What would you like to see be done here?

SDS

2 minutes ago, LB3 said:

Yet you don't look for him, psycho! 🤣

I found it funny that he was active in the UFO thread given his conspiracy stuff. That thread often rises to the top of OT so I see it more than others. 

Lighten up stalker. 

Just now, shoshin said:

I found it funny that he was active in the UFO thread given his conspiracy stuff. That thread often rises to the top of OT so I see it more than others. 

Lighten up stalker. 

Just so I have it straight believing in UFO's makes a person conspiracy minded?

3 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Lighten up stalker. 

Please be more civil. I just reported you.

1 minute ago, SDS said:

This is probably a bigger deal than the both of you are making if it.

Apologies. I don’t think he’s stalking me for real and I will stop saying it. Sorry to you for making light of it and sorry to LB3 for saying it. I really mean that. Stalking is serious and I should have picked a better word. 

1 minute ago, SDS said:

This is probably a bigger deal than the both of you are making if it.

I didn't report him. I didn't see a need to waste you (or your Mods) time. I'll bow out. I was just messing with him because he's...well, deserving.

Thanks for years of this great site!

This place was awesome back when Kelly and conner went at it with Darin and Joe and DC Tom called everyone idiots and the trolls got their asses blasted whenever they visited. 

Not sure what changed really. But I don’t think it’s just the “current state of political discourse.”  And I don’t think it’s all the Trump voters’ fault. 

Best thing might be to shut it down. I don’t think there’s any going back at this point and I don’t think Darin has the time or the patience to boot the agitators that insist on just stirring ***** with no perceivable objective other than to make everyone else’s day a little bit worse. Good posters up and quit posting which really sucks.

Other than appointing a PPP moderator to enforce the crusade rule (good luck finding one) shutting it down and letting people make their little clubs seems best. It also has the added benefit of eventually showing who actually wants to talk politics and who was just there to be a dick. 

my $.02 or thereabouts. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

A one or two week suspension would work well versus a ban.  I think that certain words are safe in implementing a suspension.  Calling someone a tard such as Q Baby has done should be suspendible without question.  The word tard or re-tard has no place here.  Keep branching out from there as needed.  Citing Hitler without rational context should be another easy suspension.  

But that would require someone to take those actions. Me? Someone else? That's low fruit. How high do we go? Does it matter if it is an agitator or a long time member?

I made member v member actions against someone for conduct that I thought was warranted, and I was told I should not have made because it was out of character for them. How does that get handled? They were suspended once and that suspension blew right by without a thought or a concern. 🤷‍♂️

16 minutes ago, LB3 said:

I didn't report him. I didn't see a need to waste you (or your Mods) time. I'll bow out. I was just messing with him because he's...well, deserving.

Thanks for years of this great site!

I know...

We are still here... 22 years later. Everyone has always been welcome regardless where you came from, BBI, BZ, BBMB, wherever.

1 hour ago, SDS said:

I know...

We are still here... 22 years later. Everyone has always been welcome regardless where you came from, BBI, BZ, BBMB, wherever.

I think you just need to revisit the reasons why you allowed PPP to exist in the first place.  I’d bet those reasons still hold true.

I’d also wager that the extra free time resulting from working at home and the lack of a regular sports calendar has contributed to a lot more activity on PPP (in addition to this being a Presidential election year).

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, snafu said:

I think you just need to revisit the reasons why you allowed PPP to exist in the first place.  I’d bet those reasons still hold true.

I’d also wager that the extra free time resulting from working at home and the lack of a regular sports calendar has contributed to a lot more activity on PPP (in addition to this being a Presidential election year).

1. If you could be more direct that would be helpful. lol Life here is muuuuuch different than 2002?. 

2. This is exactly the case and is evident in graphs. 

1 hour ago, snafu said:

Yep. Not much real football going on, an extremely heated political season (and let's face it, politics talk is kind of a substitute for sports talk), and work at home is why I started poking around here after years of ignoring it.

I tend to be interested in polls and political analysis -- punditry I guess -- and some posters here have interesting perspectives and expertise in areas I'm not so well versed in. So that's fun. 

If PPP were gone I don't think I'd go looking for a substitute as perhaps some defectors from TBD will do. That just strikes me as weird. PPP is here as an adjunct to a football fan site -- a really good one by the way -- so it's easy to move between football and politics. But I understand that PPP kind of sprung up organically rather than as some kind of grand plan that the combination Football Talk + Politics Talk is some kind of aging guy's nirvana (there are a few younger posters, but my sense is the median age here is higher than even I care to admit). 

