Last Night was 1991 week 6 in KC Revisited

Lenigmusx

3 hours ago, Lenigmusx said:

In 1991 the second of two consecutive 13-3 seasons a dominant Bills squad rode in to KC on Monday night. They got pummeled 33-6 and it was a prime time embarrassment. It was a beat down in every sense. Very much like last night was. However, it led to a run of victories and a change in team attitude that refocused their drive, desire and goal. That is how last night felt to me when I went to bed. I know I’m an old bastard but I remember my high school friends Tomahawking and singing the KC fight song as I came into to school that Tuesday. I live near Albany NY and many hated the Bills back then. Anyway that is my knee jerk reaction. If they can prove it Monday then I will feel much better. I will not hang last night on Josh Allen like the national media though. He wasn’t great but the walls were crumbling around him. 

Meh, me, moo, maaa. I imagine we are very similar in age. That game sucked, but I do appreciate you firing the neuron that made me remember it.

I see things a bit differently. I mean sometimes teams just take a beatdown and it can be for a lot of reasons.

That KC game, teams didn't win very often at Arrowhead and that crowd made it impossible on us. It was like an avalanche from start to finish. That win did focus us, I will agree with that.

As far as the Titans game, the defense was completely undermanned. This defense has not looked good in general and really not looked good with Edmunds, Milano, or Tre out, and if it was 2 of 3 lord help us. Then you had a more motivated Titans team in my opinion. We had KC in a week, battle of undefeated teams, SB champs. Sure Tennessee was/is undefeated but KC will have anybody looking ahead to some extent. Then worse, the Titans got dogged pretty much for 14 days on the media and they all saw it in the confines of Covid quarantine.  Dogged over not following safety protocols, dogged because they wouldn't be prepared. They played us like we were KC.

Most teams are not mature enough to overcome these types of things or if they do, it's only because they're THAT good. See KC vs Chargers Week 2 prior to KC playing Baltimore for a good example.  Tennessee is a very good team. Not a game we could have won without 100% focus and most of our stars and we had neither. 

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Buftex said:

First, let me state, I am not paniced by the Titans game.  I know the Bills are better than they showed last night.  However, at the same time, it is kind of silly to be comparing them to the 1991 Bills.  Everybody wants to draw these comparisons to the "glory days' of the 1990's.  I get it, those were great times.  But, if you really feel the need to compare the two eras (which I don't see), this current squad would be closer in their development, to the 1988 or 1989 Bills teams.  If you recall, the 1988 Bills started out 4-0, and got slaughtered by the Bears on the road, in week 5.  They went on to win 8 of their last 11 games that year, for a record of 12-4. They lost to the Bengals in the AFC Championship game.  I could live with a result like that...

It just shows you that a great team can take an ass kicking sometimes. A not yet great team taking an ass whipping isn’t a forecast for the future.

Good teams get whipped in this league.

As terrible as they played they were still in the game late into the 3rd quarter.

We shall see how they respond.

Response is an important telling sign.

Edited by dlonce
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

I remember that KC game and the thanksgiving massacre in Detroit in 1994 as being the worst non playoff national games that the SB teams played in. Last night was a mild flashback to those games. The big difference for me though is that those games were much more of a shock because the SB Bills teams were so stacked with talent. The KC game especially was a shocking comprehensive beat down of one the best teams in NFL history. We are getting very deluded if we think the current squad is anywhere near the talent of the SB years. 

Don't forget the Dallas MNF game in the national embarrassment list

Maybe we were deluded as to how much talent those SB teams had. In comparison to other AFC teams, sure, but in the end not close to the best of the NFC.  And it is the same issue again. Finesse versus power.  Bills are finesse and dare I say soft at the point of attack.  No different than the SB years.  The big difference is the defense had Bruce Smith who could wreck a game plan by himself.  

Difference is that the 1991 Bills had the historically bad Indianapolis Colts on deck after the KC massacre, while the 2020 Bills get the defending SB Champs coming off a loss themselves.

This is where the fans of today catch their fans eyre. The Bills laid an egg right when their next opponent isn't the pathetic 1991 Indianapolis Colts waiting for them, it's Mahomes. 

Big difference there. 

The 1991 Bills weren't going to let one bad loss snowball when the schedule eased up considerably for them. The 2020 Bills schedule doesn't appear to be as forgiving and the 2020 Bills don't have a Thurman Thomas to lean on when things go bad.

Another big difference.

We will see what kind of heart this team has moving forward.

Edited by njbuff

11 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

I remember that KC game and the thanksgiving massacre in Detroit in 1994 as being the worst non playoff national games that the SB teams played in. Last night was a mild flashback to those games. The big difference for me though is that those games were much more of a shock because the SB Bills teams were so stacked with talent. The KC game especially was a shocking comprehensive beat down of one the best teams in NFL history. We are getting very deluded if we think the current squad is anywhere near the talent of the SB years. 

