Big Tech/Social Media Censorship. Musk: Blackmailing Advertisers Can ***** Off.

13 hours ago, 716er said:

Agree with this.

Twitter is the worst thing that has come out of the internet.

Why all of a sudden is twitter the worst thing on the internet? 
Was it the worst thing a month ago? Three years ago?

Why all of a sudden did you have a change of heart?

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Westside said:

Why all of a sudden is twitter the worst thing on the internet? 
Was it the worst thing a month ago? Three years ago?

Why all of a sudden did you have a change of heart?

Never had a Twitter. Never will.

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

There's some irony in that Musk relied on a 465 million dollar loan in a Democrat led House and Senate in 2009 to make Tesla what it is today.  Something he wouldn't have received if Republicans were in control.  Now he's being celebrated by Republicans for buying a company they believe unfairly censor them and his libertarian streak is making the crazy left like King freak out.  I'm happy he bought it as his focus on promoting free speech is the right one whether it's his primary motive or not.  My main concern is you have an authoritarian billionaire who buys these popular social media platforms and cracks down on any users who don't agree with their politics.

I'm happy he bought it as he's an advocate of free speech.  Imagine if an authoritarian anti free speech billionaire bought twitter instead of Musk.  That's my long term concern.

I'd say that almost all of Musk's business ventures depend on taxpayer subsidies, credits, or direct government payments in one way or another.  But I do think his purchase is good for the free and fair exchange or ideas and opinions on the platform.  I'm just wondering how the authoritarian establishment and their supporters are going to address the threat to their monopoly on thinking?  The potential that Twitter users will likely be able to exchange ideas without every idea and opinion being measured and judged against some official narrative or group preference of thought must be frightening to them all. 

One thing for certain they'll be generating lots of panic over the dangers that free speech poses to society.  Which is comical and a complete misrepresentation of their real concern.  What they want to say is anyone that disagrees with me should continue to be silenced,

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Westside said:

Why all of a sudden is it so bad? I didn’t ask if you had a twitter account.

I agree with 6er to a point here.  Maybe not the dramatic declaration of “worst internet thing evaaaaah”, but it’s pretty bad.  

The way I see it, I don’t walk down the street, knocking on doors and asking my neighbors what they think about life, politics, and everything else.  For some reason though, Twitter is used as some sage with its pulse on humanity and our collective opinion on whatever hot issue of the day is.  

It’s manipulative, manipulatable, ugly, and is simply a product you can buy, or pass upon.  Like most products, it’s not all bad, but bad enough for me to pass. 

@Doc Brown relates his fears above, but being a natural cynic, I think the ship already sailed on authoritarian billionaires and multi-millionaires not all the interested in “free speech” or free exchange of ideas, but exceedingly interested in pretending to do so.  

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I agree with 6er to a point here.  Maybe not the dramatic declaration of “worst internet thing evaaaaah”, but it’s pretty bad.  

The way I see it, I don’t walk down the street, knocking on doors and asking my neighbors what they think about life, politics, and everything else.  For some reason though, Twitter is used as some sage with its pulse on humanity and our collective opinion on whatever hot issue of the day is.  

It’s manipulative, manipulatable, ugly, and is simply a product you can buy, or pass upon. 

@Doc Brown relates his fears above, but being a natural cynic, I think the ship already sailed on authoritarian billionaires and multi-millionaires not all the interested in “free speech” or free exchange of ideas, but exceedingly interested in pretending to do so.  

Well, just having one opinion being allowed. Like it’s been the past 5 years is a lot more manipulative than Musk buying twitter. 

I’m curious if you think the same of Facebook and YouTube. Two very large media outlets that silence opposing views?