So to answer SDS's question: great if you can keep it and keep it reasonably under control. If not, well, I'll survive.

Final thought: all of the people here agitating about repealing Section 230 -- what exactly do you think would happen if 230 were gone and the owners of a website could be sued for, oh, I don't know, some poster accusing a prominent person (or even a fellow poster) of being a pedophile with no evidence whatsoever? If you think outrageous/fringey thoughts are being stifled by Twitter/FB/Google, just wait to see how much they'll be stifled by a flurry of lawsuits against owners of web forums ...

Edited by The Frankish Reich

...IMO it is a very tough call SDS............the outside world drives PPP and it's very polarized with virtually no middle ground.......it is laced with hatred, foment, vitriol, deteriorating respect for opposing views, to the point where people are physically attacked or subjected to other forms of violence....haven't seen it this bad in years......unfortunately I don't see any quick fix....will things improve or get worse >Nov. 4?......don't know that either......quite a conundrum......sorry for not having suggestions...........

I come on here from time to time.  As an Independent, what I find coming here is an inability or unwillingness to have civil discourse.  To me the PPP is mostly a forum for primarily right wing individuals, and many of them do not really want to debate; they want to share their opinions with each other without being challenged.  There are a few from the other side of the aisle who have come in recently, and they go over the top too often.  

So to answer your question, I would abandon your current format and make the political stuff into clubs.  While in an ideal world we could have a part of TBD where honest and considered political debate could occur, it is clear that won't happen here.  It is a microcosm of our society where politics has devolved to a point where the fringe elements have the loudest voices, and those like me in the middle are left shaking our heads.  Making it into clubs would let those of similar minds support each other, regardless of how narrow minded their opinions.  From what I see here, that's really what folks on both sides of the political aisle want, so give it to them.  I'll stick to football.

9 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Just so I have it straight believing in UFO's makes a person conspiracy minded?

It makes them bad at math but not necessarily a conspiracy theorist.

Edit: Although often intertwined UFOs are not technically the issue with math.  The notion of intelligent aliens is the folly.

Edited by 4merper4mer

10 hours ago, SDS said:

My opinion is this:

1. We have the best Bills forum anywhere. Always have. I hope that continues. Right/left/black/white/green are all welcome here. 

2. I have my reservations about PPP and I am not able to fix political discourse. It has morphed into its own club. Usually when they happens, club members get annoyed with others.  It always happens. It has happened before and it will happen again. That's the life cycle of social groups. However, given the evolution as a group to being more clubby than open, I think moving it to a self-contained club makes total sense. It relieves a lot of pain points. I think it gives everyone what they want.

Threading that needle, in an open forum, is difficult. 

I understand how you arrived at this, but IMO it simply won't work.  Can you name the most frequented club on the board? I can't.  I can't name any club.  

That alone is meaningless but PPP serves a purpose beyond what has been discussed here.  IIRC it started or at least gained momentum when politics started being discussed on the main board.  Before long it became easy to say "take it to PPP" or simply transfer a thread.  At this point most people know from the get go.  With no PPP or ability to find a club, you seriously don't think someone will try to post something about all cops being terrorists after some controversial future event?  How does that work with clubs it no PPP?  Do you honestly think that in 2020 that won't happen?  I'd say it actually still does.  You have pretty clear rules about Covid on the main board but IMO people try to subtly work in partially political takes there.  I've been annoyed by some and sucked in.....sorry, I'm trying to not be sucked in.  Shut down this board and you'll be back to square 1.  It might not all come back day one, but it will come back to at least some extent.

I agree that it's difficult and I really don't think I know the answer but I'm being honest when I say I don't think the club thing will work long term and that removing PPP will ultimately harm the main board.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, shoshin said:

You've got your place to go.

That was always my argument: TBD would be better without PPP and the gang could go hang out anywhere. Looks like Foxx and some others started an invision board. Right now it appears to be a kumbaya fest. 

you gonna cry about it ?

everythings better without you 

Doesn't matter to me; I'm off to another site due to the fact that the "outlanders" have kidnapped this one.  They are entitled to post their "points of view"; I don't care for their points of view, nor their presentation methods, so as they are entitled to theirs, I'm exercising mine, adios PPP.

Edited by Keukasmallies
'cause no one really cares why
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1