Big Tech/Social Media Censorship. Musk: Blackmailing Advertisers Can ***** Off.

1 minute ago, Orlando Tim said:

What law did Elon break? 

California has a law called the WARN Act. It requires that companies in CA with 100 or more employees give at least 60 days notice before layoffs.

Musk took ownership of Twitter on October 27th and began laying off employees 8 days later. 

6 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

What law did Elon break? 

They claim the WARN act by not giving 60 days notice of mass layoffs.

However...I've read reports that all "laid off" employees get full pay and benefits severance package for next 60 days. Full compensation for next 60 days while not having to work.

Also warn act has exception of unforeseen business circumstances....seems like it can be argued that coordinated politically motivated advertiser pullout would fall under that.  Especially since absolutely nothing has changed in Twitters moderation policies since Musk took over. 

Edited by BillsFanNC
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

Please tell me you're not dumb enough to believe NBC and other confirmed media liars as proof that Musk broke the law.

Even you can't possibly  be that dumb.

Oh wait you can, because you do it all the time. 

I mean, you could just look up the law before spouting off this nonsense. But that would require work and it’s easier to just reflexively say whatever supports your preferred outcome. 

4 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

I mean, you could just look up the law before spouting off this nonsense. But that would require work and it’s easier to just reflexively say whatever supports your preferred outcome. 

I did. Did you?

No wonder you're a dyed in the wool democrat. 

Accusing others of what you yourself are guilty of.

Reflexively say and defend whatever supports your preferred outcome is chigoose 101.

Edited by BillsFanNC
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

I did. Did you?

No wonder you're a dyed in the wool democrat. 

Accusing others of what you yourself are guilty of.

Reflexively say and defend whatever supports your preferred outcome is chigoose 101.

I literally cited the law. And linked to it. 

You’re just speculating and pretending. 

If you really think Musk’s actions fall within an exception to the law, cite that exception. 

16 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

I literally cited the law. And linked to it. 

You’re just speculating and pretending. 

If you really think Musk’s actions fall within an exception to the law, cite that exception. 

You did? Because the post of yours I responded to was you linking to an NBC news story.

Many, many links when you Google. I just picked the first one.

https://www.shrm.org/hr-today/news/hr-magazine/pages/0609fox2.aspx

And before your obvious next response that speculation was rampant everywhere before Musk took over that advertisers would pull out, which is true, keep in mind Musk tweeted many times that he was working with advertisers in the days after he took over. What those conversations were will tell the tale.

But I'm sure the world's richest man doesn't have a highly compensated legal team to consult on all these matters.

The WARN Act allows for three exceptions to 60-day notice with the burden of proof on the employer:

Unforeseeable business circumstances. This exception applies to closings and layoffs that are caused by business circumstances that were not reasonably foreseeable at the time notice would otherwise have been required.

4 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

You did? Because the post of yours I responded to was you linking to an NBC news story.

Many, many links when you Google. I just picked the first one.

https://www.shrm.org/hr-today/news/hr-magazine/pages/0609fox2.aspx

And before your obvious next response that speculation was rampant everywhere before Musk took over that advertisers would pull out, which is true, keep in mind Musk tweeted many times that he was working with advertisers in the days after he took over. What those conversations were will tell the tale.

But I'm sure the world's richest man doesn't have a highly compensated legal team to consult on all these matters.

The WARN Act allows for three exceptions to 60-day notice with the burden of proof on the employer:

Unforeseeable business circumstances. This exception applies to closings and layoffs that are caused by business circumstances that were not reasonably foreseeable at the time notice would otherwise have been required.

Here’s the WARN act for anyone interested. 

Here are the exceptions I could find:

1. California WARN does not apply when the closing or layoff is the result of the completion of a particular project or undertaking of an employer subject to Wage Orders 11, 12 or 16, regulating the Motion Picture Industry, or Construction, Drilling, Logging and Mining Industries, and the employees were hired with the understanding that their employment was limited to the duration of that project or undertaking.
[California Labor Code Section 1400 (g)]

2. The notice requirements do not apply to employees involved in seasonal employment where the employees were hired with the understanding that their employment was seasonal and temporary.
[California Labor Code Section 1400 (g)(2)]2. 

3. Notice is not required if a mass layoff, relocation or plant closure is necessitated by a physical calamity or act of war.
[California Labor Code Section 1401 (c)]

4. Notice of a relocation or termination is not required where, under multiple and specific conditions, the employer submits documents to the Department of Industrial Relations (DIR) and the DIR determines that the employer was actively seeking capital or business, and a WARN notice would have precluded the employer from obtaining the capital or business. (California Labor Code Section 1402.5) This exception does not apply to notice of a mass layoff as defined in California Labor Code Section 1400 (d).
[California Labor Code Section 1402.5 (d)]

Exceptions 1-3 clearly don’t apply. 4 probably doesn’t but he can probably come up with enough of a defense to avoid summary judgment if he obtained DIR approval. 

