Is it safe to say that Beane and this front office has misfired on the defensive side of the ball?

High Football IQ

Obviously a lot of fans have a love affair with Beane and he's no doubt made some great moves on the offensive side both in FA and the draft.

But as most fans are  also aware, the two best players on the defensive side weren't drafted by him and if anything are credited to Doug Whaley/McDermott in White and Milano. He also opted to let Shaq Lawson go who was drafted by the previous regime.

So where I'm going with this, if you look at guys like Oliver, Edmunds, Murphy, Klein, Addison, Taron Johnson, etc the results have been terrible in some cases, with the jury still out on some of the most recent FA and draft class.

Also this team regime touted Eric Washington as the best dline coach in the league and that's the one area this team has truly regressed in terms of pressure, sacks, turnover, etc so perhaps it might finally be time to stop looking to Carolina for players and coaches.

Bottom line - Right now this team is on pace to allow the most yards and points in franchise history and if that trend continues not only will this team likely miss the playoffs, but fans will likely start souring on this regime in a hurry despite getting finally getting this team back into the playoffs in 2 of last 3 years.

• Like (+1) 2

Your take is on the money but a little reactionary. I’m equally frustrated with the D and Josh Norman was not the answer at CB 3 or 4 let alone having to play CB 1😳 That said EJ Gains and Stars opt out coupled with Zo retiring and Lawson and Phillips departures really hurt. The voids aren’t filled. The linemen we picked up are good but we need a one technique A second corner and a big fast WOLB. The D would then be serviceable. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Lenigmusx said:

Your take is on the money but a little reactionary. I’m equally frustrated with the D and Josh Norman was not the answer at CB 3 or 4 let alone having to play CB 1😳 That said EJ Gains and Stars opt out coupled with Zo retiring and Lawson and Phillips departures really hurt. The voids aren’t filled. The linemen we picked up are good but we need a one technique A second corner and a big fast WOLB. The D would then be serviceable. 

Like I said, I'm not willing to write off everything this team has done on the defensive side of the ball the last few years.

But as of right now the reality is two key draft picks by Beane (Edmunds/Oliver) have had little to no impact and look woefully out of place in an NFL defense. Obviously we can probably salvage Edmunds by moving him to the outside where he belongs to replace Milano next year, but Oliver is the bigger concern watching him get thrown around week after week by NFL linemen, some who are pretty mediorce to boot.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but just think where this defense might be had we drafted Jeffrey Simmons instead who very much has looked like a top 3 draft pick who slid because of character concerns and is light years ahead of Oliver.

• Like (+1) 2

I think they're gonna have to get creative with what they got. They may have underestimated the impact of losing guys like Shaq Lawson and Jordan Phillips. Neither were gamebreakers but Shaq set the edge very well and played good against the run and JP flashed like once a game. I'm sure they're expecting a lot more from Ed Oliver and Harrison Phillips. And it seemed last night they were too cautious in dialing up blitzes or exotic pressure because they don't trust Josh Norman and Cam Lewis to cover in man. But I dunno what the difference is because they sat in zone most of the night and Tennessee ate up everything they gave them in the middle of the field. 

Obviously they missed Tre and Milano, those guys are two cornerstones on defense. I also felt like the whole team was just, I dunno, "blah" about the game. Maybe it was them having to reschedule and all that or their routine was thrown off. Maybe the communication is still a little off or maybe the whole unit just hasn't clicked due to a few new players. It also looks like a lot of those dudes are playing hurt. I know they all play hurt but maybe what they're dealing with is really impacting their play. I know Hyde and Poyer don't seem to be flying around as they usually do and both have been on the injury report and every time Hyde was in on a tackle last night he was slow getting up. They also just looked uninspired. Whatever it was, peez don't do it again cause it made us all sad. I just hope they take their anger over this loss and take it out on KC. I also kinda hope McDermott takes over defensive play calling. Not saying that's the solution to everything but all I know is, last time he took over playcalls, they got a lot better in a hurry. 

Edited by blacklabel

I agree our defense seems predictable, there is no blitz creativity. Players and coaches study so much tape on teams from year to year and coaches need to evolve there schemes. We see belichick's teams consistently do different things on a week to week basis depending who they play. I watch the game last night and see the titans run the same middle slants and again the Bills fail to adjust or even have a plan b to stop it. The players need to make plays but the coaches have to be better to. We are playing way to soft and way too predictable.

