipitating incident.

OK, so partly it's the spices.  I make a killer spicy Thai coconut pumpkin soup.  Ever try something like that?  Galangal root, ginger root, lemongrass, hot peppers, coconut milk

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, so partly it's the spices.  I make a killer spicy Thai coconut pumpkin soup.  Ever try something like that?  Galangal root, ginger root, lemongrass, hot peppers, coconut milk

Why would you ruin something that sounds so delicious by putting pumpkin in it? 😂

5 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

You just named spices that mice and rats have an aversion to, so............

3 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Why would you ruin something that sounds so delicious by putting pumpkin in it? 😂

Well....I like pumpkin!

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

You just named spices that mice and rats have an aversion to, so............

Really?  You mean I can keep mice away from under my car hood and rats out of my garden by sprinkling spices around?  LFG!

19 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Usually eat and carve.  Always real. 

Used ta get kinda fancy on the carving before the kid left town. 

Candles except last year we took one to hospital for my mom, had LED battery light then.

Eat: pies, custards, cookies, savory soups, stuffed.  Always roast and scoop out for dishes using pulp.  Peeling, cubing and boiling huge waste of effort.

image.thumb.png.543cfefbf91a8e218695872f9858bd38.png

image.thumb.png.968e0c13714646c4e8ffa1abb0886389.png

I love the Pumpkin Masters carvings too. Haven't done that in a couple years.

Halloween is great.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.