Special Teams and Heath Farwell Loooooove

I started this thread in honor of various themes of "Defense sucks" threads after Tuesday's game and after listening to media interviews by Coach McD, Frazier, and Daboll.  Obviously the latter two get asked about their respective areas.

But McDermott doesn't seem to face proportionate questions Special teams.  I think they deserve more attention from our media. 

Likewise here: I haven't seen any threads calling for Heath Farwell to be fired. 

So here ya go: Against the Titans, at worst special teams put our D in a horrid position or turned the ball over, changing the score from defeat to humiliation. At best, they force us to start from a deficit to touchback yardage or a deep hole.

Putting our D in a horrid position: 2:14 left in 1Q, 57 yd punt to the Titans 30 returned 40 yds to the Buff 30.  Bojo made the tackle.

Context: The defense had just forced a 3-and-out, followed by a penalty-assisted 3 and out by the Bills.  The score was even-steven 7-7.  The 40 yd punt return had the Titans knocking on the door at the 30 yd line and led to a 2nd Titans TD 8 plays later, making it 14-7.

Key mistake in the game at a point where we were 100% in it.

Consistent problem: Field position on punt and kickoff returns. 

On kickoff returns, when Roberts brings it out, it's a good day when he manages to regain the field position he'd have if he just took a knee in the EZ.

Kickoff #1: Buff 20 (-5)

Kickoff #2: Buff 24 (-1)

Kickoff #3: end of half, Touchback (0)

Kickoff #4: Buff 22 (-3), 10 yd penalty to Buff 10

Kickoff #5: received at Buff 35, FUMBLE and loss of possession.  At this point in the game, we were basically playing for pride, but it turned it from a bad defeat into a humiliating rout.

Punt #1: -1 yd return, Buff 9

Punt #2: FC Buff 9

Punt #3: (start of 2nd half): Roberts backs off, Downed by Tenn at Buff 3

So there you have it.  Our ST put our D in a deep hole starting their defense on our own 30 yd line when the game was tied and turned the ball over.  They also forced our offense to start drives from 3, 9, 9 and 10 yds.  At best, we started with a deficit from the LOS after a touchback.

I think our ST has been sub-par for years but I put it out there:

Special Teams is the "undercover Turd" in the turd-laden punchbowl of the Titans loss and deserves more of our Football Fan Attention.

Bonus nit: Bojo's  inconsistent holds on FG and extra points.  Other holders manage to turn the laces.  WTF?

What's wrong, and how to fix it?  It clearly goes beyond Roberts: he must not be getting the blocking he needs to spring a return on punts and wound up forcing it (leading to the fumble).

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think you are dead right  the blame rests with Heath Farwell, I question his credentials last year and assumed he would improve.  The Special Teams play just further added on to the total Bill malaise they had through the entire game.  

And here we keep Andre Roberts as a special team returner and look at how terrible he played!

We saw the first evidence of that last year when the Pats blocked a punt for an easy TD, the play was destined for failure before it was snapped, way too many men to block.  Either special teams supposed ace Dimarco or Farwell should have called timeout before they snapped that ball, the block wasnt even close, multiple Pats could have blocked that.

And Bojo did boom some punts, that goes with his MO, at other times he will muff them badly.  He kicks them so far and in the middle of the field he outkicks our coverage, another special teams aspect for Farwell to work on.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

I've been calling for Bodork to be cut since he unilaterally called for a fake FG.  People in the GDT were blaming the gunners for not getting downfield on the 40-yard PR.  I blame Bodork for kicking it right down the middle of the field between the hashes.  That gives the PR man every option.  You must punt outside the numbers.  His 72 yard punt was an example of a well-placed punt outside the numbers.  Unfortunately those are few and far between.  Last week he kicked two balls straight up the field and out the EZ for touchbacks.  I'm so done with him.

I'm willing to give Bass the benefit of the doubt.  It's clear from Hau$ch's performance in TB that he's either done, or is injured and can't perform right now.  So Bass is it for us, for better or worse.  It doesn't help that Bodork can't spin the ball to place the laces.  If you're a holder, how do you not get that done, THREE YEARS IN!!!???  Bottom line, you get rid of Bodork, you've solved your punting and holding problems. 

For the return game, Andre Roberts just had a really bad day at the office.  He's been stellar in the first 4 games, so I'm willing to cut him some slack, he's earned it.  I'm hoping ST just had their worst game of the season, and I'm hopeful they will get back on track.  Time will tell.

And the number of better players that either are left of roster or game day inactives, but a priority in Special teams and the coverage units are still bad.  You also have a kicker that can kick it to the moon and still do short kickoffs.