26 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I think they're gonna have to get creative with what they got. They may have underestimated the impact of losing guys like Shaq Lawson and Jordan Phillips. Neither were gamebreakers but Shaq set the edge very well and played good against the run and JP flashed like once a game. I'm sure they're expecting a lot more from Ed Oliver and Harrison Phillips. And it seemed last night they were too cautious in dialing up blitzes or exotic pressure because they don't trust Josh Norman and Cam Lewis to cover in man. But I dunno what the difference is because they sat in zone most of the night and Tennessee ate up everything they gave them in the middle of the field. 

Obviously they missed Tre and Milano, those guys are two cornerstones on defense. I also felt like the whole team was just, I dunno, "blah" about the game. Maybe it was them having to reschedule and all that or their routine was thrown off. Maybe the communication is still a little off or maybe the whole unit just hasn't clicked due to a few new players. It also looks like a lot of those dudes are playing hurt. I know they all play hurt but maybe what they're dealing with is really impacting their play. I know Hyde and Poyer don't seem to be flying around as they usually do and both have been on the injury report and every time Hyde was in on a tackle last night he was slow getting up. They also just looked uninspired. Whatever it was, peez don't do it again cause it made us all sad. I just hope they take their anger over this loss and take it out on KC. I also kinda hope McDermott takes over defensive play calling. Not saying that's the solution to everything but all I know is, last time he took over playcalls, they got a lot better in a hurry. 

It was reminiscent of a Dick Jauron defense😳

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Nester said:

Edmonds was a beast last year, give him time to heal, it looks like they rushed him back. 

Oliver and AJ seem like Whiffs so far. 

Hope i get served crow. 

Did Earl Thomas get Picked up yet? =-D

Edmunds got hurt attempting to make a tackle and bouncing off the WR resulting in a 70 plus yard score.... he’s too up and down. He’s not a MLB.

54 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

Obviously a lot of fans have a love affair with Beane and he's no doubt made some great moves on the offensive side both in FA and the draft.

But as most fans are  also aware, the two best players on the defensive side weren't drafted by him and if anything are credited to Doug Whaley/McDermott in White and Milano. He also opted to let Shaq Lawson go who was drafted by the previous regime.

So where I'm going with this, if you look at guys like Oliver, Edmunds, Murphy, Klein, Addison, Taron Johnson, etc the results have been terrible in some cases, with the jury still out on some of the most recent FA and draft class.

Also this team regime touted Eric Washington as the best dline coach in the league and that's the one area this team has truly regressed in terms of pressure, sacks, turnover, etc so perhaps it might finally be time to stop looking to Carolina for players and coaches.

Bottom line - Right now this team is on pace to allow the most yards and points in franchise history and if that trend continues not only will this team likely miss the playoffs, but fans will likely start souring on this regime in a hurry despite getting finally getting this team back into the playoffs in 2 of last 3 years.

I wouldn’t say terrible.... more like average. They went to the Carolina well and signed some pretty average/older players and they are being exposed as such. A lot more season left to turn it around....

Edited by ScottLaw

1 minute ago, fansince88 said:

Star Lotulelei. Levi Wallace. Tre'Davious White. Matt Milano. Del'Shawn Phillips. Not sure if those names mean anything to anyone but they didn't play this week and some missed time this year. These players were in the season plan

Tell that to the Patriots how had a zillion guys opt out due to COVID....they held Mahomes to 6 points in a half a couple weeks ago....

• Like (+1) 5

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Tell that to the Patriots how had a zillion guys opt out due to COVID....they held Mahomes to 6 points in a half a couple weeks ago....

You're so right. And 20 in the second half. Fire the whole bunch.

Edited by fansince88
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, fansince88 said:

You're so right. Fire the whole bunch.

Never said that.....Beane deserves all the praise in the world for getting Allen in here.... but he’s not perfect and his drafts are far from it....as are his attempts in FA to basically just sign a bunch of ex panthers.... but he found a star QB and deserves a ton of credit for finding and drafting him. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Never said that.....Beane deserves all the praise in the world for getting Allen in here.... but he’s not perfect and his drafts are far from it....as are his attempts in FA to basically just sign a bunch of ex panthers.... but he found a star QB and deserves a ton of credit for finding and drafting him. 

You replied to this before my edit. And they allowed 20 in the second half.