Big Tech/Social Media Censorship. Musk: Blackmailing Advertisers Can ***** Off.

29 minutes ago, TSOL said:

So cancel history to spare your tender vittles. One of the epic literary classics of the ages to protect your sensitive feelings. 

Not to mention the hypocritical aspect of you calling the right the book ban people. 

Keep posting If you want but you're digging your hole deeper and deeper by the minute. 

Ban this too? He uses the N word. 

How many books did the cult ban this year?

Please tell us 

20 minutes ago, TSOL said:

You know it's in large part human nature to want to be told what to do. 

Nope.

You felt the need to jump in on a question (not posed to you) to defend your keepers (you always do this) - since you got in the middle of a comment I made to Doc - you will need to address my question first.

Lets go tough guy or gal 

4 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Nope.

You felt the need to jump in on a question (not posed to you) to defend your keepers (you always do this) - since you got in the middle of a comment I made to Doc - you will need to address my question first.

Lets go tough guy or gal 

Wait, what was the question? 

9 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

My thoughts are he only bought Twitter to expose these things.  It’s likely going to get real ugly. 

Apple and Google are said to be threatening removal of Twitter from their app stores unless Musk restores some version of censorship which meets the approval of those two companies.  One potential response might be ant-trust or anti-competitive lawsuits which would expose the inner workings of those corporations in a court setting. 

On Friday Musk also suggested one alternative would be for his company to "build" their own version of the iPhone minus all the spyware and snooping apps used by Google and Apple stating "how hard could that be?"  An alternative device that offers the same features absent tracking your every move might appeal to a large percentage of the population.    

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Tucker Carlson advertiser update (I'm watching right now ... I've missed some of these new ones):

- The New Believer's Bible

- My Slippers from My Pillow

- Recti Care Advanced

- Tommy Copper Shoulder Support Shirt

If I didn't know better I would guess that the median Tucker viewer is a 78 year old man with a bad shoulder and hemorrhoids who shuffles around the house in oversized slippers and worries about whether there's still time to repent for his egregious past behavior.

Like I said, Elon: new advertisers! 

This is from 2021, so perhaps a bit dated in the world of cable newsformation shows.  

https://ci-magazine.com/home/explaining-tucker-carlsons-democratic-demographic

“These numbers only account for October but reveal that Fox News’ and Carlson’s sizable audiences are not that easy to define.”

“Some Carlson viewers may identify as Democrats, but are more right-leaning — or may agree with some of Carlson’s opinions — whether they have been disillusioned by COVID and government’s response or disagree with ‘woke culture,’ — concerned about movements like ‘defund the police,’ etc. Additionally, there is spillover from earlier Fox News programming with more fact-based reporting, and some may be frustrated by programming on other networks.” 

From earlier this month, there’s this report:

https://www.mediaite.com/daily-ratings/cable-news-ratings-wednesday-november-2-tucker-carlson-wins-demo-by-more-than-100000-viewers/

Tucker Carlson scored a whopping 583,000 viewers in the key 25-54 age demographic on Wednesday night.

People are complicated, Frankish, but this is why a guy talking for an hour a night, offering opinions from the mundane to the outrageous, ends up being paid $40m per year and have a net worth of $500,000,000+.    

While very little of my criticism of Musk buying Twitter has been about content moderation, something to keep in mind when seeing news about advertisers pulling out of Twitter is that, for social media companies, the users, the content they create, and therefore, the content moderation policies, are the product.

The content moderation policies define the content that will be allowed on the site and that in turn is used to entice advertisers to the site. Since most brands are small-c conservative, the more bland and boring the content is, the less reluctant they will be to put their branding around it. On the other extreme, in a wild west of no moderation, you end up with something like 4Chan or 8Chan with an unending stream of racism, vitriol, and violent language. For most social media companies, the goal is to draw the line somewhere between Club Penguin and 8Chan. Give your users freedom to post but keep the content clean enough to avoid chasing away advertisers. Different people will have different ideas on where to draw the line, and that's fine. Different sites will draw it differently, it's mostly a matter of opinion.

I think one of the issues that Twitter is currently experiencing is that Musk is talking as if he wants to go the 8Chan route, but Twitter is still suspending tweets and accounts, so there is confusion on what is actually the new content moderation policy. Companies like GM aren't going to want to see their logo next to a bunch of posts with the n-word in them, so they suspended their ad buys. Of course, if the content moderation policy is made more clear and Twitter enforces it, GM might come back on. Or maybe they won't. That's up to them, because we live in a capitalist economy.

If Musk had moved more slowly and deliberately, clearly defining the new moderation policy and demonstrating that he had the ability to enforce it, he likely wouldn't be having these problems, even if he loosened up the moderation to appease those on the Right. By moving fast and breaking things in an established company with existing contracts and relationships, he's shot himself in the foot. He may still recover, but this isn't some grand conspiracy, it's just the obvious consequences of his words and actions.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

Oh I bet it's like buying a hoarders home and going through the attic.  "Holy *****!  Here's another box full of interesting *****!!"

It's like the saying goes.  If you're embezzling from a company you can never leave your job.  Here's it's "if you're doing shady ***** you can never sell your company." 

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Apple and Google are said to be threatening removal of Twitter from their app stores unless Musk restores some version of censorship which meets the approval of those two companies.  One potential response might be ant-trust or anti-competitive lawsuits which would expose the inner workings of those corporations in a court setting. 

On Friday Musk also suggested one alternative would be for his company to "build" their own version of the iPhone minus all the spyware and snooping apps used by Google and Apple stating "how hard could that be?"  An alternative device that offers the same features absent tracking your every move might appeal to a large percentage of the population.    

I'd definitely buy a Tesla phone. All of the whiney liberals hate Musk but gladly drive his cars because global warming and blah blah blah. Telsa makes good products, more in regards to the tech than the fit and finish, but definitely nice cars when you factor in the total package

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

I'd definitely buy a Tesla phone. All of the whiney liberals hate Musk but gladly drive his cars because global warming and blah blah blah. Telsa makes good products, more in regards to the tech than the fit and finish, but definitely nice cars when you factor in the total package

It's like the Musk meme I saw.  Not sure if it was here but it said:

The irony was after you quit you drove away in a car I built.  :w00t: