Sal Capaccio - WGR

krf139

Not sure about anyone else, but I'm getting pretty tired of Sal Capaccio on WGR.  While he's very passionate about the Bills and Western New York, he comes across as extremely arrogant and thinks he's a self-appointed spokesman for the Bills.  He routinely dismisses callers who make valid points - this morning, someone called in wanting to talk about the few playoff teams the Bills have defeated during McDermott's tenure and Sal immediately cut him off and said the point wasn't relevant.  When callers call in and it's unclear what they are trying to say, he starts screaming.  Admittedly, this can be frustrating but it comes across as arrogance.  It's also kind of tiring listening to him try to justify / explain every move the Bills make as if he's McBean's press secretary with the attitude of "you must listen to me because I'm a sideline reporter and used to coach football."  

Given his role is so visible on WGR, I certainly hope this is a position that eventually gets upgraded.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, krf139 said:

Not sure about anyone else, but I'm getting pretty tired of Sal Capaccio on WGR.  While he's very passionate about the Bills and Western New York, he comes across as extremely arrogant and thinks he's a self-appointed spokesman for the Bills.  He routinely dismisses callers who make valid points - this morning, someone called in wanting to talk about the few playoff teams the Bills have defeated during McDermott's tenure and Sal immediately cut him off and said the point wasn't relevant.  When callers call in and it's unclear what they are trying to say, he starts screaming.  Admittedly, this can be frustrating but it comes across as arrogance.  It's also kind of tiring listening to him try to justify / explain every move the Bills make as if he's McBean's press secretary with the attitude of "you must listen to me because I'm a sideline reporter and used to coach football."  

Given his role is so visible on WGR, I certainly hope this is a position that eventually gets upgraded.

He sounds like WNY's version of Mike Francesa.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, krf139 said:

If you feel that Sal is talking down to you that's a you problem.  The good news for you (bad news for me and others) is that you're hardly alone.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Greg S said:

He sounds like WNY's version of Mike Francesa.

True, although he has about 10% of the knowledge and isn't nearly as entertaining.  

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

If you feel that Sal is talking down to you that's a you problem.  The good news for you (bad news for me and others) is that you're hardly alone.

Actually, not, it's a Sal Capaccio problem.  Bills fans deserve better than a self-appointed press secretary for McBeane.  He not only talks down to callers, he also talks down to Howard and Jeremy in the AM.  

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont find it arrogant, I find it amusing the way he dismisses the usual bad/hot takes from grown men who are in a position in life to spend all day trying to call into a sports talk radio show.

I can see Sal as the kind of guy who walks into a bar like he's hot stuff because he's a sideline reporter.  That's the kind of vibe he gives off.  Having lived around the U.S. and listened to countless sports talk radio and beat reporters, we can do far better.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, krf139 said:

True, although he has about 10% of the knowledge and isn't nearly as entertaining.  

Actually, not, it's a Sal Capaccio problem.  Bills fans deserve better than a self-appointed press secretary for McBeane.  He not only talks down to callers, he also talks down to Howard and Jeremy in the AM.  

No he does not.  I listen to Howard and Jeremy every morning.  If I miss Sal's segment, I listen to it on demand.  Sal never talks down to them.

Sal will talk down to Schoop when Schoop is being as stubborn as a mule.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

That seems to just be the WGR way. Don't agree with caller, disconnect.. I guess its to avoid confrontation on the radio? IDK. In my field, if you disagree with someone you just back up your opinion with factual information and prove you know what you are talking about and why the other person's thinking is wrong. Their way is just unprofessional.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont find it arrogant, I find it amusing the way he dismisses the usual bad/hot takes from grown men who are in a position in life to spend all day trying to call into a sports talk radio show.

Problem is that his takes are often bad and doesn't want to have a holistic discussion about the team.  Someone bringing up a point about the lack of quality wins (including 0-2 against two very beatable playoff opponents) is a legitimate conversation.  There is no reason for him to not engage on that topic other than to be the media arm of One Bills Drive considering it doesn't fit the overall narrative.

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, krf139 said:

Sorry but I 100% disagree with your thread.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

No he does not.  I listen to Howard and Jeremy every morning.  If I miss Sal's segment, I listen to it on demand.  Sal never talks down to them.

Sal will talk down to Schoop when Schoop is being as stubborn as a mule.  

Completely disagree.  I listen every morning and have a different take.

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah I do too.  A lot of these callers have the stupidest takes and then argue against him.

• Like (+1) 6

Just now, F.W. Cyclone said:

Sorry but I 100% disagree with your thread.

You are entitled to your opinion, as am I.  I can't stand listening to the guy, which is unfortunate because he's definitely connected to the team and has inside information.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, krf139 said:

Sal is a fan. A big time fan.  Which immediate would disqualify him as an objective “sports journalist”.

You do not go to Sal for the straight talk.  And that is fine.

Everyone has their role and plays their part in this.