That Detroit, that was after their 4th super bowl, that team was definitely on the down swing and that game showed it.  I remember I was in Nevada visiting mky cousins that Thanksgiving.  I remember we had a whole bunch of cousins watching the game.  I couldn't believe how they were bad mouthing Kelly.  They thought he sucked.   Which was a different perspective than one on WNY, where for the most part everybody thought he was  really good.  I was taken a back by it.  

The big difference between 1991 and 2020 teams:  The 1991 team had several proven stars and leadership on offense defense and special teams, and 1991 team could destroy you with a lethal running game.

Edited by Azucho98

12 hours ago, Buftex said:

First, let me state, I am not paniced by the Titans game.  I know the Bills are better than they showed last night.  However, at the same time, it is kind of silly to be comparing them to the 1991 Bills.  Everybody wants to draw these comparisons to the "glory days' of the 1990's.  I get it, those were great times.  But, if you really feel the need to compare the two eras (which I don't see), this current squad would be closer in their development, to the 1988 or 1989 Bills teams.  If you recall, the 1988 Bills started out 4-0, and got slaughtered by the Bears on the road, in week 5.  They went on to win 8 of their last 11 games that year, for a record of 12-4. They lost to the Bengals in the AFC Championship game.  I could live with a result like that...

That's a really good insight and I'm one of the people who talks about the "glory" years.  For me I consider those to be 88 thru the SB runs.  The 88 and 89 teams had most of the pieces of the SB teams but just hadn't quite jelled yet.  But boy, that 88 season, after the dark times of the mid 80's was really fantastic.  

• Like (+1) 2

I think comparisons to the 'glory years' are inevitable.  This is the only blip of success the franchise has really had in the Super Bowl era other than that.  This would be the only time other than those teams the team qualifies for the playoffs 3 of 4 seasons.  The Bills have won 1 Division title without Jim Kelly.  

With that said, I was saying last year it reminded me of 1988.  Good team, propelled by defense, but not quite ready yet.  This season might be very comparable to 1989 in its development.  By that measure, next year if they take another step, they would stand solidly in the top 1-4 teams in the NFL which would certainly be 1990-1991.  

14 hours ago, Lenigmusx said:

In 1991 the second of two consecutive 13-3 seasons a dominant Bills squad rode in to KC on Monday night. They got pummeled 33-6 and it was a prime time embarrassment. It was a beat down in every sense. Very much like last night was. However, it led to a run of victories and a change in team attitude that refocused their drive, desire and goal. That is how last night felt to me when I went to bed. I know I’m an old bastard but I remember my high school friends Tomahawking and singing the KC fight song as I came into to school that Tuesday. I live near Albany NY and many hated the Bills back then. Anyway that is my knee jerk reaction. If they can prove it Monday then I will feel much better. I will not hang last night on Josh Allen like the national media though. He wasn’t great but the walls were crumbling around him. 

Yup! I was a season ticket holder for the entire Super Bowl era and even that team laid some pretty bad eggs 

1 hour ago, chaccof said:

That's a really good insight and I'm one of the people who talks about the "glory" years.  For me I consider those to be 88 thru the SB runs.  The 88 and 89 teams had most of the pieces of the SB teams but just hadn't quite jelled yet.  But boy, that 88 season, after the dark times of the mid 80's was really fantastic.  

I think that magical era kind of started on Halloween of 1987, when they made the big trade for Cornelius Bennett.  That was kind of the missing piece.  They were a markedly better defense, pretty much from Bennett's first game on.  That move helped Bruce Smith start to reach his enormous potential too.  1988 was amazing!  A lot of low-scoring, defensive wins, with just enough scoring. 1989 was a bit of a hiccup, even though they made the playoffs. I guess one similarity to this years squad is that the defense was upper tier prior to the Super Bowl years, but kind of slid back in the pack, when the offense started scoring more points. That playoff game (the loss to the Browns in the wildcard) was the birth of the "K-Gun".  Good times!

Edited by Buftex

49 minutes ago, F.W. Cyclone said:

Yup! I was a season ticket holder for the entire Super Bowl era and even that team laid some pretty bad eggs 

I had seasons from 1980 through the 1987 season... I got out just in time to avoid the best years! :)   Though, seriously, 1980 and 1981 were pretty fantastic too!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gordio said:

That Detroit, that was after their 4th super bowl, that team was definitely on the down swing and that game showed it.  I remember I was in Nevada visiting mky cousins that Thanksgiving.  I remember we had a whole bunch of cousins watching the game.  I couldn't believe how they were bad mouthing Kelly.  They thought he sucked.   Which was a different perspective than one on WNY, where for the most part everybody thought he was  really good.  I was taken a back by it.  

Ugh I took a bus with a bunch of Bills Backers members from Columbus OH to that game. Detroit ran a successful flea flicker on the first drive maybe even the first play. And it was downhill from there.