AJ Epenesa weight loss

Just now, zow2 said:

cant speak about Epenesa. but i was on the field once for pregame and i’ve never seen a smaller waisted human than aaron maybin. he fit right in with the WRs . i swear he must’ve had a 28” waist back then 

I wear a 30''.  Do you want me to send you a pic of my waist to see if it looks about the same size as Maybin's?

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I feel like his game is supposed to be power, and I've heard analysis saying they think his problem right now is he needs to get stronger. So I really don't understand the weight loss. He looks slight out there.

At a guess, they want him to slim down and train for speed, then add some muscle to train for power.

But that's just a total guess.

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Honestly I think he looks like an LB.

Is he meant to be the LORAX replacement?

That's kind of the implication of the "slim down, train for speed, then build up muscle" recipe.

Lorax converted successfully from DL to LB

But

He had a real head for the pro game as well

Epenesa TBD

An AJ breakout is just what we need. But he'll be in the dog house for a bit for jumping Offside.

But I want him to get more playing time. He has actually flashed a couple times for me and I still have confidence he can be an effective edge rusher.

SOMEONE needs to get pressure on the QB.

• Like (+1) 4

54 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I wear a 30''.  Do you want me to send you a pic of my waist to see if it looks about the same size as Maybin's?

I was a 31' In my playing days , I've been sending pics of my waist to maybin for years and he's never replied 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's kind of the implication of the "slim down, train for speed, then build up muscle" recipe.

Lorax converted successfully from DL to LB

But

He had a real head for the pro game as well

Epenesa TBD

The first game he played and I saw him in there I had no clue who he was and was shocked when I found out it was him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

glad you started a thread about this. He was not recognizable out there. I was actually expecting him to be a beefier 3-4 DE, like a Cam Heyward. 

I am wondering if they are thinking of shifting him to a hybrid LB at this point. 

MLB??  could solve that issue

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Right now every snap I have seen he has been at DE with hand in the ground.  If the want him to be a strong side LB then it was foolish of them to use a 2nd round pick.   In this defense the strong side LB is on the field maybe 25% of the time.  They play two LB's or less 75% of the time.  

I dunno about strong side LB, but if they want him to be a Lorax equivalent (whatever you'd call him): Lorax was on the field close to 60% of the snaps for the last 2 years on D and 50% of ST.  Low of 27% and high of 100%.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I dunno about strong side LB, but if they want him to be a Lorax equivalent (whatever you'd call him): Lorax was on the field close to 60% of the snaps for the last 2 years on D and 50% of ST.  Low of 27% and high of 100%.

I will be honest I don't know if he was on either kickoff or kick return team.  

Lorax played some stand up LB for both Rex and McD. I think he got most of his defensive snaps at DE # 4, but if I recall correclty he moved up and down th eline and ligned up at DT once or twice a game.  

If the Bills plan with AJ is to slim him down and turn him into prototype end then...Well...I think they Drafted the wrong guy.

AJ's success in College was not prototype anything. He's a technician...He got things done by being smarter, real good with his hands, and never wasting a step. I do think there was a power aspect as well, but not in a bull-rush kind of way...More leverage...He's a very different-type of DE, but I did feel he was a good choice to replace Shaq because AJ was a little bigger and in time would prove to be excellent vs the run and setting the edge. Which was the path Shaq took before he eventually became a decent, albeit less than spectacular pass rusher.

I don't know...It's way to early to tell...I do think AJ will figure things out...He came in very polished in areas where some players never get...😎