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I started this thread in honor of various themes of "Defense sucks" threads after Tuesday's game and after listening to media interviews by Coach McD, Frazier, and Daboll.  Obviously the latter two get asked about their respective areas.

But McDermott doesn't seem to face proportionate questions Special teams.  I think they deserve more attention from our media. 

Likewise here: I haven't seen any threads calling for Heath Farwell to be fired. 

So here ya go: Against the Titans, at worst special teams put our D in a horrid position or turned the ball over, changing the score from defeat to humiliation. At best, they force us to start from a deficit to touchback yardage or a deep hole.

Putting our D in a horrid position: 2:14 left in 1Q, 57 yd punt to the Titans 30 returned 40 yds to the Buff 30.  Bojo made the tackle.

Context: The defense had just forced a 3-and-out, followed by a penalty-assisted 3 and out by the Bills.  The score was even-steven 7-7.  The 40 yd punt return had the Titans knocking on the door at the 30 yd line and led to a 2nd Titans TD 8 plays later, making it 14-7.

Key mistake in the game at a point where we were 100% in it.

Consistent problem: Field position on punt and kickoff returns. 

On kickoff returns, when Roberts brings it out, it's a good day when he manages to regain the field position he'd have if he just took a knee in the EZ.

Kickoff #1: Buff 20 (-5)

Kickoff #2: Buff 24 (-1)

Kickoff #3: end of half, Touchback (0)

Kickoff #4: Buff 22 (-3), 10 yd penalty to Buff 10

Kickoff #5: received at Buff 35, FUMBLE and loss of possession.  At this point in the game, we were basically playing for pride, but it turned it from a bad defeat into a humiliating rout.

Punt #1: -1 yd return, Buff 9

Punt #2: FC Buff 9

Punt #3: (start of 2nd half): Roberts backs off, Downed by Tenn at Buff 3

So there you have it.  Our ST put our D in a deep hole starting their defense on our own 30 yd line when the game was tied and turned the ball over.  They also forced our offense to start drives from 3, 9, 9 and 10 yds.  At best, we started with a deficit from the LOS after a touchback.

I think our ST has been sub-par for years but I put it out there:

Special Teams is the "undercover Turd" in the turd-laden punchbowl of the Titans loss and deserves more of our Football Fan Attention.

Bonus nit: Bojo's  inconsistent holds on FG and extra points.  Other holders manage to turn the laces.  WTF?

What's wrong, and how to fix it?  It clearly goes beyond Roberts: he must not be getting the blocking he needs to spring a return on punts and wound up forcing it (leading to the fumble).

Brett Kern is one of the best punters in the league, the guy booms them.  From a return perspective - stop taking them out unless you see something.  I think the drop had roberts thinking he had to make a play to counteract it... and he fumbled too.  Just a brutal game for him. 

BoJo had a great game punting.  The 40 yard return was on the coverage team imo.  He didn't out kick it, it should've been closer to a fair catch the hangtime was so good.  The gunner who got there first struggled to get off his block and the other gunner was really late.   He also flipped the field completely on a punt.  

FG holds do bother me but i also wonder if its being spun wrong by the LS.  They all need to get on the same page.  You don't want to have to turn the laces, you want to catch and put it down. 

Edited by dneveu

15 minutes ago, boco357 said:

And the number of better players that either are left of roster or game day inactives, but a priority in Special teams and the coverage units are still bad.  You also have a kicker that can kick it to the moon and still do short kickoffs.

75% touchback percentage which is 11th in the league at the moment.  Here are the non TBs and starting Field positions.

Jets - All TBs but the 2 below
9 yard line - kicked to 2
14 yard line - was a TB that was run out
Miami - All TBs
Rams - All TBs except a squib kick with 15 seconds left
Raiders - 
16 yard line - kicked to the 4
38 yard line - Kicked to the 3
Titans 
19 yard line - kicked to the 6
12 yard line - kicked to the 2

• Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, dneveu said:

FG holds do bother me but i also wonder if its being spun wrong by the LS.  They all need to get on the same page.  You don't want to have to turn the laces, you want to catch and put it down. 

Correct, but at the same time the LS will not always spin it precisely correctly.

Other holders for do manage to turn the laces.  It's not too big an "ask"

• Awesome! (+1) 1

i agree, our special teams are cheeks.

unrealiable punts and coverage, bojack messing up holding the ball, and foolish returns leading to penalties, fumbles, etc.

our punt return has been good this year, but they shizzat the bed on tuesday (well, the returner did, maybe not on punts).

Special teams coordinators are meaningless. They are meaningless when times are good and when times are bad.  

Roberts is a fine punt returner.  He makes good decisions on fielding the ball.  I do agree with OP that almost always if the ball is kicked in the EZ he should not bring the kickoff out. 