I’m just curious to know why is twitter all of a sudden the worst thing ever? Any left wing liberal here is free to answer.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

There's some irony in that Musk relied on a 465 million dollar loan in a Democrat led House and Senate in 2009 to make Tesla what it is today.  Something he wouldn't have received if Republicans were in control.  Now he's being celebrated by Republicans for buying a company they believe unfairly censor them and his libertarian streak is making the crazy left like King freak out.  I'm happy he bought it as his focus on promoting free speech is the right one whether it's his primary motive or not.  My main concern is you have an authoritarian billionaire who buys these popular social media platforms and cracks down on any users who don't agree with their politics.

I'm happy he bought it as he's an advocate of free speech.  Imagine if an authoritarian anti free speech billionaire bought twitter instead of Musk.  That's my long term concern.

Why wouldn’t Republican’s given Musk a loan? 

46 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

It’s manipulative, manipulatable, ugly, and is simply a product you can buy, or pass upon.  Like most products, it’s not all bad, but bad enough for me to pass. 

Less than 10% of people with internet use twitter.

Less than 10% of twitter users produce 90% of the content on twitter.

If you look at it like that you'll have a much easier time digesting twitter takes. 

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Westside said:

Well, just having one opinion being allowed. Like it’s been the past 5 years is a lot more manipulative than Musk buying twitter. 

I’m curious if you think the same of Facebook and YouTube. Two very large media outlets that silence opposing views?

I’m just curious to know why is twitter all of a sudden the worst thing ever? Any left wing liberal here is free to answer.

I use Fb to connect with people—family, friends and old friends.   I’m on a couple hobby pages.  I feel the same way about attitudes and opinions shared there on hot button issues, and have deleted some people on the down-low when their content became obnoxious enough for me to take action.  

I do not engage there on political beliefs for a variety of reasons, most notably, I’m just another neighbor on the street and that’s not a format I enjoy speaking on. 

You Tube…I’m a fan of the educational content there.  I am a budding woodworking enthusiast of late, and find the content available pretty cool.  

I guess Westie, I’m just trying to figure it all

out like everyone else.  I don’t trust easily, but I’m all for a robust discussion on many topics.   It doesn’t come as surprise to me that You Tube, Fb or Twitter, Google skew information one way or the other.  When all is said and done, in situations like these, something is always being sold to a consumer.  I try and take what I can and stay away from the negative that comes with it.  

I agree that the sudden concern by leftists that Twitter will no longer be their exclusive stomping grounds (if that comes to pass) is interesting in a funny way.  But, it’s nothing new.  

8 minutes ago, LeviF said:

If you look at it like that you'll have a much easier time digesting twitter takes. 

95% of me has no desire to do that, and the other 10% is a notorious procrastinator and bad at math.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, 716er said:

Bezos versus Musk? Can they please take out each other.

This Musk hate from the libs is so microcosmic of this hypocrisy and lack of real principles.

Here you have an African American who built himself into great success, despite being in the autism spectrum, he’s pioneered technology to move highways underground, mainstreamed the electric car  and is a champion of free speech putting his money where his mouth is…. 

But despite all of that he’s an enemy of the establishment so “bad”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LeviF said:

Perhaps, but when you combine Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and all the corporate media sans Fox responding in unison to censor at worst and dismiss as "Russian disinformation" at best a story (hunter's laptop) that was very real right before an election, that is massive and corrupt influence. 

Twitter is the smallest of the big tech behemoths, but getting just one that isn't in the tank for the far left and censorship is a huge win regardless.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, DRsGhost said:

Perhaps, but when you combine Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and all the corporate media sans Fox responding in unison to censor at worst and dismiss as "Russian disinformation" at best a story (hunter's laptop) that was very real right before an election, that is massive and corrupt influence. 

Twitter is the smallest of the big tech behemoths, but getting just one that isn't in the tank for the far left and censorship is a huge win regardless.

Sans Fox? lol

• Haha (+1) 1

• BillsFanNC changed the title to Big Tech / Social Media Censorship : Some Hope As Elon Musk Buys Twitter
3 hours ago, DRsGhost said:

Hey, where's that Section 230 repeal bill when you need it!

#HoistByHisOwnPetard