Companies break or skirt the WARN Act all the time.  It is more advantageous for the company to get people out of the building and pay the fines.  Most companies want to get past the reduction turmoil as quickly as possible.  It also limits stealing of trade secrets, disruption of customer contacts and equipment damage/theft.

EM broke the Act on at least one occasion with Tesla, he knew what he was doing.

9 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

California has a law called the WARN Act. It requires that companies in CA with 100 or more employees give at least 60 days notice before layoffs.

Musk took ownership of Twitter on October 27th and began laying off employees 8 days later. 

I am actually not versed at all in this law, but know a little about the federal version, as long as he is spying them the 60 days fully with full benefits why does that not constitute compliance? Federally it would be acceptable. 

ABC news this morning is exposing the CDC for lying about vaccines studies that benefit happened(specifically that it prevented spread), lied about outcomes, lied about studies of spread risk mitigation and conspired to undermine medical experts asserting natural immunity. 

It’s a pretty shocking about face 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

5 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

ABC news this morning is exposing the CDC for lying about vaccines studies that benefit happened, lied about outcomes, lied about studies of spread risk mitigation and conspired to undermine medical experts asserting natural immunity. 

It’s a pretty shocking about face 

You can't trust anyone anymore.  It's pathetic.

16 minutes ago, Doc said:

You can't trust anyone anymore.  It's pathetic.

it make you think if they had just reacted like as was the case for the swine flu years ago and locked down the elderly and vulnerable, encouraged vaccines for those with weakened immune systems, but left life as normal for the rest if the outcome would have been any different.

on CBS “Face the Nation” just now:

”And just to let our viewers who may not be aware know: the blue checkmark used to be a sign of credibility”.

Omg I can’t 😂😂😂😂😂

Edited by RiotAct
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Precision said:

Companies break or skirt the WARN Act all the time.  It is more advantageous for the company to get people out of the building and pay the fines.  Most companies want to get past the reduction turmoil as quickly as possible.  It also limits stealing of trade secrets, disruption of customer contacts and equipment damage/theft.

EM broke the Act on at least one occasion with Tesla, he knew what he was doing.

My old company must have violated it a few times then. I survived two mass layoffs of >50 people at a site that had 400ish employees. 

Zero warning. Walked out after security watched them clean out their desks.

FYI:

Audi

Audi of America, the Virginia-based unit of the German luxury automaker owned by the Volkswagen group, is among the latest companies to halt advertising on Twitter.

The company’s spokesperson Whaewon Choi-Wiles said on Thursday that Audi was going to suspend advertising on the platform but “will continue to evaluate the situation.”

General Mills

Minnesota-based General Mills—which produces Cheerios, Trix, Lucky Charms, and Cocoa Puffs cereals, among many others—was one of the latest companies to pause advertising on Twitter.

General Mills confirmed the move to the Associated Press on Thursday, with spokesperson Kelsey Roemhildt saying: “As always, we will continue to monitor this new direction and evaluate our marketing spend.”

General Motors

Detroit automaker General Motors (GM) announced that it was going to pause advertising on Twitter last week, as it said it’s trying to “understand the direction of the platform.”

In a press statement last week, GM said that it is currently “engaging with Twitter to understand the direction of the platform under their new ownership” and “as is the normal course of business with a significant change in a media platform, we have temporarily paused our paid advertising. Our customer care interactions on Twitter will continue.”

Mondelez International

Mondelez International, the makers of the popular Oreo sandwich cookies, also halted advertising on Twitter, according to The Wall Street Journal.

The company has not yet released an official statement acknowledging the ad pause or responded to media requests for comment.

Pfizer

Citing anonymous sources, The Wall Street Journal wrote on Thursday that pharmaceutical giant Pfizer has also suspended advertising on Twitter.

Volkswagen

The Wall Street Journal reported that Volkswagen—one of the biggest automakers in the world, second only to Toyota—is among the latest companies to halt advertising on Twitter.

There’s reason to believe more companies might soon follow this trend.

https://defiantamerica.com/heres-the-full-list-of-major-companies-who-pulled-advertising-after-elon-musk-decided-to-make-twitter-a-free-speech-platform-for-all/

2 hours ago, RiotAct said:

on CBS “Face the Nation” just now:

”And just to let our viewers who may not be aware know: the blue checkmark used to be a sign of credibility”.

Omg I can’t 😂😂😂😂😂

Ironic because the CBS logo used to be a sign of credibility...

• Like (+1) 3