The concern should be that the Bills waste roster spots on guys that only play special teams.  We have a LB on the roster that is not good enough to play LB.  Why? A single  sixth WR that is a gunner or a back end of the roster DB as a gunner would be fine but nothing more than that.  

39 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Special teams coordinators are meaningless. They are meaningless when times are good and when times are bad. 

I guess that would be why John Harbaugh said this:

image.thumb.png.25b5a378644c249ffebd5e7e68ee593d.png

And Marv Levy said this:

image.thumb.png.ac761ee637669c4a3a3b2cee6aa69ad2.png

No question it helped the Titans a lot that the Bills had drive starts at the 9, 9, and 3 yd line thanks to their ST.

No question it helped the Titans a lot that the Bils ST gifted them a start on the 30 yd line. 

The game was pretty much out of reach at the point where Roberts fumbled on a KR, but that surely iced it.

It seems to me the ST coordinator is supposed to coach the coverage and return teams to avoid this *****.

Even small details like Bojo being unable to turn the laces could cost us

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I guess that would be why John Harbaugh said this:

image.thumb.png.25b5a378644c249ffebd5e7e68ee593d.png

And Marv Levy said this:

image.thumb.png.ac761ee637669c4a3a3b2cee6aa69ad2.png

No question it helped the Titans a lot that the Bills had drive starts at the 9, 9, and 3 yd line thanks to their ST.

No question it helped the Titans a lot that the Bils ST gifted them a start on the 30 yd line. 

The game was pretty much out of reach at the point where Roberts fumbled on a KR, but that surely iced it.

It seems to me the ST coordinator is supposed to coach the coverage and return teams to avoid this *****.

Even small details like Bojo being unable to turn the laces could cost us

My point is Bobby April has had top units and bottom ranked units. The concepts are very basic especially with the rule changes. 

So praising of blaming the coordinator is useless.

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

My point is Bobby April has had top units and bottom ranked units. The concepts are very basic especially with the rule changes. 

So praising of blaming the coordinator is useless.

Yeah, well, I'd settle for a bottom-ranked unit that Does Its Job to the extent of avoiding embarrassing gaffes.

And I put it out there evidence is mounting Heath Farwell does not seem able to achieve that thing.

Roberts fumble was a backbreaking play. Toss in his mis-catch on the 1st possession put a bad taste in my mouth towards him for the game but he has been good most of the season. So I'm not going to bring out the pitchforks. Bojo as a holder though. Twice he's done Bass dirty yet thankfully he didn't miss the laces in FG. Honestly I don't see why we can't get someone else to be the holder. As a punter he's been inconsistent but seems good this season so far. I can't comment on coverage except we all know the Titans punt return hurt.

6 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Roberts fumble was a backbreaking play. Toss in his mis-catch on the 1st possession put a bad taste in my mouth towards him for the game but he has been good most of the season. So I'm not going to bring out the pitchforks. Bojo as a holder though. Twice he's done Bass dirty yet thankfully he didn't miss the laces in FG. Honestly I don't see why we can't get someone else to be the holder. As a punter he's been inconsistent but seems good this season so far. I can't comment on coverage except we all know the Titans punt return hurt.

TBT I think the game was over before the Roberts fumble, and it resulted from him trying to be heroic and break one.

The big ST damage IMHO was the 40 yd punt return we gave up in the 1st half, with a tied score 7-7

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

TBT I think the game was over before the Roberts fumble, and it resulted from him trying to be heroic and break one.

The big ST damage IMHO was the 40 yd punt return we gave up in the 1st half, with a tied score 7-7

I agree not to mention Butler's run back on Allen's second INT. Ugly game all around hopefully we don't see a game like that again all season.

9 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Completely agree. To be fair, ST has been very good weeks 1-4

They were absolutely brutal vs Tenn

JerseyBills - I'm not sure your memory of our ST play is quite correct

Week #1 vs Jets - missed 2 FG and others barely inside right upright

Week #2 vs Miami - a number of short punts, including a short punt + a return which gave Miami a drive start at Buffalo 44 yd line

Bills also had three drives starting at their own 3, 6, and 1 yd line while averaging 41 yds on 4 punts.  (Mia ave 52 yds)

Week #3 vs Rams - I'll give you this.  The Rams didn't punt, but Roberts had a nice return on a kickoff and Bojo averaged 58 yds on 2 punts - though this was 44 and 72 yds

Week #4 vs Raiders - again, reasonable game with a nice return by Roberts, though Bojo averaged 46  yds on 3 punts (Raiders ave 57 yds)

They weren't absolutely brutal as you correctly note they were vs. Tenn, but I don't see how one can call them "very good", either, esp week 1-2.